F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 XM / Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 11:59 AM
sdupp
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
XM / Sirius

We just got our new 2018 Countryman and it did Not come with Sirius/XM. The dealer wanted $550 to add it. Has anyone bought the OEM parts and installed it themselves? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:01 PM
jdule
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XM / Sirius

I have a 2018 Cooper S and had the same issue. I know some folks have done all the work themselves but I was not comfortable doing that. Bimmer Tech (info@bimmer-tech.net) in Orlando sent me the needed cable and instructions to set up my laptop for their tech to remote into it and make the needed changes. The cost was $299.00 and they did a great and fast job. I suppose you are taking some risk in giving administrative access into your laptop to a stranger. I happen to have an old laptop with no personal info or links on it so I was not concerned.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
sdupp (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a somewhat less elegant but much less expensive option. Even though my head unit is set for and receives XM signal when they run free promos, I bought and installed an XM Onyx that I bought from XM that came with a car dock and a boom box for my office. Car install requires running the antenna cable thru the firewall and placing the magnetic end on the hood, power is from the cig lighter. Plays through an open FM station you a select. At the office I have a more or less south facing window so reception is good and the boom box has surprisingly good sound. It suits my needs and I only pay one radio subscription. Trade off is fidelity in the car is far from ideal but not terrible.

sdupp (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 03:36 AM
sdupp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jdule
I have a 2018 Cooper S and had the same issue. I know some folks have done all the work themselves but I was not comfortable doing that. Bimmer Tech (info@bimmer-tech.net) in Orlando sent me the needed cable and instructions to set up my laptop for their tech to remote into it and make the needed changes. The cost was $299.00 and they did a great and fast job. I suppose you are taking some risk in giving administrative access into your laptop to a stranger. I happen to have an old laptop with no personal info or links on it so I was not concerned.

Good luck!
Thank you for this info. I had know idea it could be programed into my car. Was thinking I had to add a module or something. One question did you have to install XM Antenna?

Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 AM
jdule
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XM / Sirius

My understanding (and it was true with my Mini) is that everything is already in/on the car including the XM antenna - you just need the programming done and then you contact Sirius to activate your free 1 year subscription (assuming one came with your car as mine did). The Bimmer-Tech tech will show you where to find the info Sirius needs.

Hope that helps.

PS if you look in the forum about Navigation / Audio you will find more info.

sdupp (04-23-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jdule
My understanding (and it was true with my Mini) is that everything is already in/on the car including the XM antenna - you just need the programming done and then you contact Sirius to activate your free 1 year subscription (assuming one came with your car as mine did). The Bimmer-Tech tech will show you where to find the info Sirius needs.

Hope that helps.

PS if you look in the forum about Navigation / Audio you will find more info.
Not all cars are SiriusXM ready. Best bet is to run the VIN at a place like myMINIvin.com and look for something like "preparation for BMW satellite radio".

Old 04-24-2018, 04:06 PM
sdupp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by StephenM
Not all cars are SiriusXM ready. Best bet is to run the VIN at a place like myMINIvin.com and look for something like "preparation for BMW satellite radio".
Thank you for the info and MINIvin link. I checked and the satellite prep package is listed. I kinda new already my salesman said it was, But nothing like seeing it for myself.

Appreciate the link!!

Old 04-25-2018, 05:19 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenM
I believe MINI has had satellite radio prep standard since at least 2012. Hardware is all there - just need a code from Sirius and to have it programmed.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 AM
sdupp
2nd Gear
Follow up

In our case Bimmer Tech was able to send us a link via email to download on a flash drive. Installed as directed and bada bing bada boom we now have Sirius XM. Free trial for one year and also free streaming to the phone for a year. The wife loves it and we highly recommend it if you like Sirius and your car didn’t come with it.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Fbfisher
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sdupp
In our case Bimmer Tech was able to send us a link via email to download on a flash drive. Installed as directed and bada bing bada boom we now have Sirius XM. Free trial for one year and also free streaming to the phone for a year. The wife loves it and we highly recommend it if you like Sirius and your car didn’t come with it.
Care to share the link and instructions? I’m dealing with this now, posted in the 3rd gen F56 talk forum.

Cheers!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 AM
sdupp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fbfisher
Care to share the link and instructions? I’m dealing with this now, posted in the 3rd gen F56 talk forum.
Cheers!
BimmerTech Give them your Vin# and they will do the rest.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/mini

Old 09-01-2019, 10:19 AM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sdupp
BimmerTech Give them your Vin# and they will do the rest.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/mini
I have a 2016 Mini Cooper S. Sirius has activated my account and verified my car has the service. PROBLEM ... in center display for 'radio' it does NOT show HD listed as a band until I push the control **** below to the right, scroll down and see that it is checked. I am pretty computer literate but this center console display is a PIA to me. I've owned the car only since Friday. I have called Sirius and they sent me another link to update the radio signal.

I see NO WHERE I can click the number 2 or 184 to hear if I have reception on my radio. I've done this before on other cars with no problem. Took less than a minute ... not today. I am just on this side or being irate.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 AM
creep
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CosmicBlue15
I have a 2016 Mini Cooper S. Sirius has activated my account and verified my car has the service. PROBLEM ... in center display for 'radio' it does NOT show HD listed as a band until I push the control **** below to the right, scroll down and see that it is checked. I am pretty computer literate but this center console display is a PIA to me. I've owned the car only since Friday. I have called Sirius and they sent me another link to update the radio signal.

I see NO WHERE I can click the number 2 or 184 to hear if I have reception on my radio. I've done this before on other cars with no problem. Took less than a minute ... not today. I am just on this side or being irate.

Any help is appreciated.
I no longer have an R60, but I think you have to go into settings and turn on the HD option to always have HD enabled.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:08 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I no longer own an R60 either so I posted this on the wrong forum. I doubt if the process is any different between 2106 model numbers. After seeing your post I went out to the car to double check 'settings' and there wasn't HD option to check BUT there is that option under FM on the "Radio" setting. I was wrong when I said HD was for satellite radio. Anyway, nowhere in "Radio" option is satellite radio an option to enable.

I did add my phone to bluetooth ... so I am not as stupid as I think I am today. LOL