F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 F60 C-Man...JCW vs E-Hybrid...Opinions Wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:12 AM
BossHoss
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question F60 C-Man...JCW vs E-Hybrid...Opinions Wanted.

I do understand the pros and cons of each, but I would love to hear any opinions/comparisons (performance, fun, annoyances) from those who have some experience behind the wheel in both.

TIA!

Old 06-09-2018, 01:00 PM
mainsg
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 2018 JCW F60. I couldn't be happier. Coming from a 2005 Cooper S, the thing really moves and has way more get-up-and-go than my old 05 S. I debated between the hybrid and then JCW and I am very glad I went with the JCW. Also, if you plan on doing mods like tow hitch, lift kit, etc, most do not support the hybrid.

The following users liked this post:
BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM
godthisblows
Neutral
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m thinking of getting the PHEV as I have a 19mile commute each day and wouldn’t mind using less gas. I really need to go drive one though to see how I like it. I just wish I could get a better idea of the mileage I’ll actually be getting.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 07:11 PM
mstover
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by godthisblows
I’m thinking of getting the PHEV as I have a 19mile commute each day and wouldn’t mind using less gas. I really need to go drive one though to see how I like it. I just wish I could get a better idea of the mileage I’ll actually be getting.

EPA states that your overall combined mileage will be one mile per gallon better in the SE than in the S countryman if that helps. I've been comparing an S with the SE as well and the other issue for me was breaking distance...extra 17 feet for the SE when breaking from 70mph to 0...I would have been in two accidents on Friday alone if I had the SE. I'll give them a few years to figure it all out.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:05 PM
godthisblows
Neutral
Originally Posted by mstover
EPA states that your overall combined mileage will be one mile per gallon better in the SE than in the S countryman if that helps. I've been comparing an S with the SE as well and the other issue for me was breaking distance...extra 17 feet for the SE when breaking from 70mph to 0...I would have been in two accidents on Friday alone if I had the SE. I'll give them a few years to figure it all out.
interesting. I figured the mileage would be better when in hybrid mode with a topped off battery. I would charge it at home and at work. It also isn’t any more expensive due to the tax credit. Plus being in Colorado you get another tax credit.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:25 AM
mstover
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting. I figured the mileage would be better when in hybrid mode with a topped off battery. I would charge it at home and at work. It also isn’t any more expensive due to the tax credit. Plus being in Colorado you get another tax credit.
Fueleconomy.gov (https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/MINI2019.shtml) shows that the Cooper S Countryman All4 4cyl 2.0 L Automatic gets 26 combined city/highway while the Cooper SE Countryman All4 3 cyl, 1.5 L Automatic gets 27 combined city/highway. See image from that page below.

For me, my driving is nearly all highway and I go about 120 miles per day. That along with the much longer breaking distances as reported by MotorTrend and Car and Driver just don't make the few SE advantages worthwhile at least to me.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mini/...t-test-review/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...id-test-review

Fueleconomy.gov mileage for 2019 countryman

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 AM
Saburo
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
27 is on fuel only. We got our SE 2 weeks ago and are seeing around 50 in hybrid. It’s my wife’s vehicle and she does about 30 miles a day 60% if that is Highway.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:17 AM
godthisblows
Neutral
Originally Posted by Saburo
27 is on fuel only. We got our SE 2 weeks ago and are seeing around 50 in hybrid. It’s my wife’s vehicle and she does about 30 miles a day 60% if that is Highway.
Thank you for the feedback. I was hoping it would be better in hybrid mode. Does she charge it only at home?

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:28 AM
Saburo
1st Gear
Yup. She plugs it in any time it’s in the garage so it stays as charged up as possible. We use the standard level 1 charger that comes with it. Usually gets home about 5ish and it’s ready to go at 7 am for her commute. It automatically cuts power to the charger when it’s topped off so haven’t actually tested time to a full charge yet. She loves it and it’s defintiely super quick. I have a 17 F55S with CAI and Dinan Sport so relatively close to JCW power and it feels like the SE is much quicker off the line.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:49 AM
godthisblows
Neutral
Originally Posted by Saburo
Yup. She plugs it in any time it’s in the garage so it stays as charged up as possible. We use the standard level 1 charger that comes with it. Usually gets home about 5ish and it’s ready to go at 7 am for her commute. It automatically cuts power to the charger when it’s topped off so haven’t actually tested time to a full charge yet. She loves it and it’s defintiely super quick. I have a 17 F55S with CAI and Dinan Sport so relatively close to JCW power and it feels like the SE is much quicker off the line.
Great feedback. After the other comments I was going to write it off but now I’ll have to test drive one.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 AM
Saburo
1st Gear
Definitely worth a test drive if nothing else. We traded in her 17 MB GLC300 (241 hp / 273 tq) and she thinks the SE is noticeably quicker. Good luck!

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 PM
BMacUC
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just picked up my 2018 SE earlier this week and I love it. The instant torque from the electric motor makes it feel really quick. For me, it is a great balance of performance and efficiency.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got 7K miles on my 2018 SE and I love it! I can go from cruising along in all electric green mode and slap the shifter over to sport and it kicks the engine on and the electric engine together and phhheeevv it's quick! The E-Drive in sport mode alone is awesome for around town driving. I don't know if I'll be able to go back to a standard ice engine vehicle.

I just had the driving lights installed and had a justa 2018 countryman as a loaner. Huge difference, like a totally different vehicle (even though they share the same engine).

One thing I love about the SE when driving in full on sport mode is the E-Braking. On twistys, you let off the gas leaving an apex and it starts slowing you down going into your next one, much like engine breaking, but less taxing on the engine. You learn to feather the accelerator to manage acceleration vs. deceleration.

The only complaint I have is learning the braking behavior. When you get to below 15 mph, the standard breaks take over. It takes some getting used to and my wife complains (she barely drives it).

For me, going green was a big deciding factor in my purchase, but the fun factor of having the dual engine setup doesn't hurt!

MPGs....I have 48 mpg as the overall average, but that's with two 1,500 plus mile road trips, which averaged at 37 on their own. I regularly go 700 miles on a 8 gallon tank with my 7 mile commute with 60 mile trips sprinkled here and there.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:46 PM
BossHoss
1st Gear
Lots of great info...keep it coming please, and thank you, everybody!

Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Mini03Tiger84
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had my SE All4 for a couple of months now. I needed the All4 feature for mountain driveways. I liked the idea of all electric for going to town and back which I can do most days. Colder days or max AC usage will shorted the range.
I love the combined torque and power. 0-60 in 6 seconds (my personal experience). This thing does get-up and go.
Highway I get high 30's / low 40's. I like that all the accessories run off the main battery pack and regenerative braking keeps the pack charged enough to run those. It's a different kind of Hybrid for sure. Less load on the motor. They could use EV to boost up hills on when you need 10HP. That would be more like Honda Civic or Prius. I would think that would help get higher mileage.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 AM
godthisblows
Neutral
Thank you all for the information. I am going on Friday to test drive one and will let everyone know my thoughts as well.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Be sure to test it in the various settings! There are 9 total configurations haha.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:48 PM
godthisblows
Neutral
Originally Posted by Snurfer
Be sure to test it in the various settings! There are 9 total configurations haha.
Well I drove the SE and was hooked. Took it home yesterday and charged it overnight then did a quick jaunt up to Peak to Peak highway. Averaged 40mpg on the drive. When I did that drive in my Grand Cherokee I think I got 18mpg so I can’t complain. I just kept it in auto mode and it seemed to cycle between electric, gas, and regen mode pretty damned well. I highly recommend anyone to test drive one as it’s pretty seamless when it goes between modes.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:00 PM
BMacUC
2nd Gear

Well I drove the SE and was hooked. Took it home yesterday and charged it overnight then did a quick jaunt up to Peak to Peak highway. Averaged 40mpg on the drive. When I did that drive in my Grand Cherokee I think I got 18mpg so I can’t complain. I just kept it in auto mode and it seemed to cycle between electric, gas, and regen mode pretty damned well. I highly recommend anyone to test drive one as it’s pretty seamless when it goes between modes.
Welcome to the club! We felt the same way after test driving the SE, had to have it! We need an official SE owners club!

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:19 PM
godthisblows
Neutral
Originally Posted by BMacUC

Welcome to the club! We felt the same way after test driving the SE, had to have it! We need an official SE owners club!
So I’m digging the car and it came with the privacy glass but I need to order a sun shade. Any recommendations? I prefer the ones that aren’t rigid as they take up far less space.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:33 PM
godthisblows
Neutral
Originally Posted by BMacUC

Whoops quote doesn’t equal edit. Sorry for the duplicate post.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 PM
BMacUC
2nd Gear

So I’m digging the car and it came with the privacy glass but I need to order a sun shade. Any recommendations? I prefer the ones that aren’t rigid as they take up far less space.
I’ve got a basix magic shade, I would recommend that or something similar.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:58 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BossHoss
I do understand the pros and cons of each, but I would love to hear any opinions/comparisons (performance, fun, annoyances) from those who have some experience behind the wheel in both.

TIA!
I know some people love theirs, but to me, the Justa is not enough for the Countryman's bulk. It's great on an F56, but not here.

The E, to me (no offense intended!!), is simply the worst of all worlds: small tank, less storage, no sliding rear bench, increased weight, more expensive, barely perceptible efficiency gain, no manual transmission!

So, the only options I'd consider are S and JCW. If I didn't need a manual, then also X1 and X2.

Personally, I got an S All4 MT. It was the perfect choice for me, and I often get >500 mile range, hwy.

My 2 centavos.

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 AM
BMacUC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by darex
I know some people love theirs, but to me, the Justa is not enough for the Countryman's bulk. It's great on an F56, but not here.

The E, to me (no offense intended!!), is simply the worst of all worlds: small tank, less storage, no sliding rear bench, increased weight, more expensive, barely perceptible efficiency gain, no manual transmission!

So, the only options I'd consider are S and JCW. If I didn't need a manual, then also X1 and X2.

Personally, I got an S All4 MT. It was the perfect choice for me, and I often get >500 mile range, hwy.

My 2 centavos.
Fair enough, your points are valid! I would have preferred a MT as well (my R56 was a MT) but had to get AT for my wife to be able to drive it. I also didn't buy the S E for gas mileage. While it has been great for me so far (51+mpg avg) I love the instant torque and added performance of the S E which is faster than the S and cheaper than the JCW (comparing base prices)! To each his own though!

BossHoss (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM
BossHoss
1st Gear
Talking

Well I made the jump....yesterday I drove my JCW Countryman to St. Louis and traded it in for a SE Countryman PHEV.

Drove the Hybrid 5 hours home last night.

Very happy.

I took some pics in (very sunny) Chicago today and so as not to derail this discussion, I will post them in a new thread.

Quick Reply: F60 F60 C-Man...JCW vs E-Hybrid...Opinions Wanted.