F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Cold Air Intake installed today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Wink Cold Air Intake installed today...

So I ordered the Craven Cold Air Intake and installed it today. I know I was taking a chance since it's not made for the F60 but with a little tweaking and cutting I got it to fit. A fuel line (at least it looks like one) was in the way so I just notched the box a little so it wouldn't rub. The top mounting bolt is also a little further back on the F60 compared to the other Gen3's and the strut tower brace can get in the way a little. I shouldn't have to push back that hard, but if I put my weight into it the hole aligned up and was usable. All in all it looks great, as for fit your going to have to alter it a bit, but lastly, the sound is killer. You can really hear the Turbo spool up now. Forgot to take a final install pic, I'll post that one up tomorrow.

Fuel line in the way

Notched the box

Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Nice! In for final pic as well as sound clips!
I'm all about some improved induction/turbo sound for these - out of the box that fake engine sound they pump in is horrible (I wish I could unplug it)...

As for the intake - given it's open box I'm a bit skeptical of it truly drawing in more cold air vs the OEM box.

Last edited by MrFunk; 12-11-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Here is a final pic for you... trying to do a sound clip but finding the time is seeming to be impossible this time of the year.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Is this actually a CAI? It looks like it will pull air straight from the engine bay. Maybe it is the angle of the pictures...

Can't the fake sound be coded out? In my other vehicle, the fake sound can be removed.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM
punkgeek
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwanck11
Is this actually a CAI? It looks like it will pull air straight from the engine bay. Maybe it is the angle of the pictures....
Perhaps I'm not understanding - but wouldn't this lose the ram air effect of the stock intake? (i.e. a net loss of power)

Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Perhaps at speed it would get enough RAM to pull outside air but from a DIG it looks to me like it would bog sucking hot engine air, especially in hot weather... I'm also sure most people do this for sound vs performance??

Thanks for posting the pics! I must say I'm not too stoked about the final look. Looks incomplete with the OEM RAM piping...
What's your butt dyno say?

All that being said - I'd love to code out that fake noise.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Nice work! If there are any others out there thinking about doing this, we've gone ahead and released an open source license for this intake, including CAD drawings and blueprints on our site: https://www.cravenspeed.com/cold-air...r-gen-3-minis/

Bluonyx, perhaps you could roughly sketch out the modifications on one of the drawings.

As for the open box design, the idea is that the hood sort of becomes the top of the box when you shut it. All intakes on the market are going to be affected by heat soak. Most of our customers have reported the noise to be the most desirable feature.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:03 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Not all intakes will be affected by heat soak.
If they utilize the OEM air box (which on many modern vehicles are now quite well designed to draw on outside air) but use an improved higher flow filter and higher flow tubing then you have a best of both. People want improved sound though and to achieve that you need an open concept. I've seen some open concepts that literally seal against the hood (like on my S2000) but those filters are usually placed at the front of the engine bay and fed by a scoop off the bumper etc... Unfortunately the filter on the CM is placed in the center of the bay. Improving the OEM Box or utilizing it seems to me to be a better design with an improved filter and ducting. I'm no expert though nor have I ever designed an intake so take that with a grain of salt and pepper! LOL