F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Confused on BimmerCode and my F60 Tail Lights

Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Confused on BimmerCode and my F60 Tail Lights

Ok, I'm as confused as all get out. I installed LED (canbus) lights from superbrightleds.com for my F60 tail lights and set my coding with the BimmerCode App to show LED and shut off the checks for all the lights. I checked all the lights to make sure they work and they do. Brighter than the light weight halogen bulbs. Reinstalled the light brackets. Checked for proper function and they worked perfect.

But soon after, when I checked the dash, it says the left brake light is out. Checked and they are fine. I even pulled the light unit out and all lights checked fine.

Then the dash said the right side is out. Checked the same and they are all fine. Checked the dash again and it was the left light out again.

Seems to rotate but still shows lights on one or the other side is out ... but function as they should.

Any ideas to correct this ?

Last edited by AnOldBiker; 03-12-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:02 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
Ok, I'm as confused as all get out. I installed LED (canbus) lights from superbrightleds.com for my F60 tail lights and set my coding with the BimmerCode App to show LED and shut off the checks for all the lights. I checked all the lights to make sure they work and they do. Brighter than the light weight halogen bulbs. Reinstalled the light brackets. Checked for proper function and they worked perfect.

But soon after, when I checked the dash, it says the left brake light is out. Checked and they are fine. I even pulled the light unit out and all lights checked fine.

Then the dash said the right side is out. Checked the same and they are all fine. Checked the dash again and it was the left light out again.

Seems to rotate but still shows lights on one or the other side is out ... but function as they should.

Any ideas to correct this ?

I only swapped out my reverse lights, but haven't had any issues. Did you change the brake and/or turn signal bulbs too?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 AM
AnOldBiker
Yes, I changed out all 8 lights. Nothing with the reverse lights, they appear fine. But the problem is with the brake lights.

The ones I put in were the LED equlivant to the original lights, only red in color to make it more intense. And as stated, with the bulb holder in or out of the housing, they work great and bright. Just the notification on the dash.

I went as far as putting the bimmercode settings back to bulb and activate the sensors. The took off one at a time to see if I had to code it this way ... nothing changed.

Did this with my front lights, changed settings all at once and no problem. I'm sort of confused.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Warm and cold checks off I assume?
Defective LED's?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:36 AM
AnOldBiker
Warm and cold checks are off.
If the LED's are defective, I don't know, due to each working as they should everytime I activate the light. (ie: step on the brake, use the turn signal and such)

Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Maybe that coding doesn't work on the F60 yet with bimmercode? Just tossing out idea's.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM
AnOldBiker
Well the BimmerCode works on the F60 since I changed out all the front lights to LED's and haven't had a problem. But now I have a bigger problem. Seems my fat hands broke a locking part inside and now I have to buy a new right tail light housing before I go further. Tried to fix but couldn't.

What I didn't understand was what seemed like a rotation of the the problem. Not gonna worry about it until I get the new light and see if it happens again. Never had this issue before, eveything went without a hitch. Gonna be an expensive fix I guess.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:12 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Keep us posted. I'd like to swap out to LED's too but not if it's going to be a PITA.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 AM
AnOldBiker
For the halogen conversion to the LED headlights, Daytime Running lights and Parking lights on the front was very easy. Just make sure you use the BimmerCode App and set for LED instead of bulb and turn off the cold and warm checks. That was the easy part.

My problem is in the tail lights. I'm not sure what is happening. Also having large hands don't help much since the hole they give you to get the bulb holder out is for a small person to work with. If doing this, please use caution. I found out late yesterday the driver side rear tail light unit is only available threw Mini and is $210.00 with a 3 day wait for it to be shipped in. Did not have any warnings with the back up lights, just the warning of the stop light. There was no flashing, lights worked as they should, bright in brilliance, just the dash warning. That has me confused. Also, I did check they were CanBus so that isn't the issue. Will beable to do more Friday when the part coes in.

I will say I am very very very happy with the front lighting. Now just the back.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:18 PM
AnOldBiker
Well here's what I found out. The bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com are:

Red: 130 Ma
White: 230 Ma

But the problem:
1. All are CanBus.
2. The whites draw enough to satisfy the computer with the BimmerCode adjustments.
3. The Red is still to low of a draw that it sends the notice of bulb is out.

So I need to figure out if I put in all White LED's, the red lens might be a pale red or towards a pink. Or go back to bulbs. Sent in for some more whites (only $9.?? each) to see what will happen to the color ... and decide what I will accept.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:48 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well here's what I found out. The bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com are:

Red: 130 Ma
White: 230 Ma

But the problem:
1. All are CanBus.
2. The whites draw enough to satisfy the computer with the BimmerCode adjustments.
3. The Red is still to low of a draw that it sends the notice of bulb is out.

So I need to figure out if I put in all White LED's, the red lens might be a pale red or towards a pink. Or go back to bulbs. Sent in for some more whites (only $9.?? each) to see what will happen to the color ... and decide what I will accept.
Find a higher-output red LED, that draws more, or put an in-line resistor and switch code back to "bulb" ??

Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 PM
AnOldBiker
I know of using the in-line resistors, but I'm staying away from all that mess. Trying to keep it clean looking. So far I have done everything with what I bought and the BimmerCode App. Just hard finding the right Ma's in red. .

Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM
AnOldBiker
Well with the red LED's (130Ma) and the white LED's (230Ma), both worked properly .. and still got the warnings on the dash.

So the bulbs are back in and I guess to BimmerCode App asking them what might be the issue or what correction I can take, outside of in-line resistors.

Maybe more to come .. unless someone has an answer for this.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 PM
AnOldBiker
Well this was their answer:

Hi Jim,
you may be able to fix this with the app using expert mode, but I do not know the exact coding values required in this case honestly.

Schöne Grüße / Kind regards
Stephan Gauch

BimmerCode App
Stephan Gauch

So, your guess is better then mine ....

Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Mini03Tiger84
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Jim,
I found this rolled MINI F60 the other day looking an upgrade to the rear-view mirror.
Thy may still have the rear light assembly that would be much cheaper than dealer.

Auto salvage site - http://mandmautosalvage.com/newarrivals.htm

Photos of F60
https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/ima...ck%23%20170857

Old 04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
AnOldBiker
146 miles on the clock, that poor owner must be depressed (if not drunk) right now.

To late, bought the tail light assembly and it was just over $200. But this would have been a $$$ saver if it was a bit earlier .. Thanks.

Still trying to figure how to get the LED's in the back. But going to do a cross country trip in my Mini soon, so it this change will have to wait for now.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:37 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
146 miles on the clock, that poor owner must be depressed (if not drunk) right now.
I know this is off topic, but your comment got me curious, so I tested my online searching... turns out the car had been purchased by IIHS for destructive testing, and shows up on a list of vehicles headed for salvage following that testing. From the looks of the photos on the salvage site, it appears IIHS may have T-boned it on purpose.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/faq/salvaged-vins

The following users liked this post:
Mini03Tiger84 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 18cmjcw
I know this is off topic, but your comment got me curious, so I tested my online searching... turns out the car had been purchased by IIHS for destructive testing, and shows up on a list of vehicles headed for salvage following that testing. From the looks of the photos on the salvage site, it appears IIHS may have T-boned it on purpose.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/faq/salvaged-vins
All the salvage vehicles in that list have just hundreds of miles on them.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Still trying to figure how to get the LED's in the back.
Perhaps BMW is in the same boat on this F60 upgrade. I was disappointed they cut costs in the lighting department on the 2018's, but I'm not going to let a few bulbs get in the way of enjoying the ride!