Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

MINI JCW Hardtop finally ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:30 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kurzius
It's not a Mini Cooper and you spend the money on the things that make you happy and you want.My little car was bought on a goof when I bought my wifes BMW and I have never had so much fun with any of my cars and for sure have never regretted spending over 40K for it.If you want a 135 then buy it,we all have choices in life,I doubt if it will ever be as fun and special as this new JCW is going to be,and will it make you smile like the Mini
Ditto - when I got up into the ~38k range on my non-JCW/non-NAV MINI, I started thinking to myself "I'm getting into the price range where I could be getting a year-old Elise or Boxster 'S' instead. But I fell in love with my wife's MINI, not a Porsche or Lotus, so in the end I went with a MINI for myself. 18 months and 32k miles later, I've never regretted my choice for an instant.

A friend of mine at school just took delivery of a 135i, and while it's a great little car, it just doesn't "do it" for me the same way my MINI does.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Bandit
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a sweet ride!!

my dealership told me I couldnt order an 09 till september.

I was planning on ordering an 08 in about a month. I hope i still can :(

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by flipflopWS6
Sounds like a sweet ride!!

my dealership told me I couldnt order an 09 till september.

I was planning on ordering an 08 in about a month. I hope i still can : (
Find another dealership,but you can only order the 09 JCW now,not the standard cooper or S

Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Bandit
3rd Gear
Find another dealership,but you can only order the 09 JCW now,not the standard cooper or S

so i can order an 08 S right?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by flipflopWS6
so i can order an 08 S right?
Yes you can

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Bandit
3rd Gear
phew. haha. thanks a ton

Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not a Mini Cooper and you spend the money on the things that make you happy and you want.My little car was bought on a goof when I bought my wifes BMW and I have never had so much fun with any of my cars and for sure have never regretted spending over 40K for it.If you want a 135 then buy it,we all have choices in life,I doubt if it will ever be as fun and special as this new JCW is going to be,and will it make you smile like the Mini
Thanks. And while we're making hugely subjective comments, I doubt the new JCW will ever be as "fun and special" as the original R53 JCW. The steering alone falls way short. My initial experience with the 135's 300 hp and RWD chassis was quite... special. A good suspension treatment and some engine tuning would make it very, very special. But I understand, to each his own.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
So, for $40k you could spec out a very sweet 135i. What am I not getting here? (And I am a current JCW owner and 5+ year MINI owner, so I get MINIs.) If you need four seats and performance/handling, the 135i seems like a slam dunk. Please, enlighten me.
What's not to get? I'm sure the 135i is very fast but it's not very good looking in my opinion, it's got a 3 litre engine and it's not a Mini. The Mini is not only exactly what I want but also the practical choice for living in New York City and with today's gas prices.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 AM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Do all of the carbon-fiber bits (dash, scoop, mirror backs, diffuser and hatch handle) come with the JCW kit? I know that when I ordered all of those parts with my non-JCW car (except for the diffuser, since I have a convertible), I got positively raped on the dealer installation charges. As an example, just the three-piece CF dash was $600 more to make it part of the order and have the dealer install it than it would have been if I had just bought it from Morristown and installed it myself.

Fortunately, when it came time for me to buy the rest of my JCW carbon parts, I had learned my lesson and bought the CF shifter trim ring, cupholder rings and downtubes from Morristown and did the installation myself.

Sweet car, BTW - I know you're going to love it.
No none of the CF bits come on the car but I'm doing what you ended up doing, buying them at 20% off and installing them all myself.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
AlexM
1st Gear
Ordered mine too! Mine gets to take the long boat ride through the Panama Canal so I get to wait an extra couple of weeks Should be worth it tho

Options are as follows:

Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Lightning Blue Metallic Paint
Roof and Mirror Caps in Black
Black Bonnet Stripes
Pacific Blue Leather/Carbon Black Cloth
Color Line Pacific Blue
Chrome Line Interior
Xenon Headlights
Read Fog Lamps
Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror
MINI HiFi Sound System
JCW Sport Suspension
JCW Aero Kit

Just a bit excited

Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I got the whole list of options for the JCW from the dealer today, but nothing specifies what is standard. Besides the tuning kit (207 hp), what other JCW bits come standard (brakes, strut brace, rotors suspension, wing, etc.)?

The options don't seem to offer any performance items.

Also, a big concern, no LSD will be available on the JCW (ELDC comes standard). I'm not real certain that I'm comfortable with that.

I gotta figure it all out by Saturday when I go to the dealer for the final configuration. Of the dealer's first two allocations, one will go to his lot and the other to me.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
baggerben
2nd Gear
yep no real LSD. just like the 135/335 its an electronic diff.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
key_lime_hamster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by baggerben
yep no real LSD. just like the 135/335 its an electronic diff.
upside: at least the brakes sound upgraded (to better handle the rigors of an eLSD)

downside: the difference between sending power to the wheel with grip (LSD) and trying to dampen power to the spinning wheel (eLSD) is quite the difference, IMHO.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:54 PM
flaco
4th Gear
Great car. Congratulations!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
woj
2nd Gear
If you want a 135 then buy it,we all have choices in life,I doubt if it will ever be as fun and special as this new JCW is going to be,and will it make you smile like the Mini
I did. Keeping the MCS for non-dry weather use. From a bang for buck viewpoint, it made more sense to order a 135i so, I ordered a 135i, I will add the Dinan software and voila, 380+ hp, 420 ft-lbs. torque....and if that isn't fun, we all have issues!

Last edited by woj; 05-02-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
fbirch
2nd Gear
To each his own

Thanks. And while we're making hugely subjective comments, I doubt the new JCW will ever be as "fun and special" as the original R53 JCW. The steering alone falls way short. My initial experience with the 135's 300 hp and RWD chassis was quite... special. A good suspension treatment and some engine tuning would make it very, very special. But I understand, to each his own.
If BMW didn't make the Mini, I'd give the 135 a close look. The one aspect of the 135 that's a turn off for me is the sheer weight of the thing. While being billed as the "little" BMW, the modern-day 2002, etc., it's actually a pretty heavy car. While it certainly has more than enough power to overcome its weight, the sensation of driving a heavy car with a powerful engine is totally different from driving a light car with a less powerful engine, even if both cars have exactly the same power-to-weight ratios. It's completely subjective, but given a choice between two cars with roughly comparable power-to-weight ratios, I generally prefer the driving experience of the lighter one.

I traded my previous-generation 330i for my '08 JCW (dealer-installed stage 1 JCW), and I'm having so much more fun with this car. Before the 330i, I had an R53, and I missed it every time I drove the 330i. Comparing the R53 and the R56 there are pros and cons both ways, but I prefer the new car overall. I plan to check out the new factory JCW (stage 2) when they start hitting the roads around here, and may trade up to it next year. From the technical descriptions, it appears to have a more rev-happy engine, which I consider a definite plus. For the same money, I'd take a stage 2 JCW over a 135 and it wouldn't be a close choice.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:39 AM
dpranouskes
2nd Gear
Ordered mine and it will be here July 14ish.

Chili Red with Black Roof
Premium & Convenience
Xenon Head Lamps
Sport Suspension
Rear Fogs
Mini HiFi Sound
and JCW Aero Kit

Price $34,450

Now the slow wait for the ride on the boat from the other side of the pond.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
DC1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dpranouskes
Ordered mine and it will be here July 14ish.

Chili Red with Black Roof
Premium & Convenience
Xenon Head Lamps
Sport Suspension
Rear Fogs
Mini HiFi Sound
and JCW Aero Kit

Price $34,450

Now the slow wait for the ride on the boat from the other side of the pond.

How much are they charging you for the JCW Aero kit and is that the factory installed or the dealer installed? Seems like you are getting a good deal. Mine is not completely spec'd out yet (due tomorrow). My JCW aero kit is dealer installed at 2550.00.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 PM
dpranouskes
2nd Gear
That price includes everything. Especially the Aero Kit.

I have read that the Aero Kit that dealers will be installing is not the same as the factory kit.

Aero kit from the factory installed is $1,250. Before you order anything through them ask to see:

Bulletin# PB-04-25-08

That is the actual document that tells the dealers what they can order and the MSRP from Mini.

Some dealers I was talking to would order the car, but according to them, things like the areo kit would be installed at the dealership. My wife works for a car dealership (not mini, darn) and that is where they make some serious profit.

If they will not show you that bulletin, let me know and I can either fax or e-mail you a copy.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dpranouskes
That price includes everything. Especially the Aero Kit.

I have read that the Aero Kit that dealers will be installing is not the same as the factory kit.

Aero kit from the factory installed is $1,250. Before you order anything through them ask to see:

Bulletin# PB-04-25-08

That is the actual document that tells the dealers what they can order and the MSRP from Mini.

Some dealers I was talking to would order the car, but according to them, things like the areo kit would be installed at the dealership. My wife works for a car dealership (not mini, darn) and that is where they make some serious profit.

If they will not show you that bulletin, let me know and I can either fax or e-mail you a copy.
I would check that out,there are two Aero kits available,the kit installed at the factory is not the JCW kit,it is different.My kit installed last year ran around $2600 with all the wheel wells and spoiler paited to match.I was at the dealer the other day and the GM went through the new car with me.We configured out a new JCW on a goof and the JCW kit was definitely more than $1250.00.Just to be safe if the JCW aerokit is what you want,please check it out before it's to late...Either way ...enjoy the car...you will love it...

Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 PM
key_lime_hamster
2nd Gear
I would check that out,there are two Aero kits available,the kit installed at the factory is not the JCW kit,it is different.My kit installed last year ran around $2600 with all the wheel wells and spoiler paited to match.I was at the dealer the other day and the GM went through the new car with me.We configured out a new JCW on a goof and the JCW kit was definitely more than $1250.00.Just to be safe if the JCW aerokit is what you want,please check it out before it's to late...Either way ...enjoy the car...you will love it...
it seems a bit dodgy that there is more talk of the aerokit than there is about the lack of a mechanical limited slip differential.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:48 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by key_lime_hamster
it seems a bit dodgy that there is more talk of the aerokit than there is about the lack of a mechanical limited slip differential
or a supercharger, for that matter...

Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 AM
dpranouskes
2nd Gear
Just talked with my MA and he was like, oh yeah that is the plain aero kit. So my price just went up $1,300.

This will be my 3rd Mini in 2 years and now I am starting to wonder if it is worth the money for the "special" JCW?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Do yourself a favor and open up some dialog with the GM or Sales Manager and talk directly to him.He's the final say on your pricing as well as to what can be done for you.Most MA's have'nt got a clue about the JCW's and how to order them properly...Make sure your happy and doing this right the first time.The car is going to be stupid fun , fast and worth the aggravation to get it right.Good luck with the car...take care

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Corey986
3rd Gear
So, for $40k you could spec out a very sweet 135i. What am I not getting here? (And I am a current JCW owner and 5+ year MINI owner, so I get MINIs.) If you need four seats and performance/handling, the 135i seems like a slam dunk. Please, enlighten me.
just to add my comments to this...

My MCSa without any JCW bits came, with extended warranty and clear bra and I was about 42k out the door.

Now a 135i equipped just like my MCSa with extended warranty would come out to about 48k. So for 6k more I get a car about as much fun as the mini with rear seats about the same and some more trunk space, but... Really crappy gas mileage.... If I wanted that I'd just drive my 911.

Also when you hit mid 40's for a 1 series even most of the magazines agree just buy a 335, better resale value.

Now If I could have bought a stick shift and not an auto(like my wife wanted) I would have gotten a JCW car...Still over the 1 series...

Last edited by Corey986; 05-12-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: MINI JCW Hardtop finally ordered!