F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Side turn signal 'scuttles' - why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Side turn signal 'scuttles' - why?

I understand that they give the plug-in guys a place to plug their plug, but I really hate the side turn signal scuttles on the F60. Really.

A little Photoshop work today and I'm convinced more than ever that mine need to go. Wonder what it would cost to get a quality shop/restorer to fill those holes in, finish and paint...

Old 02-16-2018, 04:11 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Agreed! The body is cleaner and less distracting. Which reminds me; I need to remove my stripes and emblems. Not a fan of the extra branding/labeling "flare."

Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
I've never liked them but don't see an advantage to remove them with the cost involved.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:29 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't think it makes that big a difference with or without especially given the plastic surgery involved in cleanly and properly removing them. You'd have to bondo and paint the hole etc. Painting would involve fading into adjacent body panels... big job to do right.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
They are a legal requirement in the UK. Not sure about USA. Probably law in many European countries too.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Side repeaters (side turn signals) are not a requirement in the USA.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 PM
awit
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my factory fitted bonnet stripes removed from my F60. They have left a horrible indent in the paint that runs the full length of the bonnet in the place where the stripes were. They have been fitted when the paint was still soft. Really NOT impressed. I can either go back to MINI and force them to respray the bonnet but then run the risk of paint runs and not having original paint, put the stripes back - either way you dice it its not good enough!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by awit
I had my factory fitted bonnet stripes removed from my F60. They have left a horrible indent in the paint that runs the full length of the bonnet in the place where the stripes were. They have been fitted when the paint was still soft. Really NOT impressed. I can either go back to MINI and force them to respray the bonnet but then run the risk of paint runs and not having original paint, put the stripes back - either way you dice it its not good enough!
After I had a parking lot hit-and-run, I had some body work done. They had to remove the bonnet stripes and I told them to leave them off. They buffed out the area where the stripes were to blend with the rest of the hood and it looks like the stripes were never there. A reputable body shop should be able to do the same thing. If Mini was stupid enough to apply the stripes before the paint was cured, which I doubt (but maybe possible?), you're probably looking at a clear coat issue - which can be buffed out, and at worst more clear coat sprayed on top then buffed out...

Who removed your stripes, and how did they remove them? Perhaps they used strong chemicals that were left there too long and that is what ate away your clear coat?

Old 03-10-2018, 01:35 PM
awit
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f60jcw
After I had a parking lot hit-and-run, I had some body work done. They had to remove the bonnet stripes and I told them to leave them off. They buffed out the area where the stripes were to blend with the rest of the hood and it looks like the stripes were never there. A reputable body shop should be able to do the same thing. If Mini was stupid enough to apply the stripes before the paint was cured, which I doubt (but maybe possible?), you're probably looking at a clear coat issue - which can be buffed out, and at worst more clear coat sprayed on top then buffed out...

Who removed your stripes, and how did they remove them? Perhaps they used strong chemicals that were left there too long and that is what ate away your clear coat?
They were removed by my detailer who performed a major paint correction before applying a ceramic coating. It has already had a good 'buffering' and currently it is in the best state he could get it without doing more damage. I've decided to just put the stripes back on and pretend it never happened... which is rubbish as I like the appearance of the car without them.

My detailer has seen a few other really nasty paint issues on new MINIs, this would suggest that maybe things are a bit slack in the paint shop in the factory.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
We like our scuttles w/repeater but they could use a good dose of downsizing. It irritates me more that the fuel door is ginormous to accommodate the EV plug, and the fuel fill has a cap (it should be capless).

Attached Thumbnails Side turn signal 'scuttles' - why?-jbcc-c-25mar18.jpg  
Old 03-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
word of the day

Mr Funk wins. I hadn't heard the word 'bondo' in years

I took a drink of Jim Beam black label ( Might do that every time I see it on here) (Used in a sentence.)

I worked with a lot of bondo back in the eighties working on my old Pinto and my friends cars. LOL

'bondo' I might try to work in bondo in a sentence at work today.
Maybe 'Pollyanna' too.

as For the scuttles, they should be cold air intakes, like on a QX-56.
or put a four leaf clover on them. ( or has that already been done)?

have a good one !