Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Got Yellow Engine Light on Way Home From Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 AM
laneess
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Yellow Engine Light on Way Home From Dealer

Hi All!

Last night, I bought the 2011 's' I had test driven a few days ago. The salesperson (an 's' owner) filled it with gas and had it prepped while I did the final paper work.

Shortly after driving off the lot, the yellow check engine light ('no full power') came on. It was already way past closing time, so we couldn't just turn around. I'm hoping that it is just the gas cap, but the car didn't seem to be as peppy as it was when I test drove it.

It goes back this morning. Just for fun, does anyone want to make any guesses?

Kinda ironic. We traded in a trouble-free 8 year old car because we were concerned that it may be getting old enough that we may start to see some problems and big service bills.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Wow that stinks but I bet you it's something real minor. Mines been pretty much trouble free aside from two defective tyres. 7000 miles now, no rattles, no problems complaints at all. Please let us know what the dealer finds.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I hope it's minor and that you are a short drive to the dealer.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 AM
sean5294
2nd Gear
My 2011 did the exact same thing lol, Im going to take it in soon

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
Probably something minor, don't be discouraged. My 11 MCS with almost 7K has been problem free. On another note, we just purchased a pre-owned (sounds better than used doesn't it) 2005 Nissan Titan 4x4 with 72,000 miles from a local car lot. It test drove great, everything worked well and the Carfax showed just two previous owners, both local, and all routine service and repair work done by a local Nissan dealer. We drove it home, did some additional clean-up work and then ran some errands in it. I went out later that night to drive it to make sure all the lights worked properly and there it was, the dreaded yellow "Service Engine Soon" light. We went back and forth on purchasing the "4 Year 48000 Mile Extended Warranty / Service Contract" offered by the credit union and finally did. I guess we may soon see if that was a good decison or not. Hopefully it's also just a minor issue.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 PM
cesar418
3rd Gear
any news?? my car has 12000 miles, and the light came on while driving today, i parked the car, turned the car off, waited, turned it on again, the light was still on for a while and then it turn off by itself, but im a little scared cuz of it, idk if its cuz there is something wrong or cuz i was driving it a little agressive as soon as turned the car on :/

Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laneess
Hi All!

The salesperson (an 's' owner) filled it with gas...

...but the car didn't seem to be as peppy as it was when I test drove it.

Did the salesperson fill it with high octane? Is the sport button depressed?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably minor....on a related note, while our 2010 MCS was recently in for standard oil and filter service, the CHECK ENGINE light came on immediately on startup from the dealer parking lot. The service tech came right back out, took it back in, and within 10 minutes had the car ready to go....it was a sensor near the harness assembly which is very close to the oil filter. If it gets knocked or banged the wrong way, it can activate. I believe he either simply reset it or physically re-established the sensor connection near the harness. All was fine after that quick fix. He also indicated that there were a multitude of sensors throughout the car which could trigger that light. Given what he was replacing, however, he knew exactly where to go.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
Same thing happened to mine after I took it home a few months ago. Yellow engine light went on the night I drove it home - took off gas cap and reinstalled and light went away. Three days later, the car almost completely died on the way to work and would barely idle/ran. Turned out it had a defective high pressure fuel pump which is apparently a common problem for the JCW as there was a bad batch made. They had to flatbed the car to the dealer and they replaced the HPFP and it has run great since.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Jwp2
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to revise an old thread but...

I just got a 2011 JCW, 45000 miles. Had the car a couple months and love it.

Recently, after getting a new tank of gas, the half yellow engine light came on. I have NO appreciable loss of power. I read some of the posts and read the OBD2 codes...

1. no codes indicated...seems ridiculous that there are no codes.
2. so thought it might be the gas cap.
just checked it and it looks good....put it back on and light still on.
3. it does NOT come on right away, but after a few minutes it comes on
4. recently, I hit a monster pot hole...rattled my fillings and I lost a front running light bulb but now I am wondering if this is related.

Is there a sequence that folks have used to check other potential causes?

any help is appreciated...thanks!

Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Jwp2
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jwp2
sorry to revise an old thread but...

I just got a 2011 JCW, 45000 miles. Had the car a couple months and love it.

Recently, after getting a new tank of gas, the half yellow engine light came on. I have NO appreciable loss of power. I read some of the posts and read the OBD2 codes...

1. no codes indicated...seems ridiculous that there are no codes.
2. so thought it might be the gas cap.
just checked it and it looks good....put it back on and light still on.
3. it does NOT come on right away, but after a few minutes it comes on
4. recently, I hit a monster pot hole...rattled my fillings and I lost a front running light bulb but now I am wondering if this is related.

Is there a sequence that folks have used to check other potential causes?

any help is appreciated...thanks!
Help?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:03 PM
petery
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealer replaced thermostat on mine when I had CEL early this year.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:27 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to me 2 times. I had the high pressure fuel pump go. The light comes on and it goes into limp home mode. 30mph max. That's a warranty item so don't sweat it.

I had a blow off valve go while driving off the lot after dealer service. Same symptoms but the code will tell you what to do. This is not warranty item. Its a plastic valve with a rubber seal so it is a wear item. But it is an easy fix (3 allen screws) and is inexpensive. WHile you are in there get an Alta spring. It really wakes up the car and cuts turbo lag to nothing between shifts.

CEL with no power loss is probably something different. No code either? Maybe get a different code reader. There should be something there.