F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Question on seating height

Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Question on seating height

Currently driving an 2015 MCS F56 and a BMW M240i. I've developed some serious back issues since buying both and have some problems entering and exiting both cars. Seating is low in both cars w/ the BMW being the harder of the two car to enter and exit.

I'm going to be trading the 2015 MCS in on a new Mini and was thinking of going w/ the Countryman S hoping to gain a bit more seat height allowing for easier entry and exit from the car. I really do not want to go w/ a full sized SUV. I could go w/ an X1 or X2, but I like the MINI for it's appearance and price compared to the Bimmers.

Can anyone comment on this. Anyone go from the F55/56 to the Countryman? Entry and Egress ease comparison?

One last thing - it appears one can opt out the the Sunroof when configuring the Countryman. Is that true?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I personally feel that it's still low to get in and out of, but I'm also 6'1. I think smaller people get in and out much easier (without having to duck their head and bend their knees) With that being said, it is a lot higher than an F56 tho. I recommend just finding an F60 at your local dealer and seeing for yourself.

I wish I didn't have a sunroof, but didn't see anywhere to opt out when building online.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 AM
flybigjet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the vehicle configurator for the F60 (at least the S and JCW), under "Exterior Details", click on the black "Added" button next to "Panoramic Sunroof". That will delete it as an option. There is no price change with or without the sunroof.

R.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Only have experience with the R60 vs F55/56 and it is a bit easier. Being in Florida offers you an easier solution, Convertible will make getting in/out much easier.

I've had those serious back issues on and off. Pretty much feeling a lot better now so the F56 is simple to get in and out of.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I have had an F60 as a loaner vehicle a couple of times. It is easier to get in and out of the F60 compared to the F56. We also have an R60 which sits approximately 3-4 inches higher that my F56. I am fairly tall for an asian. I am 6' and love my sunroofs. I also had the F57 but found it impractical here in the Midwest.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:16 PM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flybigjet
On the vehicle configurator for the F60 (at least the S and JCW), under "Exterior Details", click on the black "Added" button next to "Panoramic Sunroof". That will delete it as an option. There is no price change with or without the sunroof.

R.
Yep, this. We opted to have no sunroof on our '18 S All4 and don't miss it at all!

I recently drove a '17 Countryman when our '12 was in the shop and noticed that even with the shade drawn on the sunroof, the chrome from the climate controls were a little blinding (we don't have that issue on our '18 at all)... Even so, I really wish there was a *no chrome* option... Both inside and out...

Old 01-16-2018, 04:00 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Thanks fellas. Appreciate the info. 6'1" @ 185lbs. I'd have never guessed the M240i is tougher to get into and out of then a F56 Mini Cooper. Next time I'm around my dealer, I'll pop in and sit in a Countryman. If it's 4 or 5 inches taller than the F56, it will a big improvement.

Definitely will do a moon/sun-roof delete if the Countryman fits otherwise. Looking at ordering a British Racing Green w/ white bonnet stripes and the diamond stitched British oak interior. Will also add a Dinan tune.

Will wait for the 2019 models if March/April orders become available.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
If I'm paying for a sunroof I'm not gonna delete it unless they knock it off the price. Better for resale too. I would just use ZippeeShades like I did in my R56. Then you would be able to open the sunroof on the two cool evenings you have every year.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
If I'm paying for a sunroof I'm not gonna delete it unless they knock it off the price. Better for resale too. I would just use ZippeeShades like I did in my R56. Then you would be able to open the sunroof on the two cool evenings you have every year.
I deleted it from my M240i when I ordered it. Eliminated approx 90 lbs of weight from one of the worst spots to carry weight on a car (high center of gravity). Of course one could always add springs to lower the car.

Additionally it can develop leaks or fail mechanically and is expensive to fix. As a side benefit, it does wonders of aerodynamics when open.

Thankfully (unlike a doctor's visit) there is no charge for removing that "wart".

About the only practical use of a sunroof is to monitor law enforcement helicopters tracking you.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I deleted it from my M240i when I ordered it. Eliminated approx 90 lbs of weight from one of the worst spots to carry weight on a car (high center of gravity). Of course one could always add springs to lower the car.

Additionally it can develop leaks or fail mechanically and is expensive to fix. As a side benefit, it does wonders of aerodynamics when open.

Thankfully (unlike a doctor's visit) there is no charge for removing that "wart".

About the only practical use of a sunroof is to monitor law enforcement helicopters tracking you.
I switched from an F56 to F60. I wouldn’t wanna go back. Much easier to gen in and out of and much much roomier. Also the high view on the road is nicer if you ask me. No body roll also. Great car.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miniminic
I switched from an F56 to F60. I wouldn’t wanna go back. Much easier to gen in and out of and much much roomier. Also the high view on the road is nicer if you ask me. No body roll also. Great car.
Thanks for weighing in Miniminic. The more I look at the Countryman, the more I like it.

FWIW, I optioned out a comparable X1 ($4K more) and X2-Xdrive ($7K more) from BMW (and I do love "Bimmers"), Countryman comes in w/ more options for thousand$ less (and they are essentially the same vehicles). Only obvious diff is the engine HP outputs. X1/X2 put out JCW numbers. A $900 Dinan tune will erase that.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:55 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
It's very easy to get in and out of. I find the seats to be high though - as if you are sitting "on" the car vs. "in" the car. I wish they went lower.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET

This. We have the sunroof on our 2012 and in the last 3 years, I don't think I have opened it once. I'd rather have no sunroof and not worry about future leaks...

If we were back in CA (where we bought the 2012), I probably would have kept the sunroof (I actually used it there to air out the car after work)...

And I don't care about resale value, I want to enjoy the car *I* want to drive... Not worry about what someone else will want 10 years from now to get me that extra $200 on the sale...

As for the height of the seats, for me, it's really easy to get in and out (6 foot)... And I have the seats as far down as they can go. When I drove the 2017 a few weeks ago, they had they seat up probably *normal* height and I felt like I was in a captains chair! LOL! I ratcheted that thing down super quick!

The *only* thing I don't like is that the seat belts aren't moveable (up and down), so the belt hits my wife weird (digs into her neck a little)... We had to get one of those belt clips to change the angle a little...

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
I had an original clubby and now two CM's. At 6'2" both are easier than the low clubbie. For some reason the F60 seems easier than the R60 but I think it made the seat just auto adjusting to my setting and not trying to get in low and forward where it is left sometimes.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 AM
Tiddjc@gmail.com
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW vs. Countryman seat height

I went from a 4 series BMW to a countryman. The Countryman is much easier to get into as the seat height is significantly higher.