North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Factory JCW talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-359/)
-   -   JCW Aero Kit Bumper Help! Close Up Pictures I was rear-ended :( (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk/213311-jcw-aero-kit-bumper-help-close-up-pictures-i-was-rear-ended.html)

cory4281 06-30-2011 10:53 PM

JCW Aero Kit Bumper Help! Close Up Pictures I was rear-ended :(

Hey Folks-
Tonight i was rear-ended on my way home in my less and a week old Countryman. I have the JCW Aero Kit on my car, and being that its so new i'm having a hard time recalling what it looked like before the accident.
The major issue is that now there is a 1/8in gap between the painted upper bumper and the lower black plastic piece, the gap doesn't seem right to me, but I don't recall if it has been there all along :(
Does anyone out there have the Aero Kit on their Countryman and have some close up pictures of the seam between these two pieces that i could give to the insurance estimator\body shop. The kit and car are so new that neither my Mini dealer or the body shop know how it should look so i'm kinda stuck. I want to make sure the estimator includes this part in his write up if its going to need to be replaced, especially since the guy who rear-ended me want to deal with this outside of insurance....

Thanks in advance for any help you have.
Cory

GeoffreyM 07-01-2011 08:08 AM

Check here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-aero-kit.html

Doesn't look like a gap to me.

cory4281 07-01-2011 08:30 AM

I'm in need of a picture looking down as the seam at an angle. The gap isn't noticeable from the horizontal plane. Imagine the impact from the other car was only on the painted half, thus pushing it in and away from the black lower piece, leaving a gap where you can now see the ground when looking down on it.

cory4281 07-01-2011 08:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've attached a few files to show the gap i'm talking about, now that its light outside and i could get a picture ;)

bignose13 07-01-2011 02:16 PM

let me see what i can do..give me a few mins :-)

bignose13 07-01-2011 02:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
sorry about the dust ....

bignose13 07-01-2011 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more ..hope this helps..

minicmsall4 07-03-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by bignose13 (Post 3315626)
one more ..hope this helps..

Hey Bignose13, how did you get the JCW kit painted? I brought mine to a body shop and they said they can't do. the texture of the plastic would make the paint peel off easily. how did you get around it.

Thanks.

cory4281 07-05-2011 06:49 PM

Thanks so much this is exactly what i was looking for!

bignose13 07-10-2011 01:42 PM

no problem ..glad i could help...good luck

Originally Posted by cory4281 (Post 3318064)
Thanks so much this is exactly what i was looking for!

bignose13 07-10-2011 01:50 PM

i took it a body shop that mini dealer uses... they sanded and then painted..they said there may still be a little texture but i would not notice...i don't...or i could pay even more and they would sand it down completely smooth..but he thought it was over kill...i so the end result was well worth it...it gives it that finished look...
I did the body work through the dealer at time of purchase ..so "if" it does start to peel ..right back to the dealer i will go:nod:
But the bodyshop guy know there stuff..they gave me a great deal of confidence,if yours does not go some where else..
I know there is more than one place here in Utah that does..because i spoke to another shop also that did it.

Originally Posted by minicmsall4 (Post 3316632)
Hey Bignose13, how did you get the JCW kit painted? I brought mine to a body shop and they said they can't do. the texture of the plastic would make the paint peel off easily. how did you get around it.

Thanks.

minicmsall4 07-10-2011 09:53 PM

Thanks alot!!!!!! you have a video post on youtube right? That car looks amazing!!!

bignose13 07-11-2011 05:53 AM

Yes thats mine on youtube, my MA made it for me.He did it just before i picked it up...he forgot to put my Black Jack mirror caps on first though, i think it came out great..

Originally Posted by minicmsall4 (Post 3321151)
Thanks alot!!!!!! you have a video post on youtube right? That car looks amazing!!!