F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Speaker upgrade for a Countryman 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Stephanie Robesky
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker upgrade for a Countryman 2019

I stupidly got a Countryman 2019 with the regular audio package and now I'm missing my Harmon Kardon speakers. Does anyone know of any speaker upgrades that I could (more or less) easily do to make the sound quality better?!? HELP!!! I need good audio!

New baby!

New coche. Great car, bad audio.

Last edited by Stephanie Robesky; 05-06-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Does anyone know of any speaker upgrades that I could (more or less) easily do to make the sound quality better?
https://www.bavsound.com/

Old 05-07-2019, 06:24 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
I upgraded to Bavsound, but if you want my full set of HK speakers with subs ---> https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-subs-f60.html

Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 AM
BTDUBS
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by f60jcw
I upgraded to Bavsound, but if you want my full set of HK speakers with subs ---> https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-subs-f60.html
This is a great deal on great factory audio equipment. The HK speakers have been a really nice surprise in the car.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You will really need more power to drive a better quality speaker. Adding HK speakers would be a chore and hardly worth the effort. Bavsounds will improve your sound, but more power is still desirable.

The following users liked this post:
Jwanck11 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:19 AM
usshelena725
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You will really need more power to drive a better quality speaker. Adding HK speakers would be a chore and hardly worth the effort. Bavsounds will improve your sound, but more power is still desirable.

Are you able to help clarify some things? I always see this comment, but I never see a solution offered. Please, no offense, I am just trying to see if anyone has an honest answer.

I looked at the BAVSOUND speakers and also came to a conclusion that an amp and probably a crossover of some sort to properly send power to the correct speakers would be needed. Took the car to a very reputable shop and they were very hesitant to recommend an amp. Noted that it was very difficult to do right in the MINI and also that it tended to have major impacts to the 'fake engine sound' thing. Finally, they noted that the factory head unit is heavily tuned to work without independent tweeters and to minimize the power going into the stock underseat subs.

Is this true - or can a simple amp install along with the bavsound speakers be done for a reasonable cost (say under a grand)?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by usshelena725
Are you able to help clarify some things? I always see this comment, but I never see a solution offered. Please, no offense, I am just trying to see if anyone has an honest answer.

I looked at the BAVSOUND speakers and also came to a conclusion that an amp and probably a crossover of some sort to properly send power to the correct speakers would be needed. Took the car to a very reputable shop and they were very hesitant to recommend an amp. Noted that it was very difficult to do right in the MINI and also that it tended to have major impacts to the 'fake engine sound' thing. Finally, they noted that the factory head unit is heavily tuned to work without independent tweeters and to minimize the power going into the stock underseat subs.

Is this true - or can a simple amp install along with the bavsound speakers be done for a reasonable cost (say under a grand)?
Probably many ways to attack it. If your not DIY'ing you are probably not going to be under a grand. If you are worried about the factory tuning, then devices like fix series from JL audio will equalize all the signals from the factory head unit. In my case I had HK, just hooked up a JL 6 channel amp with Bavsound speakers and am 90% happy with it. On some music it doesn't sound as great as I want but overall it rocks with more than enough bass from the under seat speakers. Only area I am not thrilled with is the high frequencies but I chalk that up to very old ears not being able to hear those sounds as well. Would like to tune it to fit my ears, but that is another level of complexity I don't want to get into.

The fake engine sounds did not amplify with my amp (overblown theory), but I coded that at anyway as I didn't like it even with the stereo off.

With a base stereo I'd look to replace the speakers with some component units and add an amp. I don't know the specifics so I can't even guess what to use.

Some of these reputable shops over think the process IMO. And many don't want to mess with small jobs that might be extra work for not enough $$$. I had one shop tell me that $5K was the minimum job of this kind. Right!
I'd look for an indy installer who isn't tied into specific overpriced equipment.

usshelena725 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM
usshelena725
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Probably many ways to attack it. If your not DIY'ing you are probably not going to be under a grand. If you are worried about the factory tuning, then devices like fix series from JL audio will equalize all the signals from the factory head unit. In my case I had HK, just hooked up a JL 6 channel amp with Bavsound speakers and am 90% happy with it. On some music it doesn't sound as great as I want but overall it rocks with more than enough bass from the under seat speakers. Only area I am not thrilled with is the high frequencies but I chalk that up to very old ears not being able to hear those sounds as well. Would like to tune it to fit my ears, but that is another level of complexity I don't want to get into.

The fake engine sounds did not amplify with my amp (overblown theory), but I coded that at anyway as I didn't like it even with the stereo off.

With a base stereo I'd look to replace the speakers with some component units and add an amp. I don't know the specifics so I can't even guess what to use.

Some of these reputable shops over think the process IMO. And many don't want to mess with small jobs that might be extra work for not enough $$$. I had one shop tell me that $5K was the minimum job of this kind. Right!
I'd look for an indy installer who isn't tied into specific overpriced equipment.

Appreciate the clarification. I came out of a BMW E93 with the HK Logic 7 system and loved it. This stock MINI radio is disappointing. I'm no audiophile, but would like some richer and clearer sounds with more clarity and more base. I am one of the only people on the planet it seems that actually enjoys and likes the fake engine sound, lol. It's like enjoying the sound of a good exhaust without anyone else around the car having to listen to it.

Perhaps I should investigate adding an amp further.

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I did an upgrade myself in my prior 3 doors F56. Same system. I had something similar in europe done like bavsound. The thing is, they tap in to the speaker cables and fit an amp off it which has high input if i am not mistaken. Then they try to neutralize the equalizer settings which is standard in the normal mini hifi. The big problem i had with my system is this. Mini's own standard hifi is ****ed up in a way that is not neutralizable if you ask me. Because to protect the subs the sound changes when you open up the volume and bases go down. So the equalizer is different of different volumes. That's why i never liked my audio upgrade that much. The sound was definetly much much much better. Mine was with a dsp amp and all. So the soundstage was really good dead center. But when opening up volume i every time heard the sound changed by the standard equalizer. I could turn it off with esys, but that did not improve the sounds also... Always get the factory upgrade is the lesson i learned from that. But there is an option which is a lot more expensive which could get a clean line from the headunit, but that device alone was around €500 and the normal setup around €1600. Su i didn't want to pay even more.
Anyway goodluck. Maybe the cheapest way is just changing the mid's in the doors with tweeters built in. Never tried it. but the main thing you miss is highs.
But you could try that cheap and could send back the speakers if it's not enough. Good Luck.

usshelena725 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
By the wat i did see this upgrade ones in a bmw dealer. Maybe it is an option?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
There is even a line in the computer for the upgrade officially.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Brookz
1st Gear
You upgraded to bavsound? I contacted them about replacement speakers for my 2018 and they told me they don't have anything for my model year and to wait 4-6 months while they work on it...

Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Brookz
You upgraded to bavsound? I contacted them about replacement speakers for my 2018 and they told me they don't have anything for my model year and to wait 4-6 months while they work on it...
That's because they put together a custom set for me (probably pulled pieces from other systems that closely matched). Not sure why they don't have a full set for production release by now. I am also waiting on their drop-in amp, which they previously said would be available by now, but isn't.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Brookz
1st Gear
That's because they put together a custom set for me (probably pulled pieces from other systems that closely matched). Not sure why they don't have a full set for production release by now. I am also waiting on their drop-in amp, which they previously said would be available by now, but isn't.
Are they worth the wait? Or should I look to a local shop to replace the speakers with something they have? I despise the sound my HK system produces.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:09 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Brookz
Are they worth the wait? Or should I look to a local shop to replace the speakers with something they have? I despise the sound my HK system produces.
Depends on how discerning you are with sound. For me, I think they sound clearer and less muddy than the HK speakers. Also, There's a better separation of frequencies in Bavsound's crossovers. I could use more power to drive them so they'd be louder at lower volumes, but that is why I'm waiting for their amp. To me, they're better than stock and good enough...for now. I am glad I did the upgrade.

Brookz (06-23-2019)