F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016+) F60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

Piano black illuminated - photos or videos?

  #1  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 PM
sch
sch is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piano black illuminated - photos or videos?

Do any of you have photos or videos you can share of what the “piano black illuminated” interior actually looks like? The picture in the confugurator isn’t that helpful.
 
  #2  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Camer0nes
Camer0nes is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post











 
The following 2 users liked this post by Camer0nes:
Frogain (01-02-2019), sch (01-01-2019)
  #3  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 PM
BTDUBS's Avatar
BTDUBS
BTDUBS is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any way to retrofit this to an F60 without it? It was 1 of 2 things that mine didn't come with that I wanted.
 
  #4  
Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Madman23
Madman23 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 25
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow!! That is such a nice touch.
 
  #5  
Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 AM
MNCNTRYMN's Avatar
MNCNTRYMN
MNCNTRYMN is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 71
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BTDUBS View Post
Is there any way to retrofit this to an F60 without it? It was 1 of 2 things that mine didn't come with that I wanted.
My thought exactly... I'm sure there is a way, but curious about the level of effort.
 
  #6  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:31 AM
pw1114
pw1114 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MNCNTRYMN View Post
My thought exactly... I'm sure there is a way, but curious about the level of effort.
It's most likely possible. I retrofitted the illuminated door trim on my F54 Clubman myself. The car would need to have ambient lighting package though; most countrymen, if not all of them, should have ambient lighting. The trim is just held in by clips, so should not be too difficult.
 

Last edited by pw1114; 01-25-2019 at 12:50 AM.
  #7  
Old 01-25-2019, 06:47 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pw1114 View Post
It's most likely possible. I retrofitted the illuminated door trim on my F54 Clubman myself. The car would need to have ambient lighting package though; most countrymen, if not all of them, should have ambient lighting. The trim is just held in by clips, so should not be too difficult.
I wonder if the electrical connectors are there for the dash trim though. Did the door trim have a separate connector or did it use one that the old door trim already had or was it just light tubes and used the existing ambient lighting for it?
 
  #8  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 PM
pw1114
pw1114 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I wonder if the electrical connectors are there for the dash trim though. Did the door trim have a separate connector or did it use one that the old door trim already had or was it just light tubes and used the existing ambient lighting for it?
The doors have a wiring harness with connectors for the lighting (map pockets/door handles/illuminated trim). So the trim does require a connector. If the electrical connector is not behind the dashboard (very likely), you can just splice wires into any of the ambient lighting.

I also added illuminated color changing ambient lighting into the rear door map pockets simply by splicing into the wires. I added the illuminated trim using the proper wiring harness and connector.
 
The following users liked this post:
ND40oz (01-26-2019)
  #9  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:33 PM
BTDUBS's Avatar
BTDUBS
BTDUBS is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is all very interesting. I think the price of the part may be the worst part, but my Mini dealer can't seem to figure out pricing on it.
 
  #10  
Old 01-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Budgett
Budgett is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a few days ago dismount the central ring with the screen, and there were some connectors without connecting just in the area that lights up if you take the pack excitemen, it is possible that changing the panel that carries the lighting and coding worked
 
The following users liked this post:
ND40oz (01-26-2019)
  #11  
Old 01-25-2019, 03:43 PM
pw1114
pw1114 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BTDUBS View Post
This is all very interesting. I think the price of the part may be the worst part, but my Mini dealer can't seem to figure out pricing on it.
The best thing to do is try to find one from eBay from a wrecked car. I got, for my clubman, the door panels with illuminated trim and wiring from eBay for a little over a hundred bucks. It might be prohibitively expensive for new parts, or it might not. Parts pricing seems really random at times.

Originally Posted by Budgett View Post
a few days ago dismount the central ring with the screen, and there were some connectors without connecting just in the area that lights up if you take the pack excitemen, it is possible that changing the panel that carries the lighting and coding worked

if the car already has ambient lighting, no coding would be needed, you just have to wire/connect it. All ambient lighting is centrally connected.
 
The following users liked this post:
ND40oz (01-26-2019)
  #12  
Old 01-26-2019, 03:59 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BTDUBS View Post
This is all very interesting. I think the price of the part may be the worst part, but my Mini dealer can't seem to figure out pricing on it.
I may buy the drivers side since it's not that much money to see if I can get it to work, if so, then I can just buy the passenger side. Here's what I'm seeing for part numbers and pricing:

Decorat.trim driver's side illuminated (Left hand drive) PIANO BLACK 51459350473 €48.07
​​​​​​Dec. trim passenger's side illuminated (Left hand drive) PIANO BLACK 51459350474 €201.94
 
  #13  
Old 01-26-2019, 04:31 AM
pw1114
pw1114 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I may buy the drivers side since it's not that much money to see if I can get it to work, if so, then I can just buy the passenger side. Here's what I'm seeing for part numbers and pricing:

Decorat.trim driver's side illuminated (Left hand drive) PIANO BLACK 51459350473 €48.07
​​​​​​Dec. trim passenger's side illuminated (Left hand drive) PIANO BLACK 51459350474 €201.94
The driver side is not actually illuminated though; it's just labelled as illuminated because of the pattern printed on it to match. Only the passenger side lights up.

I was looking at pictures of the back of the trim online and it looks like it requires several LED modules, part no.: 63319263454
Coincidentally, I bought these same modules to create ambient lighting for my rear door map pockets.

These modules (3 are needed I believe) click into the trim and are what need to be connected by wiring.

You can see the back here on this RHD gold version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M...-/323427384628

lights connect to trim like this:
 

Last edited by pw1114; 01-26-2019 at 04:53 AM.
  #14  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:03 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pw1114 View Post
The driver side is not actually illuminated though; it's just labelled as illuminated because of the pattern printed on it to match. Only the passenger side lights up.
Crazy that they charge an extra €17 for that pattern over the normal piano black.

Originally Posted by pw1114 View Post
I was looking at pictures of the back of the trim online and it looks like it requires several LED modules, part no.: 63319263454
Coincidentally, I bought these same modules to create ambient lighting for my rear door map pockets.

These modules (3 are needed I believe) click into the trim and are what need to be connected by wiring.

You can see the back here on this RHD gold version:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M...-/323427384628

lights connect to trim like this:
Yeah, we're almost guaranteed not to have those connectors behind the current trim, I wonder if there is the spare wiring or we'll have to tap the existing ambient lighting.
 
  #15  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:22 PM
BTDUBS's Avatar
BTDUBS
BTDUBS is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I am totally in. Price isn’t bad, I just really want to make sure it will work.
 
  #16  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Budgett
Budgett is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but if it is not encoded, how are you going to change the color of the lighting of the LEDs? or your idea is that there is only one color?
 
  #17  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Budgett View Post
but if it is not encoded, how are you going to change the color of the lighting of the LEDs? or your idea is that there is only one color?
It's already coded for ambient lighting, you can change between the colors.
 
  #18  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Budgett
Budgett is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But my car has white lights in the area of the feet, that's the ambient lights?
.
 
  #19  
Old 01-26-2019, 04:54 PM
pw1114
pw1114 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Budgett View Post
But my car has white lights in the area of the feet, that's the ambient lights?
.




If your car has ambient lighting, your footwell lighting should have available base colors of red, blue, and green(or is it yellow?); these are the basis of the various colors you can achieve. You would also have a toggle switch in the overhead panel that controls the colors. If you don't have these things, you don't have ambient lighting, and it would probably be prohibitively expensive even if you found a way to retrofit the dashboard panel since you would need a new overhead console toggle switch set as well.

If you do have ambient lighting, just splice the wiring into the footwell lighting if the car is not already pre-wired for the dashboard panel.

I suppose you can wire it to only have one color permanently if you don't have ambient lighting?
 

Last edited by pw1114; 01-26-2019 at 05:05 PM.
  #20  
Old 01-27-2019, 06:23 AM
Budgett
Budgett is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pw1114 View Post
If your car has ambient lighting, your footwell lighting should have available base colors of red, blue, and green(or is it yellow?); these are the basis of the various colors you can achieve. You would also have a toggle switch in the overhead panel that controls the colors. If you don't have these things, you don't have ambient lighting, and it would probably be prohibitively expensive even if you found a way to retrofit the dashboard panel since you would need a new overhead console toggle switch set as well.

If you do have ambient lighting, just splice the wiring into the footwell lighting if the car is not already pre-wired for the dashboard panel.

I suppose you can wire it to only have one color permanently if you don't have ambient lighting?
my car has two LEDs on the roof, two lines on the front doors and another led in the area under the air conditioner, all orange, also has lighting in the area of the feet with white light, I have no switch to change the color on the roof.
 
  #21  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 AM
ND40oz
ND40oz is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver/Frankfurt
Posts: 139
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Budgett View Post
my car has two LEDs on the roof, two lines on the front doors and another led in the area under the air conditioner, all orange, also has lighting in the area of the feet with white light, I have no switch to change the color on the roof.
Do you have 4V9 the Mini Excitement Package? I think ambient lighting is standard now but the Excitement pack is what adds the colors.

 
  #22  
Old 03-25-2019, 06:14 AM
mattyb13
mattyb13 is online now
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tampa, FL area
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About to pull the trigger on my 2019 Custom Iconic F60 build with my local mini dealer. I have chosen to go with the Illuminated Piano Black interior but I am nervous that it is distracting or takes away from the classiness fo the Chesterfield Oak interior? Any feedback from those of you that already have the Illuminated Piano Black interior would be super helpful. Is it too much? Distracting while driving at night?
Thank you!!!
 
  #23  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 AM
BTDUBS's Avatar
BTDUBS
BTDUBS is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much wiring is needed? Is it plug and play? If so I will go down to the dealer and order the part.
 
  #24  
Old 04-21-2019, 01:54 PM
gareth12468
gareth12468 is offline
Neutral
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyb13 View Post
About to pull the trigger on my 2019 Custom Iconic F60 build with my local mini dealer. I have chosen to go with the Illuminated Piano Black interior but I am nervous that it is distracting or takes away from the classiness fo the Chesterfield Oak interior? Any feedback from those of you that already have the Illuminated Piano Black interior would be super helpful. Is it too much? Distracting while driving at night?
Thank you!!!
No distraction at all.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
twin_turbo
Interior/Exterior
6
03-25-2019 06:17 AM
clue
F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+)
5
06-03-2018 07:02 PM
Mosco
F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+)
28
05-07-2014 06:09 PM
Mini-LSE
R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015)
20
02-16-2013 02:19 PM
dhoosee
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
25
05-21-2008 08:03 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Piano black illuminated - photos or videos?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: