North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016-2023-444/)
-   -   F60 Aftermarket shocks/coilovers (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016-2023/338251-aftermarket-shocks-coilovers.html)

F56-JCDub 04-23-2019 05:14 AM

Aftermarket shocks/coilovers

So if you have the MINI options that control suspension and steering in the different modes, how is the suspension affected if you switch to aftermarket shocks and/or coilovers? I guess, the real question is: how does MINI control the suspension? Are there special shocks that have electronically controlled valving? Please school me on this. I know nothing and am curious about how this works.

Or lowering springs as well... I'm wondering what this does to the factory dynamic suspension system?

F56-JCDub 04-23-2019 04:43 PM

I did some searches, and basically, there is some sort of electronic solenoid or actuator of some sort that controls the Dynamic Damper Control. So if you switch our your shocks with this technology, with standard technology shocks/struts then you lose DDC. It does seem that some aftermarket shocks do have DDC shocks that are compatible with OEM systems, but not sure yet if there is one for the MINI systems.

F56-JCDub 04-24-2019 03:33 AM

Looks like KW makes them for some MINI applications, but they don't specify an F60 JCW. This might be a nice upgrade.

Medarlin 04-24-2019 04:55 AM

I just chatted with KW online, none of their dampers will maintain the DDC function of the F56 MINI.
I am pretty certain if you want to keep the DDC functionality, you'll need to stay with MINI original equipment dampers.

You could install lowering springs on your car with out any issues with the DDC.

F56-JCDub 04-24-2019 05:01 AM

Nice. Thanks for following up on that.

Medarlin 04-24-2019 05:24 AM

I've been wondering the same thing myself, but at 60K miles on my F56 S and no signs of them losing effectiveness, I have no reason to replace the original dampers. Besides, I love the DDC functionality and use it a lot.

F56-JCDub 04-24-2019 06:27 AM

Same here, and I'm only at 20K miles on my F60. I just like to think and plan ahead. Unfortunately, I'm usually ahead of the market and have to wait a long time.

Madman23 04-25-2019 02:48 AM

How i s the dynamic suspension? I have always wondered that.

F56-JCDub 04-25-2019 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Madman23 (Post 4465571)
How i s the dynamic suspension? I have always wondered that.

I think it is great. Green --> Normal super subtle difference. Sport mode is much tighter suspension and heavier steering. Because of the way DDC works in Sport mode, I pretty much don't feel I *need* a rear sway bar. The handling is very go-cart in this mode. That also means a harsher ride in Sport as compared to Normal or Green modes.

victoryrider 04-25-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by f60jcw (Post 4465577)
I think it is great. Green --> Normal super subtle difference. Sport mode is much tighter suspension and heavier steering. Because of the way DDC works in Sport mode, I pretty much don't feel I *need* a rear sway bar. The handling is very go-cart in this mode. That also means a harsher ride in Sport as compared to Normal or Green modes.

Ditto what f60jcw said and double ditto on Sport being harsh ride. Sport is very stiff, I thought it was the run-flat tires so I switched to non-run flat Continental DWS, it's a little better but still very harsh in sport mode.