F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 F 60 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 AM
krasuckidouglas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F 60 Brakes

Brakes on our ‘17 CMS are very touchy, grabby, or whatever term you’d use for engaging to quickly and too hard when first applied. They’re very hard to modulate also. Our ‘14 CMS has excellent brakes. Is there a technical advisory on this? I hesitate to change pads as this seems like a power booster issue. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 08-09-2018, 03:46 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, I've noticed the same grabby issue and it is particularly annoying when trying to inch up to a stop without hitting something in close range. Also note that the engine rpms jump up a little bit just when the car comes to stop, making precision stops that more difficult. Would like to swap brake pads but the aftermarket applications for the F60 are pitifully absent. Just a trait of the breed I guess.

The following users liked this post:
krasuckidouglas (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Brakes

I find myself hitting them to hard especially after driving my Jeep. Good gosh almost sent us through the windshield one day !
You know you mention the engine rpm jump up a little, I think that is the 'hill-assist'. My old Jeep TJ has that ( sometimes). Other days it decides not to.
Personally I think the CTM has very good brakes. Wife likes them to.
I have a pair of boots that if I wear and drive, I don't have as good feeling when hitting the brake pedal. Shoes make a big difference also.

Have a good one !

Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
When I first got my car in December, I also felt the brakes were more grabby than I was used to. But with now >12,000 miles on the car (yeah... it's California where you have to drive to go to the toilet ), either I have adjusted my braking to match the car's characteristics or the brakes have "settled down" and I don't notice anything odd any more.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:49 AM
krasuckidouglas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossingover
Yes, I've noticed the same grabby issue and it is particularly annoying when trying to inch up to a stop without hitting something in close range. Also note that the engine rpms jump up a little bit just when the car comes to stop, making precision stops that more difficult. Would like to swap brake pads but the aftermarket applications for the F60 are pitifully absent. Just a trait of the breed I guess.
I wonder if the computer could be reprogrammed (flashed) to eliminate the jerky slow stop function by not boosting the rpms just when the car stops. Also, the grabbing on application got better when the roters got rusty after sitting over the winter. It took a month of braking to clean the rust off. Now they’re back to where they were.... annoying.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Mine on the SE have been smooth. I have been impressed that you don’t even notice the transition from from regen braking to actual brakes. I have changed my braking in that I coast down more to maximize recharge.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
Personally I think the CTM has very good brakes.
I agree that the brakes are excellent; just wish the slow roll precision stops were easier to modulate.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Blu_lite
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
New to the forum, hello everyone. Thanks for all the useful posts.

I just picked my CM and felt the brake were fine on the 30 min drive home. I am use to it being more peddle sensitive on the MCS which was my daily driver until now.