North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Factory JCW Talk (2009+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009-303/)
-   -   Autocross (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/factory-jcw-talk-2009/178007-autocross.html)

marks89m3 11-01-2009 11:07 AM

Autocross

1 Attachment(s)
When I ordered my 2009 JCW w/ the JCW suspension kit, i was a little worried it would be too much for daily driver.....I was right it is stiff not too much for me but right on the edge. BUT did my first autocross yesterday......WOW am I happy I did. It was like a shifter kart out there. Very flat, super steering response, went thru sections other cars were lifting flat to floor. This is were it is happiest!!

Danyes 11-05-2009 10:46 AM

Welcome to the JCW AutoX club ;).

This thing really rips it up on the track. I was able to place first in our local autox novice class this year, but it will be interesting to see how it does with the big boys next year.

Wizeguy9999 11-05-2009 12:55 PM

What classes did you guys run in? The JCW suspension knocks you out of stock class, as well as the other posters springs.

I stayed within the stock class rules for my rookie year this year, and was able to take the KC Region and Mid-West Divisional BS titles this year. Thinking of getting a full set of AST coilovers and heading to STX for next year.

Danyes 11-05-2009 12:58 PM

I ran Novice this year, but I am probably going to run STX next year and see how it goes, we have some pretty stiff competition in BS here, and I don't want to take my sway bar off.

spinned 11-05-2009 08:30 PM

I ran novice and raced with the local Porsche club. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed besting some of the Porsche's. A few smoked me though... like a track modified old 914. I have H&R RSS coilovers a 22mm rear sway bar and adjustable rear end control arms. The H&R RSS are VERY stiff. I wouldn't recommend them for daily driver use unless you are hard core.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/...da4c38d8_b.jpg

skippydog 11-05-2009 09:57 PM

Looks like fun. I cant wait to get back out on the track and play!

mtbscott 11-11-2009 06:32 AM

I ran mine once with the local BMWCCA group. They use a weighting system that puts our car in C class I think. I was up against some modified R53 and R56 S's, some WRX's and Mazdaspeed 3's, and a couple of Z3 and Z4 M's. My car was quite respectable with factory Sports suspension and Falken Azenis RT615 tires. For the most part people who beat me were better drivers not better cars.

NightFlyR 11-11-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by spinned (Post 2913219)
I ran novice and raced with the local Porsche club. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed besting some of the Porsche's. A few smoked me though... like a track modified old 914. I have H&R RSS coilovers a 22mm rear sway bar and adjustable rear end control arms. The H&R RSS are VERY stiff. I wouldn't recommend them for daily driver use unless you are hard core.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/...da4c38d8_b.jpg

I have been Autocrossing for over 25 years with the Porsche club, and in many types of cars. My Mini is pretty good in stock class, but nothing out runs the Modified 914 I drive. When all out speed, turn in and FTD is a must you just cant beat a 914.

Evil XT 01-25-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wizeguy9999 (Post 2912940)
What classes did you guys run in? The JCW suspension knocks you out of stock class, as well as the other posters springs.

I stayed within the stock class rules for my rookie year this year, and was able to take the KC Region and Mid-West Divisional BS titles this year. Thinking of getting a full set of AST coilovers and heading to STX for next year.

If ordered from the factory it doesnt knock you out of stock class. Now that the JCW cars are in C stock, you are going to need that extra little advantage,,,

Evil XT 01-25-2010 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by marks89m3 (Post 2910323)
When I ordered my 2009 JCW w/ the JCW suspension kit, i was a little worried it would be too much for daily driver.....I was right it is stiff not too much for me but right on the edge. BUT did my first autocross yesterday......WOW am I happy I did. It was like a shifter kart out there. Very flat, super steering response, went thru sections other cars were lifting flat to floor. This is were it is happiest!!

Do you know if it was installed at the port, factory, or dealer?

Wizeguy9999 01-25-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Evil XT (Post 2965418)
If ordered from the factory it doesnt knock you out of stock class. Now that the JCW cars are in C stock, you are going to need that extra little advantage,,,

Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't matter. If you order a brand new JCW with JCW suspension that is destined for the US, it's not put on until after it leaves the factory. That distinction makes the JCW suspension kit illegal in stock class.

Also not sure how moving from B to C changes the plight of the JCW. It still has to deal with the RX8 which also moved down.

GreyLens 01-29-2010 03:45 AM

AutoX Newbie / Junky

I ran my first autoX and placed 7th out of 20 registered novice drivers. I ran C stock. It was a blast and I'm hooked. I'm not going to run novice for the rest of the year. I don't care if I win...just want to learn to drive much better and prep the car for more fun.

Moving to STX and looking at doing a full set of AST 5200's, Vorshlog Camber Plates and Swift or Hypercoil Springs in the next few months.

I've read in several forums that the largest tires that fit are 215-40-17's but I found one reference that says 235-40-17's will fit as well. I'm looking at RE-11's and new wheels under 16 lbs instead of the OEM 23 lbs ones.

I'll be doing about 6 track days a year and about 20+ autocross events but this will still be my daily driver. Within a couple of years I plan to do more track time and prepare to do some time trials. I'm very interested in learning how to tune and test the suspension for the three types of driving and for specific tracks. I realize the proposed config is very high end but I'm willing to spend for it if it works. I'm new to all this but I've read many of the forum threads on suspension ideas, Fred Puhn's book, several autoX books and I'm learning a lot. I'm not seeking to jump into a "suspension war" but would love any comments you might have.

fignewton 01-29-2010 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by GreyLens (Post 2969039)
II've read in several forums that the largest tires that fit are 215-40-17's but I found one reference that says 235-40-17's will fit as well. I'm looking at RE-11's and new wheels under 16 lbs instead of the OEM 23 lbs ones.

As a past Miata warrior, I can say that while extra tire width looks great, it does not necessarily = better traction. Heat generation plays a huge part in getting the tire sticky. Too wide a tire will not necessarily get up to temp to give you best results. THe exception is if you can do back-to-back runs where they don't have time to cool. otherwise, I found I never had the ability to heat them up in the paddock area before getting in the staging lines with my class. Starting on cold/cool tires was the norm. Just something to think about.
Fig

Evil XT 01-29-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wizeguy9999 (Post 2965453)
Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't matter. If you order a brand new JCW with JCW suspension that is destined for the US, it's not put on until after it leaves the factory. That distinction makes the JCW suspension kit illegal in stock class.

Also not sure how moving from B to C changes the plight of the JCW. It still has to deal with the RX8 which also moved down.

Where is it installed then? If its installed at the port or the dealer I dont think i can deal with a bunch of morons installing it and then road testing it since its not their own car.
I thought some of the changes to the stock classes is if you order your vehicle brand new from the factory with any installed parts from the factory are considered ok for stock class. I know about the RX8.

GreyLens 01-29-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by fignewton (Post 2969056)
As a past Miata warrior, I can say that while extra tire width looks great, it does not necessarily = better traction. Heat generation plays a huge part in getting the tire sticky. Too wide a tire will not necessarily get up to temp to give you best results. THe exception is if you can do back-to-back runs where they don't have time to cool. otherwise, I found I never had the ability to heat them up in the paddock area before getting in the staging lines with my class. Starting on cold/cool tires was the norm. Just something to think about.
Fig

Point taken. I'm looking to optimize between cool looks, autoX and track days. On track day's the heat issue should be straight forward and heating the wider tires, with the right camber settings and air pressure, should help take full advantage of the extra width. But, from what I understand about autoX you're right about not getting enough run time to get the tires hot enough to make much difference. I'm likely to stay with the 205's and may do the 215's for the heck of it. They're also much cheaper than the 235's. But, if anyone uses the 235's I'd love to get your take.

radgator1 01-30-2010 08:20 AM

Anyone Autocrossing a JCW Clubman? Is it the same class as the Cooper? Just wondering because I am toying with the idea but I have the stock suspension.

JamesHunt 01-30-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by GreyLens (Post 2969404)
Point taken. I'm looking to optimize between cool looks, autoX and track days. On track day's the heat issue should be straight forward and heating the wider tires, with the right camber settings and air pressure, should help take full advantage of the extra width. But, from what I understand about autoX you're right about not getting enough run time to get the tires hot enough to make much difference. I'm likely to stay with the 205's and may do the 215's for the heck of it. They're also much cheaper than the 235's. But, if anyone uses the 235's I'd love to get your take.

235 ftw:thumbsup:

Atomic S 01-30-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by GreyLens (Post 2969404)

I have been running 225's R6 Hoosiers but they don't have enough time to warm up doing Auto-x! On a road track they work perfect! The A6 Hoosiers are made more for auto-x, but I haven't tried them.

GreyLens 01-31-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JamesHunt (Post 2970091)
235 ftw:thumbsup:

Excellent. I see you're running 17x7.5's with 235-40-17's...just what I'm thinking of doing. Glad to see they fit. Any issues I need to consider first?

GreyLens 01-31-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic S (Post 2970309)
I have been running 225's R6 Hoosiers but they don't have enough time to warm up doing Auto-x! On a road track they work perfect! The A6 Hoosiers are made more for auto-x, but I haven't tried them.

I'm going to stay with street tires and run in the STX class. Looking at RE-11's.

Wizeguy9999 01-31-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by GreyLens (Post 2971041)
Excellent. I see you're running 17x7.5's with 235-40-17's...just what I'm thinking of doing. Glad to see they fit. Any issues I need to consider first?

For STX (stock class has to be stock rim size)? If you are going to stx, why not go 17x8?

Wizeguy9999 01-31-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Evil XT (Post 2969249)
Where is it installed then? If its installed at the port or the dealer I dont think i can deal with a bunch of morons installing it and then road testing it since its not their own car.
I thought some of the changes to the stock classes is if you order your vehicle brand new from the factory with any installed parts from the factory are considered ok for stock class. I know about the RX8.

The point is that the JCW suspension isn't installed at the factory, so it's not stock class legal. It's either installed at the port, or it's installed at the dealer. This is why those parts are listed as "dealer options" when you order the car from MINI.

GreyLens 02-01-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wizeguy9999 (Post 2971052)
For STX (stock class has to be stock rim size)? If you are going to stx, why not go 17x8?

My understanding is that I can only do a 7.5 on STX...I'll look closer at the rules. If I can do wider by the rules I might do so. Adds a little weight but... I just learning this stuff.

GreyLens 02-01-2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wizeguy9999 (Post 2971052)

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the rules and the STX 2WD can run up to a 9" wide wheel. Cool. So, the 235-40-17 on a 17 X 8" Wheel would fit ok? That would be awesome.

Wizeguy9999 02-01-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by GreyLens (Post 2971822)
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the rules and the STX 2WD can run up to a 9" wide wheel. Cool. So, the 235-40-17 on a 17 X 8" Wheel would fit ok? That would be awesome.

Depends on the wheel, but I've seen a 17x8 work.