Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Pazuzu
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods are difficult:
1. In general it is hard to just swap out parts here and there and get a better set up than BMW / MINI engineering, they spend a ton on R& D to achieve a balanced product that they can sell to the most buyers. We each want something different. You are not gonna spend $500 bucks and turn your MINI into am M3. $ 3500. + won't do it either. I would guess the JCW suspension is good for making your MINI a sports car like feel on the road but if you want a real weapon you need to go deeper. There is no end of opinions on what to go with because we each want something different. I went with KW V 3 , 22mm rear sway and Ireland Eng camber plates and had Mach V set it up for me with a 1.5" drop . Road going on the middle rebound settin and softest compression setting is more comfortable than the base MINI suspension, but tightest compression on track and it feels almost as tight as my Elise was, but my MINI will never be quite like a Lotus FRD vs ME RRD, but I LOVE my setup.
For me I scripted out just what exactly I wanted from my MINI , realizing that some things come at the expense of something else. I decided to pay more for flexibility through adjustability ( hence the V 3's)
I am not an automotive Engr and researched forever to make an informed choice.
I live with my choice and am happy with it but I appreciate even more how fantastic a Lotus Elise and E46 are right out of the box. These cars IMO need no mods (maybe tires and pads). To get more out of them the best 'mod' for me was to become a more skilled driver.
Working on it.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Chulander
1st Gear
Thank you guys for the insight and suggestions. I ended up not checking the box, and taking it one step at a time. Once I get used to the characteristics (and limits) of the stock suspension, I'll have a better idea of what moves I want to make then.

The waiting part really is difficult, but most importantly I just hope it gets built well and arrives safely.

I'm glad to see there's decent activity in the JCW garage. It was an embarrassment of riches in the Porsche community with 4+ highly active forums to participate in. Once I'm officially an owner, I look forward to being a part of the JCW fold, and hopefully meeting some of you guys in person someday.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Pazuzu
2nd Gear
Try to check out MINIs on The Dragon 2012 ,May 2 - May 6 - a GREAT time with 400+ MINI owners and a great way to get your MINI fix!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pazuzu
Mods are difficult:
1. In general it is hard to just swap out parts here and there and get a better set up than BMW / MINI engineering, they spend a ton on R& D to achieve a balanced product that they can sell to the most buyers. We each want something different. You are not gonna spend $500 bucks and turn your MINI into am M3. $ 3500. + won't do it either. I would guess the JCW suspension is good for making your MINI a sports car like feel on the road but if you want a real weapon you need to go deeper. There is no end of opinions on what to go with because we each want something different. I went with KW V 3 , 22mm rear sway and Ireland Eng camber plates and had Mach V set it up for me with a 1.5" drop . Road going on the middle rebound settin and softest compression setting is more comfortable than the base MINI suspension, but tightest compression on track and it feels almost as tight as my Elise was, but my MINI will never be quite like a Lotus FRD vs ME RRD, but I LOVE my setup.
For me I scripted out just what exactly I wanted from my MINI , realizing that some things come at the expense of something else. I decided to pay more for flexibility through adjustability ( hence the V 3's)
I live with my choice and am happy with it but I appreciate even more how fantastic a Lotus Elise and E46 are right out of the box. These cars IMO need no mods (maybe tires and pads). To get more out of them the best 'mod' for me was to become a more skilled driver.
Working on it.
Well said

Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Pazuzu
Mods are difficult:
Working on it.
+1 - as I noted above, that was my experience.

I tried figure out why the Sports Suspension seems to be better than the conventional wisdom on NAM. My conclusion is that it is balance. Mini adds 1mm to both the front and rear sway bars (in addition to stiffer springs and shocks) This changes the roll stiffness from 3.35 times stiffer in the front for the stock to 3.16 times stiffer in the front with the Sports Suspension. This cuts down on the understeer that everyone want to do. This arrangement also increases the overall roll stiffness increase by about 50% which is the same as adding a 19mm RSB. The difference is this increase is balanced between the front and rear, whereas with the 19mm RSB the roll stiffness is all concentrated in the rear which does nothing for the front end dive in corners. This tends to upset the balance of the car. IMHO, this is why there seems to much less "drama" and better feel with the sports suspension than with the "home brew".

Chulander - I am sure you will enjoy your choice. These are great cars no matter how they come. Keep us posted about what you think when you get your new car.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Eddie07S:

You are right, the balance of the car is a bit better with the Sport Suspension and a Rear bar than the NON-Sport Suspension and rear bar.

I have an '09 R-56 Justa with standard suspension and a 19mm bar & 16"wheels(wife's car). It handles OK for an around town roller, but I really like my '11 "S" w/Sport Suspension and a 22mm bar(soft setting) & 17" wheels!

The Sport Suspension with non-runflat tires is definitely a more firm ride but only really noticeable in cities with tons of pot holes. On the highway the car really shines! I might add some good shocks but that is it. The increase in front sway bar with the Sport Suspension and beefier springs must be the difference.

Last edited by SMOG; 04-21-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: 1st sentence did not make sense