North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016-2023-444/)
-   -   F60 Looking to replace run-flats (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016-2023/336996-looking-to-replace-run-flats.html)

victoryrider 03-16-2019 04:00 AM

Looking to replace run-flats

Looking to replace my OEM 225/45/19 run flats on my JCW. Looking for a quiet, all weather tire. It's my wife's car, we don't track it, just for everday driving that will give more comfortable, quiet ride.

ND40oz 03-16-2019 04:22 AM

For all seasons, the Pilot Sport A/S 3s or it it'll see more in the way of light snow, the Continental DWS6s. Neither are all weather though and if you see serious snow, you'll want a dedicated winter tire. The only true All Weather tire I've seen in the Mini's sizing in the Michelin CrossContact+ in the 225/55/17, the Quatrac 5, Cinturato P7 All Season Plus and Assurance Weatherready also come in that size but I'd take the CrossContact+. You'd need to make sure you find a 17" wheel that clears the calipers on the JCW as well.

victoryrider 03-16-2019 12:47 PM

also has anyone tried a 235/45/19 (vs 225) to get a little more sidewall? Will it rub?

gbilton 03-18-2019 06:34 PM

I swapped my run-flats for Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ in December and really like them. I run the same size 225/45/19 on my Countryman S all4. Outmotoring sells the spare KIT for the F60 for the safety of having a spare.

sdupp 03-20-2019 05:25 AM

Hey thanks for the spare tire kit link, been looking for one. As for replacing the run flats I'll probably go with Toyo Proxes
https://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO-Pro...-XL-P6436.aspx

Beemerchef 03-20-2019 06:00 AM

It seems many complain about the no-flat tires and I kind of wonder why? I read that it is mainly the noise and who knows? Maybe I am becoming deaf? I personally like them. I would not know where to hide a 5th wheel/tire if I switched to regular ones.

As far as all season/A~T tires I use "Geolander" on my Jeep. They look like street tires but have taken me miles and miles through even last week two to three feet of snow when I made a wrong turn and passed the point of no return unable to make a U turn! After more research I found out that it actually starting the second layer,is the great rubber compound they are using. Looking at a cross section of the tire, that compound is actually of a very oily and orange rubber. I originally went for the Geolander because being each 16lbs lighter than the A~T Goodyear. I don't know if they make them the size you are seeking but would be worth looking into it.

victoryrider 03-20-2019 06:17 AM

I decided on the Continental DWS6. I get them put on Friday, I'll let you know how goes after I drive it a while. I don't use a spare tire kit, I just carry Mini's Tire Mobility Kit. I swapped run-flats out for non run flats on my 2012 R60 and luckily, never had a problem. It noticeably improved the ride and road noise.

https://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/...NCTURE-SEALANT

bluonyx 03-20-2019 07:47 AM

We went with Nitto Motivo's on my wife's CM, they're all season and have a 60K warranty. So far 25K put on them and they're wearing really evenly, canyon driving everyday. For $150 a tire, and that warranty, it was a pretty good deal.

Stephika515 03-20-2019 08:57 AM

I went with Toyo Proxes 4 .. Great handling, very quiet.

gbilton 03-20-2019 01:50 PM

I got my Michelin from Costco and the emergency foam kit would void their tire warranty so that is why I will end up getting the spare tire kit

Capt_bj 03-20-2019 05:44 PM

for those that decide to forgo run flats and buy slime and a pump

I have just one question ... or maybe two

does your wife/child ever drive this car?

Do they know how to use this stuff?

I know that on multiple occasions since 2002 (when I bought my first MINI with run flat tires) ... Mrs has been driving it and the TPMS alert came on while she was on the interstate. Rather than stopping on the shoulder and wondering what to do next (even calling AAA means a considerable wait) she slowed and drove to a gas station at the next exit and most of the time could drive home for me to deal with the issue - at lower speed.

Mrs thinks run flats are the nuts!!!!!

(yes she does know how to check the pressure ...... and the events I relate the tire WAS toast but got her home . . .)

ND40oz 03-21-2019 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Capt_bj (Post 4457842)
for those that decide to forgo run flats and buy slime and a pump

I have just one question ... or maybe two

does your wife/child ever drive this car?

Do they know how to use this stuff?

I know that on multiple occasions since 2002 (when I bought my first MINI with run flat tires) ... Mrs has been driving it and the TPMS alert came on while she was on the interstate. Rather than stopping on the shoulder and wondering what to do next (even calling AAA means a considerable wait) she slowed and drove to a gas station at the next exit and most of the time could drive home for me to deal with the issue - at lower speed.

Mrs thinks run flats are the nuts!!!!!

(yes she does know how to check the pressure ...... and the events I relate the tire WAS toast but got her home . . .)

I would not ask my wife to drive on a depressurized runflat. Pull over and call roadside assistance and then call me if the tire is no longer holding air. Most likely I'll arrive before roadside does anyway. I can't imagine getting the low TPMS alert on multiple occasions, do you or your wife drive in areas that are hazardous to tires?

Capt_bj 03-21-2019 04:51 PM

you miss the point entirely ........

so sorry

ND40oz 03-22-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Capt_bj (Post 4458039)
you miss the point entirely ........

so sorry

Sorry, no, I didn't. I replaced the run-flats within the first month of owning almost every vehicle that came with them. The only vehicle I kept them on was my F31 because even though it had ZMP because it was xDrive, it didn't have the sport suspension and they were half-way tolerable with the standard suspension. If you care at all about driving your vehicle, replacing the run-flats is easily one of the most significant things you can do to improve the experience. They're a compromise that offer very little benefit even if you do get a flat. This is obviously my opinion and if you're happy with the way the perform, then that works for you. I still find it very strange that you've had so many instances of getting the low tire pressure indicator light.

victoryrider 03-23-2019 04:55 AM

Some interesting factoids. Yesterday, I made the switch over from OEM Bridgestone Potenza RunFlats to (same size) non run flat Continental Extreme DWS06. Like everyone says I noticed less road noise, smoother ride, less harsh over road imperfections and "feels" like less vibration in the steering wheel. Haven't really driven it enough to make good comparison. Only drove home from shop. However, when reading the spec sheet for the Conti DWS06 compared to specs for our OEM RF, I noticed the new tires are 5 lbs lighter per tire - OEM RF is 27 lbs and DWS is 22 lbs. That is a huge difference and if you watch any youtubes about sprung vs unsprung weight and rotational inertia, this should make a noticeable improvement in performance, handling and braking? Also tread is deeper 10/32 vs 9/32 (negligible) and although I selected same OEM size 225/45/19 the new tire "overall diameter" is .4 inches taller (gives a tad more sidewall).

If I rotate every 6,000m they are supposed to last 50,000 miles?? We'll see about that.

Beemerchef 03-23-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by victoryrider (Post 4458352)
Some interesting factoids. Yesterday, I made the switch over from OEM Bridgestone Potenza RunFlats to (same size) non run flat Continental Extreme DWS06. Like everyone says I noticed less road noise, smoother ride, less harsh over road imperfections and "feels" like less vibration in the steering wheel. Haven't really driven it enough to make good comparison. Only drove home from shop. However, when reading the spec sheet for the Conti DWS06 compared to specs for our OEM RF, I noticed the new tires are 5 lbs lighter per tire - OEM RF is 27 lbs and DWS is 22 lbs. That is a huge difference and if you watch any youtubes about sprung vs unsprung weight and rotational inertia, this should make a noticeable improvement in performance, handling and braking? Also tread is deeper 10/32 vs 9/32 (negligible) and although I selected same OEM size 225/45/19 the new tire "overall diameter" is .4 inches taller (gives a tad more sidewall).

If I rotate every 6,000m they are supposed to last 50,000 miles?? We'll see about that.

Your post brings back memories of Motorcycle racing [amateur, done now!] regarding sprung vs unsprung weight which was a huge factor, hence expensive magnesium wheels, a concept many had a hard time wrapping their heads around! I had a 2016 JCW earlier which I sold, just bought a 2017 a couple days ago. Drove 14 hours from Las Vegas to Alamogordo and considering how bad the infrastructure of the roads are the noise drove me insane! Something I did not quite remember with the previous one. I am ordering 4 Yokohama Advan Sport M/S today from Discount tires at $150 a piece as they have a 10% rebate on them. [215/40/18 regular]. I guess I will just dispose of the non-flat ones with only 18K on them. Kind of a shame... I like that store while my Jeep's tires came from there. Pure laziness pulling up whenever and while sitting in the car have them check tire pressures as many times as needed!!!

tizeye 04-13-2019 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ND40oz (Post 4457889)
I would not ask my wife to drive on a depressurized runflat. Pull over and call roadside assistance and then call me if the tire is no longer holding air. Most likely I'll arrive before roadside does anyway. I can't imagine getting the low TPMS alert on multiple occasions, do you or your wife drive in areas that are hazardous to tires?

My wife in her Fiat 500 kept getting the TPMS low tire warning and I would keep filling the tire back up. Never could find a nail in it as I would back up 1/8 turn at a time and inspect. Totally frustrated re-filling the tire every couple of months and resetting the TPMS, took the tire off intending to roll across the street to the lake/boat ramp/dock to submerge to look for slow leak around valve or something. As I began rolling the tire, never got out of the driveway as there it was, a micro-thin nail.

NOW back on topic of thread. Just replaced the tires this week on my 2017 Countryman. Still had some tread left but after the gouging I took a year ago with a nail repair requiring replacing 1 tire and the estimate for all 4, didn't want to show up for the 30K mile oil change with wear indicators almost at replace level. While I don't have 19" wheels like the OP, did get more of an all season tread design that the OP was looking for. Stayed with run flats and got the 225-50-18 Bridgestone Driveguard which also maintain the same 95W load rating as the OEM (Bridgestone Turanza T001) which appear to be a dealer only tire and about $100 more. While I got them from Costco who had $100 off special on 4 (expires 4/16 and the other reason I didn't defer replacement), Reviewing on TireRack, they are #1 in the category over Pirelli, Conti, Goodyear, and even the Bridgestone Potenza line. It also doesn't hurt that they were the least expensive of all the run flats at around $190/tire before any rebate promotion, longer rated treadlife numbers, and positive consumer reviews. Michelin doesn't make a run flat and appears they historically chose a different route with self sealing, but not certain if continues with today's models. I have only driven them a week, but they perform nice and are responsive around town. No highway driving yet.

MrFunk 04-16-2019 04:55 AM

I must beg the question: who tracks a Countryman?

ND40oz 04-16-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk (Post 4463824)
I must beg the question: who tracks a Countryman?

It's helpful for taking shortcuts, like this R60.

Apparently when it embeds it loses the start time, so skip to around 2:50 in the video.

F56-JCDub 04-17-2019 03:46 AM

I run stock all-weather run-flats for winter, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S for summers. They are awesome. I highly recommend. Paired with light wheels, it transforms the F60's handling. So grippy and tight!