F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Solved 2 Annoying Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
oinktron
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Solved 2 Annoying Rattles

For whatever reason, whenever I end up buying a new BMW, the damn thing always has some sort of rattle somewhere. It was true on a 2015 320i, a 2016 328i, and, apparently, the Mini no exception!

So, just as an FYI, I discovered, and resolved, these highly annoying rattles from the following 2 areas:

1. Rattle sound coming from glove box area; turned out to be vent tubes/exhausts under the glove compartment. These vent ports were making contact with the lowermost plastic trim part under the glove box. Amazingly, all I had to do, was gently push the tubes up further a bit. I guess someone on the assembly line rushed it a bit, or the robot was a bit off that day...

2. Sun roof shade; in its fully retracted position, its edges will rattle against the guide rails. Solution: don't fully retract it, pull it out about a hair, half inch, maybe an inch. Rear sun roof shade does not appear to rattle when fully retracted.

Unbelievable difference this made, and all it took, thankfully, was a bit of detective work and no service dept. visits.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi,
I had posted about the sunroof rattle earlier in the year. My post is here if you wanted to take a look.
The MINI dealer fixed it for me simply by applying some felt on the ledge beneath the sunshade when it's closed.

Perhaps you can mention it next time you're at the dealer to have them fix it so you don't need a workaround to close it only part of the way. I haven't had a rattle since then.

-Jason

Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 PM
oinktron
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheJuice
Hi,
I had posted about the sunroof rattle earlier in the year. My post is here if you wanted to take a look.
The MINI dealer fixed it for me simply by applying some felt on the ledge beneath the sunshade when it's closed.

Perhaps you can mention it next time you're at the dealer to have them fix it so you don't need a workaround to close it only part of the way. I haven't had a rattle since then.

-Jason
Nice! Thanks, I will mention it to the dealer the next time I'm there!