F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 New heads up display (and other question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 02:54 PM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question New heads up display (and other question)

I took my '18 Countryman to get service today and my loaner was a '19 and noticed a few small changes... One of which is a new heads up display! I can actually see the display with my sunglasses! I love using our HUD, but in the day time, it's pretty much useless to me since the the polarization is weird... They must have fixed that... Sadly, I asked if I could upgrade mine to the newer unit, but my Service guy said that the newer units are designed differently... Not sure how much of that is true, but man, I want that new screen!

I also noticed that the '19 showed the current MPH limit in the HUD as well (my '18 doesn't do this), does anyone know if there's a software update for that, or I am just SOL? I assume, SOL, but thought I'd ask...

The left stalk also has two buttons at the end instead of one now as well... It's weird... LOL!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:17 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Do you have option 5AS - Active Driving Assistant? That's what adds Speed Limit Info (KAFAS camera is what is required), if you have that, can you see the current limit in the MFD?

Here's the current HUD: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/en/parts/...ay/62308702092
It looks like it changed with the June 18 production, they've actually updated it 6 times since its initial release, you'd think that it would be replaceable with a newer unit and some coding.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:35 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Do you have option 5AS - Active Driving Assistant? That's what adds Speed Limit Info (KAFAS camera is what is required), if you have that, can you see the current limit in the MFD?

Here's the current HUD: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/en/parts/...ay/62308702092
It looks like it changed with the June 18 production, they've actually updated it 6 times since its initial release, you'd think that it would be replaceable with a newer unit and some coding.

Nope, we don't have the driving assist... :( Sad. The speed limit shows up on our Maps on CarPlay though... So I guess I gotta keep looking over...

Wow! That's crazy how many times it's been updated! Not cheap either (not that I was expecting it to be cheap), but still... I just want/need the little plastic piece! LOL!

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-22-2018, 12:42 PM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Yeah, so Apple maps and Waze both use their own data for the speed limit info and unfortunately they don't show any of that info on the MFD or HUD. The builtin Mini Navigation uses the front facing KAFAS camera to read the speed limit signs which is why you don't need to keep the maps updated for it, it's doing it in real time for you.

And yeah, you can't just replace the plastic screen, have to do the whole unit unfortunately. But software updates will change things in the HUD, when I had a complete one done on my F31 after owning it for two years, they had changed how a few things were displayed.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Yeah, so Apple maps and Waze both use their own data for the speed limit info and unfortunately they don't show any of that info on the MFD or HUD. The builtin Mini Navigation uses the front facing KAFAS camera to read the speed limit signs which is why you don't need to keep the maps updated for it, it's doing it in real time for you.

And yeah, you can't just replace the plastic screen, have to do the whole unit unfortunately. But software updates will change things in the HUD, when I had a complete one done on my F31 after owning it for two years, they had changed how a few things were displayed.

Yeah, as much as I love CarPlay, I really wish it was a bit more integrated into the system as a whole... I am sure it's Apple's fault, but I use CarPlay almost exclusively, so not having the info readily available makes it a little less useful... :( Interesting though that the Mini system does it in real time...

Having the upgraded HUD would be nice, but definitely not worth the cost for me...