F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Roof rack instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 AM
maxou723
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Roof rack instructions

Hi, just wondering if anyone has a pdf or a picture of the instructions for the Mini Countryman roof rack. I bought them used from someone and he didn't have the instructions anymore. (part 82712327922)

Thanks for your help if someone has it!

Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Blu_lite
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Remove covers with the key.
Loosen the clamps by turning the plastic nut behind the cover.
Place clamps on roof rails.
Tighten the clamps.
Replace covers.

If you are putting on a heavy load, I would suggest that you tighten the clamps again after it has been loaded. I find that with heavy weight 50lbs+ it puts enough pressure on the clamps to slightly loosen them. Therefore, i tighten them again.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM
maxou723
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, is there a recommended or minimum distance between the front and rear bar according to Mini?

Old 06-14-2019, 11:43 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by maxou723
Thanks, is there a recommended or minimum distance between the front and rear bar according to Mini?
I don't have a CM yet, but on my Audi (I would expect MINI to be similar) there were two little holes on the inside side of the rails that matched up with two pegs on each foot of the rack.
Take a look. There has to be something. Rack crossbars can't just go on ***** nilly.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:04 PM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Audi is a bit different, besides using the holes to know where to place the bars, they also use the holes to change the stability control program. One of the rails on my SQ5 had 3 holes for an electrical signal to tell the car the roof rack was on.

BMW usually lists the measurements down to the mm of where the rails should be mounted in the install instructions. They'll include stickers that you can place at the top of the door jam so you know where to mount the rails each time. At least that's how it worked on my F31.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Stretch-22
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maxou723
The locations for the front and the rear mounting points are marked on the vehicle.

For the front location, it is marked with a small triangle. Stand near the driver's side door and look across at the other roof rail. As the curved surface of the silver roof rail comes up and starts to become flat, look down at the black support on the underside of the silver part. There is a small triangle indentation of the black part. Center your front bracket on that triangle. It is on both sides, but since it is inboard on the roof rail its easier to see when looking across at it.

For the rear location, it is marked with a small circle on the underside of the roof rail. It is located about 8 - 10 inches in front of the rear black support. If you lean down you can see it or just run your finger along the underside to locate it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stretch-22:
F56-JCDub (06-28-2019), maxou723 (09-19-2020), StevePDX (06-21-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 PM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't the OEM rails made by Yakima.. The instructions are probably the same.. just hit up Yakimas web site.. Or Thule.. it is one of those 2.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:39 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Stretch-22
The locations for the front and the rear mounting points are marked on the vehicle.

For the front location, it is marked with a small triangle. Stand near the driver's side door and look across at the other roof rail. As the curved surface of the silver roof rail comes up and starts to become flat, look down at the black support on the underside of the silver part. There is a small triangle indentation of the black part. Center your front bracket on that triangle. It is on both sides, but since it is inboard on the roof rail its easier to see when looking across at it.

For the rear location, it is marked with a small circle on the underside of the roof rail. It is located about 8 - 10 inches in front of the rear black support. If you lean down you can see it or just run your finger along the underside to locate it.
I see the markings you're referring to, but I'm having turmoil about the front one. The black plastic mount is flush with the rail at that point. Most crossbar clamps have to "clamp" but that's not possible at the location of the triangle. All the recommended clamps for F60 Countrymans seem to be of the clamping around kind; whereas, it seems clear that the type required would clamp into the rail's grooves, like a flush-mounted BMW rail would require, not around the rail entirely (e.g. Thule's fitment guide says the Thule 710400 Evo Raised Rail foot is the correct one). This is further conflicting with Thule's recomendation for a 28" bar spacing, but the F60's spacing between the two markings is only 26".

Why is this so complicated!?

Old 03-21-2021, 04:58 AM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
The gray part is what is tightened by the ****, and the gray part is what fits into the groove of the rail. The black cover is just that, a cover...it doesn't serve to hold the foot to the rail.

It doesn't matter if you read somewhere that it's 28 inches, but, you find it's 26 inches. It's immaterial to it's function, unless you are going to stress the system to it's absolute maximum limit. Even then, there is some leeway on exact spacing.

I will also mention, with the risk of increasing the complication level, that the black tightening **** will interfere with the black cover unless you turn the **** so that it forms a "Y" when viewed while standing facing the car....as in the illustration above. Otherwise, the black cover won't close easily. This is illustrated on a diagram inside that foot.

The following users liked this post:
darex (04-02-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:00 PM
Stretch-22
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
I see the markings you're referring to, but I'm having turmoil about the front one. The black plastic mount is flush with the rail at that point. Most crossbar clamps have to "clamp" but that's not possible at the location of the triangle. All the recommended clamps for F60 Countrymans seem to be of the clamping around kind; whereas, it seems clear that the type required would clamp into the rail's grooves, like a flush-mounted BMW rail would require, not around the rail entirely (e.g. Thule's fitment guide says the Thule 710400 Evo Raised Rail foot is the correct one). This is further conflicting with Thule's recomendation for a 28" bar spacing, but the F60's spacing between the two markings is only 26".

I have only owned the rails and box from Mini, but here are my thoughts. The mounting points and spacing that Mini specifies are likely based on the weight distribution that they designed into the rails. So aftermarket specs may be close, but slightly different because they are designed for a variety of vehicles. It's probably ok if you are close and the total weight limit is not exceeded.