North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Factory JCW Talk (2009+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009-303/)
-   -   are your jcw bodykit bumpers a perfect paint match? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009/192571-are-your-jcw-bodykit-bumpers-a-perfect-paint-match.html)

bruno787 07-12-2010 05:05 PM

are your jcw bodykit bumpers a perfect paint match?

are your jcw bodykit bumpers,skirts, a perfect, exact paint match to the rest of the metal body?

my dealer installed jcw bodykit in chili red is quite a bit more orangey than the redder red body :( though its only noticeable if i tell you its dealer installed and you stare at it for quite some time. dealer says its because the bumpers are plastic and will surely not match the metal body parts.

akng 07-12-2010 05:13 PM

I think it all depends on who did the paint job. I have a 2009 Dark Silver Coooper S and my JCW Body Kit was painted look exactly like the body. And yes I have stared it at closely under various conditions and they still look the same to me!

jaydub 07-12-2010 06:28 PM

My chili red is a perfect match, even the finish looks the same. No orange peel.

etalj 07-12-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaydub* (Post 3088969)
My chili red is a perfect match, even the finish looks the same. No orange peel.

My aerokit bumpers are slightly darker

CHKMINI 07-12-2010 07:32 PM

Matching paint to different substrates is difficult and depends a lot on the controlled environment used when painting the pieces. If you're not happy with the results, especially a high orange peel finish, ask the dealer to repaint the plastic parts. I would be happy to give you a professional opinion...where are you located?

onefish2 07-12-2010 07:34 PM

I think the paint job on mine is a very good match.

mtbscott 07-13-2010 08:51 AM

Yes.

MotorMouth 07-21-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bruno787 (Post 3088874)
my dealer installed jcw bodykit in chili red is white a bit more orangey than the redder red body

I assume you don't mean YOUR aerokit is a different color since your car hasn't even started production yet.

Order it with your MINI and it should be painted at the VPC which should match as close as possible.

chinaleeexports 07-21-2010 07:28 PM

Mine was painted at the port and is a good match.
:thumbsup:

Vincent. 09-28-2018 07:01 PM

I planning on re-painting my Aerokit soon and was wondering if there is a 3m vehicle wrap that is textured for the wheel arch sections. I was also exploring the option of taking it to a truck bed liner shop like line-x to see if it can be done.

Has anyone tried these 2 methods?

njaremka 09-29-2018 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent. (Post 4423401)
I planning on re-painting my Aerokit soon and was wondering if there is a 3m vehicle wrap that is textured for the wheel arch sections. I was also exploring the option of taking it to a truck bed liner shop like line-x to see if it can be done.

Has anyone tried these 2 methods?

plastidip would be a cheap option... I don’t think either of the two choice you listed would be a decent match for the OEM trim

malibujoey 01-06-2019 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by bruno787 (Post 3088874)
are your jcw bodykit bumpers,skirts, a perfect, exact paint match to the rest of the metal body?

my dealer installed jcw bodykit in chili red is quite a bit more orangey than the redder red body :( though its only noticeable if i tell you its dealer installed and you stare at it for quite some time. dealer says its because the bumpers are plastic and will surely not match the metal body parts.

It's a bluer red. I've photographed mine a million times.

ECSTuning 01-08-2019 05:22 AM

Got a picture of that, interested to see if its the factory or prepainted body kits.

ApexinM3 01-08-2019 06:26 AM

Factory pre-painted parts will almost always be slightly different in color. Keep in mind: it is a different batch of paint in a different paint booth, spray gun, and painter at a different time, plastic versus metal, and different paint process due to flex additives for the plastic. Volvo is one of the few manufacturers that sell pre-painted bumper covers and they are always slightly different than the cars, especially with the older cars (due to sun bleaching/fading, especially reds). Honda and Toyota sell pre-painted mirrors and some moldings that are the same way. If your factory kit matched, you got lucky. Painting to match after the fact is always better if you're looking for true match, and even then there will always be a slight variance for the same reasons listed above, though the color can be tweeked to match closer. I manage a body shop so I speak from experience seeing this on the daily for the past 12 years.

ECSTuning 01-08-2019 06:51 AM

We had a bunch of the JCW body kist come in and I have a factory chili red jcw, what i have seen is the JCW body kit pre-painted were brighter because they were new and not exposed to UV light. As when the MINI aged the paint faded over time and the jcw body kits looked newer.

On the factory JCW body kit on a Factory JCW car the bottom did look a hair brighter but the curve on the side skirts could be light effect.
Thats why i was asking. :)

We had more pre-painted JCW body kits here than anyone in the world other than maybe MINI itself ;)

Worked in a body shop myself for years on high-end cars so I know what you mean on batches and then of course what the undercoat primer is. black vs grays.

malibujoey 01-08-2019 07:40 AM

Does ECS have any pre painted black side aero trims for the JCW? It would save me some dough not to buy primered but already painted.

ECSTuning 01-08-2019 07:51 AM

Nope, long gone in the JCW full body kits blow out, those were part of those full kits, MINI never made a just side skirt prepainted kit. Just the primed kit we made on our site.

We have the clubman https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51192161792/ and https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51192180855/ left. The countryman is the primed. We sold out of the painted.