F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Yet another issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Yet another issue...

Unfortunately the CM has to go in yet again to the dealership next week.

First was the rear deck opening on it's own. Was in the shop a few days for that - and the rear still opens on it's own from time to time.
We've recently had issues with it stalling out while making left turns which ended up being a stability control sensor - the car was in the shop about 2 weeks for this. Was very dangerous as it would stall at the most critical moment, for ex at a light turning left.

We just took the car on a road trip a few hours out of town and now it's the brakes. Getting vibration under braking and grinding noise. The brakes feel very ineffective at highway speeds. All four rotors look like the pads are not making full contact with them as if the calipers are all sticking. Anyone else having issues with their calipers??
Also, the autostart/stop functionality - wow, horrible system. Twice over the weekend it shut the engine down when it should not have. Both times rolling up to a stop, barely stopped, depressed clutch to put into 1st gear and engine dies. Once time I was in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway, second time was while I was about to turn left at a busy intersection (yet again).

Getting a bit frustrated with this vehicle... This thing has less than 8k on it!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:27 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles with the car. Weeks at a time in the shop has got to be frustrating. We have been Lucky at 8k with Ethel the only issue has benn one of the tabs fell out of the cup holder and that was a quick fix they put in a whole new assembly in about 30 mins.

The software and sensors are getting complex to the point it makes them very hard to service and drop in an exponential amount of failure points. But they have to do a better job on their failure modes and effect analysis up front in the design process. Excuses don’t help when you are sitting dead in an intersection with traffic headed at you.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:03 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Does the lemon law still apply?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Tab1945
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2014 mini cooper country man and a 2013 hardtop. I had brakes replaced by mechanic/friend on both cars and after a few weeks, the brake lights came on in both cars and I can not get it turn off. Can someone tell me why this has happened to both cars.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tab1945
I have a 2014 mini cooper country man and a 2013 hardtop. I had brakes replaced by mechanic/friend on both cars and after a few weeks, the brake lights came on in both cars and I can not get it turn off. Can someone tell me why this has happened to both cars.
Probably, but you'll want to ask in the proper forums for those vehicles.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Sorry to hear your troubles with the car. Weeks at a time in the shop has got to be frustrating. We have been Lucky at 8k with Ethel the only issue has benn one of the tabs fell out of the cup holder and that was a quick fix they put in a whole new assembly in about 30 mins.
The software and sensors are getting complex to the point it makes them very hard to service and drop in an exponential amount of failure points. But they have to do a better job on their failure modes and effect analysis up front in the design process. Excuses don’t help when you are sitting dead in an intersection with traffic headed at you.
I agree, I was just outside looking up under the the car. If the Mini was ever in an accident, I think it would get very expensive, very quick. Its put together very well, it has some cool bracing on that rear axle. Shocks are easy to get to.
We have 7200 miles on ours and the tires are wearing perfectly. Rotated once. Knock on wood, I cannot complain about mine, except you cannot lock it from the inside. You cannot lock it without the key fob, annoying.
You certainly will not lock your key fob in that car Feature ?

Hope everything works out for your car MrFunk, its always a hassle when its in the shop.
Best regards,

Old 09-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've felt that the brakes have been kind of weak from the start, especially compared to my old R60, feel like I have to push the pedal harder than expected. No grinding or substantial vibrations but it does seem like feedback has been a little rough for me lately.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:17 PM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
OP, bummer on all your issues.

Re: your rear deck opening I offer the following thoughts. My 2017 F57 S was doing all sorts of seemingly "strange things" including - boot unlocking w/ error message while driving, sunroof would be partially open in the morning when it was closed when I went to bed, once I came into the garage and the top was partially down standing almost straight up, and missing radio presets. After a long discussion w/ my service advisor all of my "strange things" could be traced to what I'll call improper keyfob management on my part. In short, if your key fob is shoved into your pocket (or your wife's purse) w/ a bunch of other pocket stuff the buttons on the fob can easily get pushed in a combination to cause things to happen. If you put your pants (w/ fob in pocket) at night where a pet can walk/lay on them, buttons can get pushed.

Radio presets and outside rearview mirror settings are tied to a specific key fob also. So, if you set the radio and mirror up for you (with your fob in your pocket) and the next day your wife happens to unlock the car first (because her fob is in her purse) the car will know it was her fob, not yours. All of the presets tied to your fob won't be there because her fob unlocked the car. Kind of embarrassing to learn these things the way I did, but my service advisor was wonderful. One last piece of advice he gave me was to lock the car every time I exited it even if it was in the garage for the night. All my "strange issues" ended.

When I hear the boot unlocking now, first thing I do is change the position of the fob in my pocket, then go back and latch the boot door.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Karrock
I've felt that the brakes have been kind of weak from the start, especially compared to my old R60, feel like I have to push the pedal harder than expected. No grinding or substantial vibrations but it does seem like feedback has been a little rough for me lately.
That is interesting. I about sent me and the wifey through the windshield last weekend driving around. I had been driving my old Jeep and hit em on the Mini with that little extra pump, like I usually do on the Jeep, to get them ready and whoops ! Yeah they are definitely not weak
I have to watch what I drive before I get into the Mini. I guess its all relative, unless you can compare to another CM. Go test drive one, and see how the brakes are compared to yours.
Side note: Always thought 'Emma Frost' was the best name for a Mini, Karrock.
Best regards

Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Thanks all. It is indeed very frustrating. I agree the brakes have always been a bit of a weak point - they often feel overwhelmed.
We'll get it brought in to the dealership this week and I'll update you all. I should take some before pics of the rotors for you all to see... My guess is sticking calipers.... We shall see...
Contended - thanks for your thoughts and comments on the fob. For us it was not a fob issue. I watched the rear trunk open on it's own while dangling the fob in my hand. Buttons nowhere near anything but air. It will also close on it's own. It doesn't happy as much as it did before but it's still once in a while.
Stay tuned!

Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFunk
I agree the brakes have always been a bit of a weak point - they often feel overwhelmed.
You must have caliper issues because I'm still trying to get accustomed to the awesome JCW brakes on ours. I can't imagine non-JCW brakes being that much less aggressive. Good luck with your speedy recovery.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:17 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
They ended up replacing all 4 rotors and pads under warranty. Apparently there was excessive corrosion which I find odd. Especially on all four corners. Perhaps they are using cheap quality parts?? The fact that they replaced a wear and tear item under warranty is a tell take that it was abnormal (obviously).
I'll keep an eye on it over the next month or so to make sure it's not more than just rotors and pads. I still have a hunch the calipers are suspect.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:57 AM
contented
2nd Gear
MrFunk, it can be very discouraging when one buys a new vehicle and has trouble. IMHO the good news is your dealer appears to be stepping up and starting to do what needs done. Keep after them. I wouldn't stress over whats causing the problems - it is wasted effort. Could be many things. Hopefully they'll get it figured out and you become a happy Countryman owner. Good luck.

As an aside, I'm patiently waiting for the 300hp Countryman. :-)

Old 09-08-2018, 05:30 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by contented
MrFunk, it can be very discouraging when one buys a new vehicle and has trouble. IMHO the good news is your dealer appears to be stepping up and starting to do what needs done. Keep after them. I wouldn't stress over whats causing the problems - it is wasted effort. Could be many things. Hopefully they'll get it figured out and you become a happy Countryman owner. Good luck.

As an aside, I'm patiently waiting for the 300hp Countryman. :-)
Agreed. The dealership has done well this time with service (which seems to be improving).
You're right, we do need a tune for this thing to wake it up a bit!

Old 09-08-2018, 05:41 AM
contented
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrFunk
Agreed. The dealership has done well this time with service (which seems to be improving).
You're right, we do need a tune for this thing to wake it up a bit!
My Motoring Advisor has been telling me this is coming - http://www.motoringfile.com/2018/09/...p-bmw-x2-m35i/ That's when I trade the Nissan Altima.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 AM
OrangeCrushTX
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-08-2018, 12:13 PM
contented
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OrangeCrushTX
You didn't read the first paragraph in my link. :-)