North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Factory JCW talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-359/)
-   -   JCW Factory vs Kit on MCS (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk/198270-jcw-factory-vs-kit-on-mcs.html)

early 10-14-2010 05:05 PM

JCW Factory vs Kit on MCS

I was planning on ordering a JCW with black headlights. Now the black headlights are not available on the JCW. What would you do? What is the difference (as a driver)
between an MCS with JCW Kit and Sport Suspension and a Factory JCW with Sport Suspension?

tazio 10-14-2010 05:25 PM

Brakes.

slinger688 10-28-2010 11:31 AM

There are hp differences as well.

early 10-28-2010 11:34 AM

Thanks. I understand an 18hp difference. It seems there must be more to the JCW performance wise, than 18hp and black face guages. I wonder if it sounds different.

slinger688 10-28-2010 01:32 PM

In my opinion, there is a deeper exhaust note on the stage 1. But I think that the factory sounds better. But that is subjective.

early 10-28-2010 01:33 PM

I have heard that before in reading other posts. I appreciate your observation. Thanks.

Augie05 10-28-2010 05:23 PM

Check this out for an interesting comparison. It is a bit old but I think it is still relevant:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/11/...i-vs-stage-ii/

Augie05 10-28-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3152560)
In my opinion, there is a deeper exhaust note on the stage 1. But I think that the factory sounds better. But that is subjective.

I agree 100%. I have owned both.

Also, on my car, the JCW tuned stage 1 exhaust droned on the interstate. The factory JCW exhaust does not drone at all. Much better in that respect for me but others don't have any issue with the stage 1 exhaust.

silhouette88 10-28-2010 08:40 PM

Just my two cents: I got my factory JCW exhaust installed last week and the exhaust note is so addictive. The thing I love the most is that with the longer resonator the exhaust is super quiet when you want it to be, but open up the throttle and you're turning heads.

Beyond that, put a tune (RMW or Alta / Cobb) on a JCW and you've got yourself a rocket. And I could be wrong but can't you get the blacked out head lights and install it on the JCW regardless?

early 10-29-2010 12:21 PM

Thanks. Good information and I guess I should look into the black casings as an after-delivery item.

dunphyj 10-31-2010 02:08 PM

just get them for a MCS... you can't get them from the factory but face it... the lights are THE EXACT SAME... so others will plug right in... only downside is you're payin something like 1100 for JUST black housings... but if the joey mod look is your thing then i say GO FOR IT! chances are you just dropped the same on a cold weather package and an armrest so what's the same money for headlights you''ll like more...

jcwrocket 11-13-2010 05:45 AM

If you're talking Factory JCW for the Countryman, there is no horsepower, suspension, or brake difference, at least at this point. The only thing that MINI is offering to make a Countryman a JCW right now is the Aero Kit, a different looking tailpipe, mirror caps, stripes, and some pretty sweet looking 19" wheels that remind me of the GP wheels. I think there are also a few small interior differences as well.

inimini2007 11-14-2010 06:59 AM

There might not be a JCW version of the Countryman...it might be a ProDrive version of the Countryman since they did most of the tuning on it.

I wouldn't expect to see it soon.

03mini-S 11-28-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by inimini2007 (Post 3160190)
There might not be a JCW version of the Countryman...it might be a ProDrive version of the Countryman since they did most of the tuning on it.

I wouldn't expect to see it soon.

What are you referring to? A street version JCW? The JCW options will be available starting in December.

early 11-28-2010 04:42 PM

I was referring to a non-Countryman - Cooper S or JCW. Not Countryman. I have since decided to keep my R53 until the Super charger goes and the get a 135i.

jcwrocket 11-28-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by early (Post 3166892)
I was referring to a non-Countryman

Oh! Then guess this shouldn't have gone in the Countryman JCW section! My husband drives a hardtop S, and I have a JCW Clubman, and I have to say he tends to whine when he drives my car because of the differences. If the biggest thing you are concerned about is the headlight color, then I would look into doing a Joey Mod. Aside from all the other things previously mentioned, breaks, hp, etc; I have to say one of my favorite things about my factory JCW is the sound the exhaust makes. I've sat next to a JCW kit, and there is a definite difference in the rumble that the factory exhaust gives out. Plus, I love to hear other MINI owners tell me they love the way my car sounds!

inimini2007 11-29-2010 04:22 PM

Could be a Street Version of the ProDrive MINI (WRC)...the engine...they did all the tuning and it's proven...JCW wasn't involved in the tuning of the WRC...

MNI LIMO 01-05-2011 05:28 PM

My JCW is the quitest MINI I've owned. The other two have the Borla exhaust and are loud. The JCW exhaust is very quite inside the car but sounds real good from outside the car. It is even deeper and louder when you have the sport button on.

Don

Weare138 06-29-2012 10:16 AM

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but with the JCW exhaust on a CM-S would you need to retune or reflash?