F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 maintenance schedule and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
macarius
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maintenance schedule and brakes

i recently purchased a new 2018 Countryman SE, and i'm trying to decide if i should purchase the extended maintenance plan. i was told by my MA that the brakes will typically need to be replaced every 25K miles, and because of this, the extended maintenance plans will save significant money. i've been trying to find information on the maintenance schedule, and can only find info on oil changes and spark plugs. i realize that the brakes may vary from driver to driver, but i've never had a car where i've needed to change the brakes at 25K miles or anything close to that. This is my first MINI so perhaps this is normal for MINIs. Can anyone tell me if 25K is a reasonable estimate on the lifespan of the brakes in a Countryman? Thanks.

Robert

Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Probably get more life out of the brakes depending on how you drive. It's a sad way to sell an overpriced extended maintenance agreement. Those are usually not a good value IMO. They compute them showing you MINIs overpriced brake jobs. Most people buy them for simplicity sake instead of value.

"significant money" ? Ha, what is the amount they claim?

Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
I like to subscribe to this. They tried to sell me the extended warrantee, but didn't mentioned this trash. If they only get 25k out of the breaks, I'd like to know so I can change out everything to quality products. @ 25k, their should be starting to show wear. My old truck gets it's brakes changed at 100k because it's easy to remember to do them then. And they have material left.

Oh, and I just noticed ... Welcome to the forum

Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM
macarius
Neutral
Thanks for the welcome and quick replies. The dealership told me that front and rear brakes cost $1300. I can pay $600 and that would include brakes and wiper blades for the first 3 years/30K miles. A 7 year/125K plan costs $3299. They said buying the plans (they offered, 4 yr, 5yr and 6 yr plans) would save 30% on average. Oil changes cost $80. Still seemed pretty expensive to me, but I wasn't sure how long the brakes would last. My previous cars had brakes that would last 60 - 80K, so 25K seemed extremely short. Sounds like the extended maintenance is not a good deal, and that maybe I should find someplace else to service the car after 3 years.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2 cents

Originally Posted by macarius
Thanks for the welcome and quick replies. The dealership told me that front and rear brakes cost $1300. I can pay $600 and that would include brakes and wiper blades for the first 3 years/30K miles. A 7 year/125K plan costs $3299. They said buying the plans (they offered, 4 yr, 5yr and 6 yr plans) would save 30% on average. Oil changes cost $80. Still seemed pretty expensive to me, but I wasn't sure how long the brakes would last. My previous cars had brakes that would last 60 - 80K, so 25K seemed extremely short. Sounds like the extended maintenance is not a good deal, and that maybe I should find someplace else to service the car after 3 years.
A warranty for 7 year/125k 3300 inst to bad if it covers all things MINI engine drive train etc if its just for brakes, that a pass for sure.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Brakes duration all depend on style of driving and conditions. If you are a highway warrior you may get 5x the life someone racing from light to light in the city. Brakes are also not that expensive especially in the aftermarket (typically there are excellent if not better aftermarket options). Also - if you're driving only about 5k per year (like us) then brakes could last 7 years+! We didn't do the maintenance plan. I felt the standard coverage was already very good.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectMini
A warranty for 7 year/125k 3300 inst to bad if it covers all things MINI engine drive train etc if its just for brakes, that a pass for sure.
Maintenance Plus and Extended Warranty are two different things. OP is debating the Maintenance Plus program (adds brakes, wiper blades, belts and MT clutch, I believe.)

I added it to mine since I drive like an 18-year old late for a date with a **** star, and most of my driving is local red light to red light.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
hahaha

Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by macarius
The dealership told me that front and rear brakes cost $1300.
I replaced pads and discs at 68K with EBC Red Stuff and they're going good 60+K since, for a heck of a lot less that that. They're blowing smoke. Have them take care of scheduled service while it's in warranty then ditch the dealership for a reliable independent.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM
macarius
Neutral
Yes, I meant the maintenance (brakes, fluids, oil change and wipers) not the extended warranty coverage on engine, etc. Based on what I'm hearing, I think I'm going to skip the maintenance and find a good independent shop that works on German imports. This is my first imported car, so was just wondering if brakes wear more often and if maintenance work is best done at a dealer. Still trying to figure out where I can find a complete schedule of maintenance for the SE. Thanks for all the advice.

The following users liked this post:
Angry Yoda (09-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Definitions: Dealerships throw new parts at a problem hoping that fixes it.
Independents analyze problems and find solutions, sometimes not even requiring parts.
The best way to identify a reliable indie is thru a local MINI or BMW club.
Another starting point is here: https://www.minirepairshops.com/
Brake wear is totally dependent on the driver as is the clutch and TO bearing.
The following is the service schedule I try to maintain. Some may disagree but our li'l guy performs as it did when we got it 11 years ago.

Oil change every 5K
Rotate tires every 5K
Brake Fluid every 20K
Coolant every 30K
PCV vent valve every 30K
PS Fluid flush every 30K
Fuel filter Change every 50K
Plugs every 40K
Serpentine belt every 40K
BG-44K every 6 mo.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:07 AM
Salvese D.O.C.
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Everyone,

is there an official schedule maintenance for the F60.

Thanks
Valerio