Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Aftermarket LSD for the Factory JCW????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Like Eddie said the Quaife LSD is great for a daily driver while still being a huge improvement for AutoX. Plus it's half the price the Giken Diff. We did some comparison on the track and dropped 3 seconds a lap with just changing the diff. As for install the engine doesn't come out. We do them all the time and just drop the trans. The Diff won't void your warranty except on the trans. But they won't even know you have it unless you tell them. If you want to bring it to Atlanta we are happy to do it for you.
I wish I was nearby.

3 seconds that is a huge gain! Yeah I could tell instead of my car digging in and accelerating like my old car It was just braking the inside wheel and still spinning quite a lot. So naturally I started getting on the gas a bit later.

I'm not racing professionally just HPDE so the quaife would probably be fine. I would however like to know the real difference between the two. Double the cost may be ok to me if it's double the performance if that makes sense.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What bugs me about the Quaife is if the inner wheel looses contact with the ground, the that LSD goes open. At the track I do see the inside wheel lifting all the time.
The OS Giken maintains traction continuously. BTW, who said doing a LSD requires engine removal?? Should take a qualified tech no more that 6-8 hours complete.
My guy does a clutch in 4 hrs total.
Lets ge a group buy on the OS Giken. The dealer in CO will help us

Old 04-09-2015, 07:23 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Indimanic
What bugs me about the Quaife is if the inner wheel looses contact with the ground, the that LSD goes open. At the track I do see the inside wheel lifting all the time.
The front wheel? I highly doubt the cars are lifting a front wheel considering the front weight bias. I've unloaded the front tire "enough" to cause the inside tire to lose traction with the Quaife but that's typically only when hitting a bump in a corner. Lifting the inside rear tire is very common with minis and other FWD cars.

Originally Posted by Indimanic
The OS Giken maintains traction continuously. BTW, who said doing a LSD requires engine removal?? Should take a qualified tech no more that 6-8 hours complete.
My guy does a clutch in 4 hrs total.
Lets ge a group buy on the OS Giken. The dealer in CO will help us
The OS Giken is absolutely a great diff but you'll get almost all of the performance improvement using a Quaife. Any clutch-based diff is going to require tuning to get everything out of it which means constantly pulling the trans to change ramp angles and lockup percentages. Hopefully you can make educated guesses on these settings and not have to pull the diff again. The Giken also will require suspension setup changes while the Quaife tends to work really well with existing setups and doesn't drastically change off-throttle handling characteristics of the car. For someone shooting for a podium at the national championships an OS Giken makes complete sense. For someone just having fun with their cars at local auto-x events, HPDEs, twisty mountain roads, etc the Quaife is a more sensible solution. The Quaife also requires less maintenance.

I'd like to see someone do a mini clutch swap in 4 hours. I think he's pulling your leg. I've done a diff swap in a mini in about 10 hours and I would suspect a tech with a lift would take a little less time. Probably about 8 hours if they're hitting everything with a torque wrench and being careful putting the trans back together.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
I was wondering about the time to do a diff...my shop hit me for 10 - 12 hrs. OK maybe a little high but I also hope that the time spent was with the torque wrench and taking car.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:16 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
The OS Giken is absolutely a great diff but you'll get almost all of the performance improvement using a Quaife. Any clutch-based diff is going to require tuning to get everything out of it which means constantly pulling the trans to change ramp angles and lockup percentages. Hopefully you can make educated guesses on these settings and not have to pull the diff again. The Giken also will require suspension setup changes while the Quaife tends to work really well with existing setups and doesn't drastically change off-throttle handling characteristics of the car. For someone shooting for a podium at the national championships an OS Giken makes complete sense. For someone just having fun with their cars at local auto-x events, HPDEs, twisty mountain roads, etc the Quaife is a more sensible solution. The Quaife also requires less maintenance.

I decided to go for the Giken anyway. I talked to a few more people, and have a local shop that's accustomed to setting these up for the MINIs. I guess I will find out if I made the right choice or not after it's installed.

I do plan on being competitive with this car over time. I suppose I need to get out to some autocrosses first haha. But until then I'm doing some HDPEs. Hopefully i'm not entering a world of pain. Worst case, I can have it swapped out for another 1600 bucks + the price of the quaife later if it ends up being a huge mistake.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Having read most threads on LSDs, it seems people are happy with either; both are good. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Having read most threads on LSDs, it seems people are happy with either; both are good. Let us know how it works out for you.
Wohoo, installation starts today! Going to get the car back tomorrow afternoon.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
nice - and as people mentioned, wouldn't worry about lifting a front wheel

Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
OSGiken is installed. Took my regular before work canyon. Has some long sweepers then some really tight autox-like stuff.

First off, I must say without a doubt if you're really into driving and ever feel the inside wheel spinning on corners do yourself a favor and get an LSD right away. I had forgotten how much better it is to have that extra traction to just squirt right out of corners rather than spinning a wheel. OSGiken or Quaife I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Since the JCW is fairly high horsepower this LSD makes a tremendous difference. I'm going to give my feedback here in bulleted list form:
  • The mid corner bite is so good I just rocket out of corners
  • On longer wider sweepers the car just tucks in and pulls in the direction you're heading
  • If you add throttle too early you can somewhat induce some understeer (duh), I found that if I unwind the wheel a bit in then tucks in more. if that makes sense. It's hard to describe the sensation of it kicking in. When you get that big JCW torque it mid corner it definitely moves the car around a bit and you have to do some minor corrections. With that said no drama it just pulls out of the corner super fast.
  • On tight corners you can really fell that pulling effect. There are a couple of hairpins on my tight road segment where I would spin the heck out of the inside tire. It just bites and goes now.
  • I feel like throttle modulation now controls the dynamics of the car through corners better. I always felt this was a strong point of the JCW but it's even better now.
  • The OSGiken doesn't make any noise I could hear
  • I can DEFINITELY carry way more speed through corners with the car now.
  • I can't wait to take this back to the track, and measure my time. (MRLS with stock diff and JCW suspension I was able to get a 1:56.8)

I'd like to hear some other OSGiken owners chime in on their experience. Also if anyone has questions ask away, I'll try my best to answer them.

The following users liked this post:
frozenwaffles (08-16-2019)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Maybe it is the other suspension changes, but I don't get quite the same "jump" in feeling with the Qauife. The Quaife seems to be subtle in the way it works. It is definitely there and the car pulls really strong when the wheel is cranked tight (no autocross yet). And it is there in low traction situations; even straight line. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I put it in. On the track the car seem much more competent in everything I ask it to do. I am sure that this feeling of competence is shared between the Quaife and the suspension.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:26 PM
minie
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had anyone done the LSD for a GP2? I really wish they have the proper LSD and not this E-LSD ********.