F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Bimmer Coding the F60

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM
gtlondon
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbort
How do you turn off the active sound with bimmercode? There is an option for it at the bottom but only 1 choice? I don't see on or off, I tried to check and uncheck the choice and while programming the sound goes away for a few seconds and comes back. Do I need to do it in expert mode?

THanks,

-=>Raja.
i went into expert mode and found “F60” in there and it came back online

Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
See I don't have the same options

I have at the bottom of the bimmercode app:

Vehicle Sound generator

Under that, there is

Remember last setting
Not Active

And inside that menu is

Active
Not Active.

If I change it to active, nothing happens, sound is still on.

-=>Raja.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I have at the bottom of the bimmercode app:

Vehicle Sound generator

Under that, there is

Remember last setting
Not Active

And inside that menu is

Active
Not Active.

If I change it to active, nothing happens, sound is still on.

-=>Raja.
Hmmm... it's interesting that the User Interface is different for us. I checked the Expert Mode and I do not see anything labeled "Vehicle Sound generator" in the UI. The only thought is wondering whether your BimmerCode is running on an iOS (Apple) or Android (Other) device? I'm using an Apple iPad Pro (10.5"). Could be that if you're using Android, the presentation is different. The app programming has to be different because it would be a different operating system, but I would have thought the UIs would be substantially the same. iOS or Android?
-Bob

Old 10-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 18cmjcw
Not sure what you mean when you write, "there is an option for it at the bottom." It's at the top of my list of ECUs in BimmerCode. Also, I'm not given a direct choice of turning the active sound back on... BimmerCode tells me that I have to restore from a backup if I want the Active Sound Design on again. I've taken three screen shots of BimmerCode screens I access on my iPad (see the attachments) while it is actually connected to the OBDII adapter in my car (sorry about the reflections in the images).
-Bob

could you pleaseeee tell me in kombi / instrument cluster in which node (3000/3001...) and the in which line the lines are for the rev counter activation on the hud? Pleaasssseee! On my SE my instrument cluster is not mapped. But i can code it in esys if somebody could look it up for me. And mybe we even can find a way to avtivate the gong for forgetting phone in cradle? I already found the code for the nbt which activated the menu, but there is another line in combi which needs to be activated for the gong.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:38 PM
rbort
2nd Gear
I am using an iPhone but my screens are different. We do have the hybrid car so maybe it’s different menus for that?

-=>Raja.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Miniminic
could you pleaseeee tell me in kombi / instrument cluster in which node (3000/3001...) and the in which line the lines are for the rev counter activation on the hud? Pleaasssseee! On my SE my instrument cluster is not mapped. But i can code it in esys if somebody could look it up for me. And mybe we even can find a way to avtivate the gong for forgetting phone in cradle? I already found the code for the nbt which activated the menu, but there is another line in combi which needs to be activated for the gong.
Miniminic, if you're asking my help (you quoted my post) in figuring out which choices in BimmerCode correspond to HUD displays, unfortunately I am not going to be able in any reasonable amount of time. In BimmerCode all the Expert Mode options, which is apparently where choices like this can be made in that app, are almost entirely in German and German abbreviations. I went hunting on Google to try to find pre-existing English translations, but the one file I found is from 2014 and missing a ton of stuff. In BimmerCode, 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration (Display Configuration) has about 180 separate line items.

Apart from having to translate them all, it's my understanding that there may be "supporting" configuration choices that must be made in other sections of the MINI's computer coding... in the E-Sys Coding thread (where you have posted before), it appears from the posts of others that, for example, just changing from an incandescent bulb to an LED requires multiple coding.

Apart from the translation issue, I'm afraid I don't have any, let's say, "commercial" coding experience that might help to clarify which of the multiple HUD_*** and other codes might be required to effect the change(s) you're looking for.

I think your best bet on NAM is to head back to the E-Sys Coding on F60 thread, since that is the software you're using. Eventually someone with both German language and HUD coding experience will respond. Another thought I had was that you might try your luck with a query on the BMW forums (perhaps bimmerpost.com or bimmerfest.com ? )

At some point, when I get enough time and gumption up for fiddling around more on my own car, I may try Expert Mode stuff. But I'm not going to experiment with changing the coding on the car in Expert Mode until I'm dead certain about what to change... I don't want to risk "bricking" the computer if I do it wrong.

-Bob

Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
I am using an iPhone but my screens are different. We do have the hybrid car so maybe it’s different menus for that?

-=>Raja.
Just to make sure it wasn't a difference because I was using an iPad, I checked using the app on my iPhone... but it's the same as the iPad. The fact that your BimmerCode label is different is interesting.

My thinking is that it is the BimmerCode developer who has supplied the English in the app because I would think that in the car's computer programming these coding labels would almost certainly be in German... after all, BMW software engineering is bound to be in Germany.... all the Expert Mode labels are in German, etc. But I can't imagine why this app label would behave differently... doesn't make sense to me that the BimmerCode developer would go to the trouble to change the labels for an SE.

If nobody comes up with a better suggestion for the SE, maybe you'll end up emailing the BimmerCode developer... that his coding isn't working for your car could be a software bug that he should be made aware of.

Think I've run out of "educated" guesses on this one... maybe only the dumb guesses are left

-Bob

Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
I already mailed bimmercode 3 times. He says our instrument cluster isn’t mapped. I already found out that it is mapped only if you have esys launcher pro! But buying that is a bit too much in my opinion since i only need it for 2 fairly small options and even if you pay a lot of people don’t get a response for months i read on bimmerfest.
Our problem with the PHEV is the cluster is a different model. That’s why it doesn’t show in esys and bimmercode. I have both.

Coding in expert mode is really not a big thing for me. I do it all the time and that’s why i stumble upon things like compass and phone reminder and so on.
my German is ok but if you know which lines to search for it doesn’t matter if you know German. You only need to find the right line and change it to active. If it doesn’t work you can code it back. As long as you know which line you changed.

the line for activating the sound for forgetting phone in armrest charging tray is probably
WCA Which stands for

Comment = Verfügbarkeit Wireless Charging Ablage -> Handy Vergessen Warner CCM (über HMI) + Deaktivierbarkeit des Handy Vergessen Warner über HMI (Translation: Availability Wireless charging storage-> mobile forget Warner CCM (with HMI) + disable capability of the phone forget Warner on HMI)

and lines for activating rev counter in hud are these 3 lines:

Old 10-11-2018, 11:38 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
I already mailed bimmercode 3 times. He says our instrument cluster isn’t mapped. I already found out that it is mapped only if you have esys launcher pro! But buying that is a bit too much in my opinion since i only need it for 2 fairly small options and even if you pay a lot of people don’t get a response for months i read on bimmerfest.
Our problem with the PHEV is the cluster is a different model. That’s why it doesn’t show in esys and bimmercode. I have both.

Coding in expert mode is really not a big thing for me. I do it all the time and that’s why i stumble upon things like compass and phone reminder and so on.
my German is ok but if you know which lines to search for it doesn’t matter if you know German. You only need to find the right line and change it to active. If it doesn’t work you can code it back. As long as you know which line you changed.

the line for activating the sound for forgetting phone in armrest charging tray is probably
WCA Which stands for

Comment = Verfügbarkeit Wireless Charging Ablage -> Handy Vergessen Warner CCM (über HMI) + Deaktivierbarkeit des Handy Vergessen Warner über HMI (Translation: Availability Wireless charging storage-> mobile forget Warner CCM (with HMI) + disable capability of the phone forget Warner on HMI)
I see. Your German language ability and your knowledge of BMW's 2- and 3-letter shortcut acronyms is definitely an advantage. Given the number of years that it has been possible to do the coding ourselves, I am surprised that there isn't an "uber" reference document, with English translations, that someone in some BMW forum has kept current and made available for non-German, non-BMW employees. If it exists, I couldn't easily find it (so far).

In any event, it appears you have found the HUD rev counter coding you were looking for.

Thanks for the clarifications.
-Bob

Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 18cmjcw
I see.

In any event, it appears you have found the HUD rev counter coding you were looking for.

Thanks for the clarifications.
-Bob
Unfortunately Bob i havent. I know how they are called, on my car the instrument cluster is unknown. So all the lines are gibberish. So i would have to guess blind which is which. Look at this screenshot. I know how they are called but i cannot find them. That’s why i need somebody to tell mee in which node it is for example 3000/3001... and then count for me how many lines down it is. These 3 lines are under each other. That i know.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:23 PM
rbort
2nd Gear
Sport stuff in Heads up display

WCA Which stands for

and lines for activating rev counter in hud are these 3 lines:

So I turned on these features (the 3 lines) and it enables sport options in the heads up display menu to check off. I check them but I don't see any information in the HUD. It just shows speed limit and speed as usual. I even started the engine in manual shifting or put it in sport mode but saw nothing. Does this not work for the PHEV mini?

I did see also an option for "distance" and I checked that and that option appears in the menu. I think its supposed to light up a car in the HUD if you're too close to another car. I can't test it now in my garage.

There was a third option for M. Its M Display like my menu display or something. Not sure what that is for...

Any insight?

-=>Raja.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
You only activated the menu in the idrive systen. You need to activate the same 3 lines in the instrument cluster. Now you only activated them in nbt.
When you also activate them in instrument cluster you will get a rev counter in the hud if you want it. I had this configured in my F56. When i put my car in sport mode with gearbox or car mode i would get that rev counter in the hud. You only get lines no numbers but it is especially in this car a nice option because we don’t have a rev counter at all.

But, there is a butt. Unless you have esys with launcher pro, which is fully mapped you cannot code instrument cluster unfortunately. With bimmercode our instrument cluster is unknown and in esys with premium launcher it is not mapped. So you would be operating blind. That’s why i asked somebody to look for me and count the lines.
When it was mapped i also would have found the corresponding line to activate forgetting phone in armrest option. Nobody still has looked. Now i jest have the menu in my idrive.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:35 PM
rbort
2nd Gear
Oh shoot, so what you're saying I only turned on the menu option and that's it. I could see an additional menu option for distance (which I also turned on) but that may not work also in the HUD...
I will take one more look and see what bimmercode says for instrument cluster...

Yup, it says "not supported" for instrument cluster in bimmercode :(

So I turned on distance option and that may not work either because its not enabled in the instrument cluster?

Bummer... What about bimmerlink app, does that do anything better?

-=>Raja.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:45 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
You got it if you also mail binmercode support he maybe will incorporate it. The more the marrier. I don’t know about bimmerlink unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 AM
gtlondon
Neutral
Hey guys how do I activate speed limit on my HUD please? I am located in the US and I believe this may be turned off. Thanks

Old 10-21-2018, 07:01 AM
Minims
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was not active in HUD, but only in Kombi. After a dealer update , it appears now in HUD. Seems to be a firmware update, not just coding :-/

Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
What is Kombi? I emailed bimmercode to see if he can work on getting the instrument cluster supported. Says not supported now...

I think I saw Kombi settings in expert menu somewhere...

I have a 2019 Mini PHEV, you would think its got the latest software update.

-=>Raja.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Kombi is german for instrument cluster
but hud and instrument cluster are coded in same module.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:17 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
Well, I have Kombi in expert menus somewhere else, I forgot where. I can't check now because the Mini is out and about with the wife 65 miles away. She drove to Glouster today got 48mpg using the battery and some gas. Charging right now over there...

maybe I can go in another menu and find kombi and through there I can change those 3 items to turn on the rpm in the instrument cluster??

-=>Raja.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Not possible Raja. There will be lines in other modules containing kombi but it is not that module. You really need to be in that module to change these values for it to work.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:19 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
So what have people changed? Let me think what I did...

1. Fog lights work in all modes, parking light, low beam and high beam.
2. Reverse turns on door handle lights.
3. Turned off fake engine sound by changing sound file from wave 1 to wave 2 in expert mode.
4. Tailgate can be opened and closed from the remote and inside the driver side door button.

What else is interesting and cool to do?

Thanks all!

-=>Raja.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
Also, let me ask about the bluetooth devices you guys are using. I'm using the Veepeak with Bimmercode and its slow, takes time to load all the pages, read data and code.

Are there better ODB ones out there that might work better? I see this one:

Amazon Amazon

Does that work better? Its also more than twice the price so I'm not sure if its worth it?

-=>Raja.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
There is hope!!!

I spoke to Stephan from Bimmercode and he is going to look into incorporating the instrument cluster for the PHEV Countryman :D

I've got my fingers crossed and hope that I can make some more changes once he codes that option in.

-=>Raja.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
i asked him too couple months ago but when more people ask maybe he will do it. Let’s hope so.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:14 AM
einstein_314
1st Gear
Just coded my new F60 JCW on the weekend for the first time (I've only had it for a week!). The things I started with are:

- Turn of ASD (still evaluating whether I will keep it off - anyone know if there is a way to have it run in 'Normal' mode even when the car is in 'Sport' mode?)
- Car starts in sport mode
- Turn off notice on NAV when car starts

That's it for now. Need to do some research what the other options actually do.

Quick Reply: F60 Bimmer Coding the F60