North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Factory JCW Talk (2009+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009-303/)
-   -   FJCW Brake Pad Selection: Still Want Good Bite (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009/327971-fjcw-brake-pad-selection-still-want-good-bite.html)

bluefox280 05-31-2018 09:19 PM

FJCW Brake Pad Selection: Still Want Good Bite

It's that time for my FJCW Clubman to have brakes completed since I worn through my current OEM set.
Looking through previous threads and searching turns up that rotors are easy to come by, depending on solid or slotted selection.

My main concern is pad choice; first, I love the initial bite and confidence the OEM pads provide.
I'm wanting the same result when doing the replacement.

Do I stick to OEM pads? Or use the commonly purchased EBC Red Stuff pads?
The current brake dust level I deal with without an issue; just don't want more.

Looking for input from others - thanks!

- Erik

Richieb0y28 07-13-2018 02:15 PM

I've used EBC for several years, but I just switched back to OEM because I bought the OEM complete set from ECS tuning. Once I wear through these OEM pads, I'll go back to EBC because they feel stronger and seem to have less brake dust.

Whine not Walnuts 07-13-2018 05:01 PM

You should get allot of "opinions" on this. On the EBCs, the Red Stuff are a ceramic so the dust is not as noticeable. The EBC Yellow Stuff are not ceramic and have allot of dust. They do have good bite but many will say once that are worn about 50% they loose allot of bite. Carbotech and Hawk are also other pads that many MINIs use.

yesti 07-13-2018 11:02 PM

Im liking the akebono pads, way less dust, only a smidge less initial bite but light to medium pressure is good even holding a little more speed than most cars around me then coming to a smooth stop. Very confidence inspiring pads. The stock pads were too jerky for me, initial bite wise. 2012 S.

Agbullet25 07-16-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by yesti (Post 4406134)
Im liking the akebono pads, way less dust, only a smidge less initial bite but light to medium pressure is good even holding a little more speed than most cars around me then coming to a smooth stop. Very confidence inspiring pads. The stock pads were too jerky for me, initial bite wise. 2012 S.

Unfortunately Akebono doesn't make a pad for the factory JCWs and the 4-piston Brembos.

yesti 07-16-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Agbullet25 (Post 4406766)
Unfortunately Akebono doesn't make a pad for the factory JCWs and the 4-piston Brembos.

Bummer, they are a good compound. I have used porterfield R4-S and they are a great street pad with good initial bite. Maybe less than stock but pads are always a compromise and dependent on driving style. Linear feel makes them easy to modulate and stomp on them = head towards windshield. Another confidence inspiring pad. And I did make sure they make them for an '09 Clubby JCW. :wink:

bluefox280 10-17-2018 05:30 PM

Gonna give the Hawk HPS pads a try on OEM rotors per some local recommendations.

- Erik

cornjuice 10-18-2018 08:16 AM

saw some posts regarding the 350z front pads fitting our brembos.. was thinking about trying out a set from StopTech.. have had great experience with them on my Subies.

Gelmobile 10-27-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bluefox280 (Post 4426893)
Gonna give the Hawk HPS pads a try on OEM rotors per some local recommendations.

- Erik

I have about 20% pad left on the fronts, MarioKart used and suggested getting the Hawk HPS, let us know how they feel...Thx!