North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016-2023-444/)
-   -   F60 F60 scanner/coding tool that works? One I bought from ECS does not... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f60-countryman-talk-2016-2023/335924-f60-scanner-coding-tool-that-works-one-i-bought-from-ecs-does-not.html)

carimer 02-10-2019 03:13 PM

F60 scanner/coding tool that works? One I bought from ECS does not...

Hello fellow F60 Countryman owners,

I just bought a Schwaben Scanner from ECS Tuning that was supposed to work with all MINIs but does not have SW to handle the F60. Going to the OEM site, it said I had the most-updated SW for the unit.

Has anyone found a Scanner that works for F60? Example case for why I need this scanner/coder: recently I unplugged and removed the two front seats to replace speakers underneath the seats, and upon reinstalling the seats and reconnecting the cables, the airbag warning lights were triggered (an expected result as outlined in other NAM forums). I'd like to reset them. Looking for a pro-grade scanner that can do this, but the one ECS sold me won't address our model.

Anyone have a scanner confirmed to work with our F60s?

Thanks & happy winter to all -- definitely getting the benefit of the AWD on my F60 SE this year, that's for sure.

Blu_lite 04-08-2019 06:33 AM

Hey Carimer,

I am looking to replace all the speakers in the F60 as well. I was wondering if you finally got the air bag code resolved? If so, how did you go about doing so.

Also where there any other difficulties changing the speaker?

Finally if you don't mind sharing the replacement speakers you purchased and your evaluation of them.

Any feedback regarding the process would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

carimer 04-08-2019 07:08 AM

Well, unfortunately the only way I could clear the codes was a trip to the MINI dealer -- the coder I bought from ECS Tuning didn't work despite their description saying it would. No hassle policy on the return, so I give them high marks for that. You might find one out there that works, but I am not trying again.

The speakers I bought were from BAVSOUND -- great speakers, but sound still so-so given the weak amp that comes in the stock radio from MINI. I am thinking of looking into a dealer-installable upgrade to get better sound -- these speakers are very-high-quality and could easily handle it.

As for change-out, super easy -- the BAVSOUND speakers were a drop-in replacement, no special parts needed (just special tools they sell as a kit when you buy from them).

Good luck!

Blu_lite 04-08-2019 07:16 AM

Hi Carimer,

Thanks again for the feedback. I was looking at the BAV speakers too but you have confirmed what many users are staying for other FXX models where the stock amp (even if it was the HK package) isn't giving the BAV speakers enough power to reach their full potential. I will need to do a bit more research in changing the stock amp for more power.

Thanks again.

Scudder44 04-08-2019 08:35 AM

Disconnect your battery before disconnecting any airbag. Two reasons- 1) there is always a risk connecting live cables to airbags and setting them off 2) avoid codes :-)

carimer 04-08-2019 09:29 AM

Great advice Scudder44!

Blu_lite, just be warned that, as another poster said, unplugging the battery didn't spare his code -- the system saw the disconnect even with the battery unplugged. Alas, I didn't bother (oops) because as Scudder44 says, it's bad form to unplug/replug a live airbag. Just don't be surprised if it still throws a code.

Good luck!

Scudder44 04-08-2019 09:36 AM

You have to wait at least 10 minutes after battery is disconnect to discharge the system :-) Depressing the brake pedal or similar will ensure the system is discharged.

ECSTuning 04-09-2019 05:24 AM

Hello, Sorry to hear that, it's not updated yet for the F60, we have an update coming in June that will cover the F60.

F56-JCDub 04-09-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Blu_lite (Post 4462126)
Hi Carimer,

Thanks again for the feedback. I was looking at the BAV speakers too but you have confirmed what many users are staying for other FXX models where the stock amp (even if it was the HK package) isn't giving the BAV speakers enough power to reach their full potential. I will need to do a bit more research in changing the stock amp for more power.

Thanks again.

BAVSOUND is working on releasing an AMP for the MINI. They just released one for BMWs, and I asked about the MINI one, they said back in mid-Nov. they'd have a MINI one ready in 3-5mo. So any time now. I'm waiting for theirs to come out to complete the system.

Blu_lite 04-10-2019 05:54 AM

Thanks for the info F60JCW.

You seem to have the inside scoop when it comes to technical aspects of the F60 :thumbsup:.