North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Factory JCW Talk (2009+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009-303/)
-   -   Does a 2009 JCW Need a Oil Catch Can? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009/205512-does-a-2009-jcw-need-a-oil-catch-can.html)

DomesticMuscle 03-03-2011 08:51 PM

Does a 2009 JCW Need a Oil Catch Can?

I have been reading up on some of the concerns, issues and problems people have had with their MINI's. One has been the concern with oil and water vapors through the PCV system causing carbon deposits on the intake valves and oil and water in the inter-cooler. With a direct injected motor there is no detergent additives from the fuel washing the back of the intake valves and oil and water in the inter-cooler reduces it's effectiveness. Is this a concern on the JCW's motor as well. It is a simple mod to do and I see that there already is a effective mod available for the Cooper S's. Does this mod (BSH Catch Can) work on the JCW equipped cars as well?

I am aware of the effectiveness of using a catch can as they are common mod on the Corvettes as well. The LS series of engines have a less than effective PCV system. Many of us just use breathers and delete the PCV altogether. I didn't go that route as my wife and I don't like the smell breathers allow to enter the car.

WayMotorWorks 03-03-2011 09:01 PM

An oil catch can isn't necessary, but a good addition. And it will work on your JCW. We've found the BSH can to be the best avail for the R56 cause the design of the baffle inside the can, and machined fittings to attach it to the valve cover.

minimini482 03-08-2011 01:49 PM

is this an easy install? are there any install instructions up on the forum or web?

Octane 03-08-2011 02:52 PM

I have a 2009 factory JCW and before I installed the BSH catch can a slight oil film could be seen on the inside of the turbo inlet hose but after I installed the BSH can ( at about 1000 miles) it remains dry. The BSH can is sized right to fit the Mini and was easy to install. The can on my JCW does not collect nearly as much as some of the others I have seen post here but it does collect moisture and oil enough to keep my turbo inlet dry and keep that stuff from flowing into the intake. BTW I also have the line where the BSH boost tap goes pluged so all the flow goes through the BSH catch can.

DneprDave 03-08-2011 03:43 PM

The install is very easy.

I asked the shop forman at my local MINI dealer about oil catch cans and he said that they haven't caused any problems on cars with them that have come through the shop and he's seen a few!

Dave

minimini482 03-08-2011 04:19 PM

so the BSH can is the best choice available then?

Octane 03-08-2011 06:52 PM

I don't know how well the Draft42 catch cans fit the Mini but they seem to have a very good baffle system.

JPMM 12-04-2011 09:16 AM

heres some photos of what is caught in a catch can

3 Attachment(s)
WOW:eek2:

7t-onemonte 12-04-2011 10:21 AM

From the looks of the last set of pictures, this will definately be the first addition to my 2012 MCS that will be arriving within a couple of weeks! :eek: That looks pretty nasty. My concern is having any warranty issues, do you think I would be better off asking the service manager at my MINI dealer, or just removing it whenever it has to go in for service?

MINIMM 12-04-2011 11:43 AM

Get the BSH can from Way Motor Works.

I put one on after I got my 2011 JCW.

It's an easy install.

lvegas 12-06-2011 07:12 PM

How do you empty the occ and how often do you have to empty it

JPMM 12-07-2011 03:03 AM

there is a drain screw, have'nt had the car long enough to get a baseline on dump frequency's( looks to be often)

Originally Posted by lvegas (Post 3411215)

DneprDave 12-07-2011 06:32 AM

I got a battery filler from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-filler-96571.html

It reaches to the bottom of the BSH oil catch can through the dipstick hole and does a good job of sucking the slop out.

I wrote OIL on it, so that I don't accidentally use it for something else.

I check the level whenever I check the oil, about every time I put gas in the car.
It fills faster when the weather is cold.

Dave

JPMM 12-07-2011 06:34 AM

I'm wondering what happens when it freezes up:eek:

JPMM 12-22-2011 03:47 PM

50cc's in two weeks! maybe a couple of hundred miles ,:eek2:I'm logging milage/sludge data now.

Originally Posted by lvegas (Post 3411215)

anitan1 12-22-2011 05:53 PM

I hate to be the stupid newbie here, but can somebody please explain exactly what an oil catch can does? And, at the risk of getting flamed, why go with this BSH can over one of those nice looking anodized ones or the cool looking M7 version?

JPMM 12-22-2011 05:58 PM

It has been asked here many times:nod:

Originally Posted by anitan1 (Post 3421167)
I hate to be the stupid newbie here, but can somebody please explain exactly what an oil catch can does? And, at the risk of getting flamed, why go with this BSH can over one of those nice looking anodized ones or the cool looking M7 version?

anitan1 12-22-2011 06:12 PM

Care to point me in the right direction?

Originally Posted by JPMM (Post 3421175)
It has been asked here many times:nod:

DneprDave 12-22-2011 11:16 PM

The BSH oil catch can has a baffle in it that makes it more efficient, it also has a dipstick so that you can check the level of the slop that it accumulates. That, and the dual boost port, that only pertains to 2010/2007 cars makes it the best choice.

Dave

bluefox280 12-23-2011 10:14 AM

I hate to be the stupid newbie here, but can somebody please explain exactly what an oil catch can does?

Simply put, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is designed to remove unburned hydrocarbons from above the cylinder head. The two ports (driver side and passenger side [closes during boost]) suck out the air from the valve cover that has oil vapor. With the passenger PCV plug and blocked, the evacuated air from the valve cover is directed through the catch can where the air is cooled to condense and fluid vapor. After leaving the catch can, the air is sucked into the inlet side of the turbocharger.

Since the turbo'ed "S"-model engines are direct injected, there's no fuel washdown on the backside of the valves in the cylinder head. As a result, the valves can have significant carbon build-up due to the oil vapor being baked on the valve. Many have documented that adding a catch has reduced the amount of carbon coking on the valves.

- Erik

Ch28Kid 12-23-2011 11:43 AM

The forum have a million post. Go to top right corner of the page and press search.

JPMM 01-01-2012 09:09 AM

85cc's at about 300 miles( 30 mile round trips, a few days of rain, temps from 20 to 50 degrees, with a fresh MINI oil,oil change)

Originally Posted by JPMM (Post 3411346)
there is a drain screw, have'nt had the car long enough to get a baseline on dump frequency's( looks to be often)

GreyLens 03-13-2012 02:46 PM

New NM Engineering Catch Can

Anyone used this one? Way Motor now sells this as well. I'm a big NM Eng fan and their system has the typical Good Looks of NM stuff.

stannen 03-19-2012 03:28 PM

I had a BSH catch can installed on my Clubbie about 9,000 miles ago - I check it when I check the oil but I have never seen anything on the dipstick. Maybe I should pull the can to see if there is anything in the bottom? Since most people have to empty theirs periodically, should I be concerned that I don't see anything on the stick?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by JPMM (Post 3426065)
85cc's at about 300 miles( 30 mile round trips, a few days of rain, temps from 20 to 50 degrees, with a fresh MINI oil,oil change)

DneprDave 03-19-2012 04:59 PM

Water is hard to read on the dipstick as it doesn't cling like oil.

I got one of these at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-filler-96571.html

It fits right down the dipstick hole and I can quickly suck the oil and water right out!

Dave