F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Front license plate mounting options

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Front license plate mounting options

If you live in a state requires a front license plate, what are the options for mounting the front license plate without drilling in the bumper?

Has anyone tried the tow hook style license plate frames? I’m worried they might interfere with the parking sensors.

I feel like I remember somebody in this forum posted an option while back but I couldn’t find it.

thanks!

Old 11-17-2017, 03:54 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Your only option is going to be tow hook (looks goofy IMO) or the under bumper style mounting brackets. I don't remember anyone posting options here yet.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFunk
(looks goofy IMO)
Agree. I tried going plate-less with my first MINI a while back... I made it for almost a year until one day I got the slip on the windshield.

I'd love to hear of solutions to find a way to have the plate in the middle with no holes...but don't think there is any unfortunately

Old 11-17-2017, 04:22 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I haven't run a front plate on either my S4 or S2000 for years. I don't care if I get ticket when I park if it's one ticket every 4 years LOL... I don't park on the street a ton anyways.
I had the tow hook plate holder on the S4 for a year and couldn't do it... just gave the car an off balance look off to one side. Not a lot of good options if you want to run a plate - might as well drill the bumper and center it if you're gonna run a plate IMO.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
We have the Platypus on both our R60 and F60. They have worked great.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...plate-mount-1/

The following users liked this post:
janinefm (02-23-2018)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:47 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
3m double stick tape works great too. Used to have a europlate on my R53 using 3m tape. It's a pain to get the plate off after though. I recommend buying adhesive remover.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
I have a nice aluminum one from US Mill Works I didn't get to install. Bastards at the dealership drilled and mounted a normal plate holder against my request. They had six weeks notice too.

I'll probably post it up for sale if someone is interested.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snurfer
If you live in a state requires a front license plate, what are the options for mounting the front license plate without drilling in the bumper?

Has anyone tried the tow hook style license plate frames? I’m worried they might interfere with the parking sensors.

I feel like I remember somebody in this forum posted an option while back but I couldn’t find it.

thanks!
Ask the dealer? My state requires it and the dealer had the front mounting plate already installed for me when I picked up the car. Maybe the dealer will do it for you since the state requires it.

EDIT: I just read your OP again and noticed "without drilling in the bumper"....my guess is the dealer drilled into the bumper.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by f60jcw
I have a nice aluminum one from US Mill Works I didn't get to install. Bastards at the dealership drilled and mounted a normal plate holder against my request. They had six weeks notice too.
The dealer drilled mine also, ( I asked them not to) but they said to pass Virginia inspection it has to have front plate frame. I called BS just to argue. Virginia requires front plates. Its a second class offense, they don't pull you over for it but tack it on if you get pulled over for something else.
Annoyed. I am not running a front plate right now, even though the holes are there.
just as protest. I see a lot of other people doing the same.
I havn't decided on any plates yet, just running standard right now.
I like that idea of the plate holder using the tow hook access point.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
The dealer drilled mine also, ( I asked them not to) but they said to pass Virginia inspection it has to have front plate frame. I called BS just to argue. Virginia requires front plates. Its a second class offense, they don't pull you over for it but tack it on if you get pulled over for something else.
Annoyed. I am not running a front plate right now, even though the holes are there.
just as protest. I see a lot of other people doing the same.
I havn't decided on any plates yet, just running standard right now.
I like that idea of the plate holder using the tow hook access point.
Eek! I texted my MA today and told him the deal. He said they add them at the dealership so I will be reminding him every day before and after it arrives telling him not to install a front license plate! Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Eek! I texted my MA today and told him the deal. He said they add them at the dealership so I will be reminding him every day before and after it arrives telling him not to install a front license plate! Thanks for sharing your story.
On my Bimmer.Work VIN Production print out it shows code 992 = Number Plate Attachment Management. When I went to the dealership as soon as it arrived the mounting plates on the front and back where attached. My dealer did not drill/mount them.

According to the Bimmer.work production sheet, I assume this was done at the factory?!

Old 11-22-2017, 05:58 AM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Islandbluemini
On my Bimmer.Work VIN Production print out it shows code 992 = Number Plate Attachment Management. When I went to the dealership as soon as it arrived the mounting plates on the front and back where attached. My dealer did not drill/mount them.

According to the Bimmer.work production sheet, I assume this was done at the factory?!
i think mine is showing the same thing. I’m going to hold off buying an alternative mount until it arrives.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:31 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Thank god I live in PA.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i think mine is showing the same thing. I’m going to hold off buying an alternative mount until it arrives.
I took a few quick photos when it arrived on the lot and all the protective shipping wrap was still on the car and dealer did not touch it other than to park it. I have posted a photo of the front bumper but the lighting wasn't great and you can barely make out the plate mount on the front. The back bumper mount is clearly visible. Could also have been done at the VDC to meet required inspections? Regardless, my dealer did not install these plate mounts.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by f60jcw

Hey! Still have that License plate mount up for grabs? Looks like my dealer heeded my request not to drill the front bumper.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 PM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
I sure do. I paid around $140 for it...how about $100.00 shipped?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
PM sent.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 AM
MLC-Mobile
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine didn't come installed - but it was in the boot. Lol!
I ran plateless on my other Mini until my son started driving. They won't ticket a middle-aged mom but you bet they'll ticket a 16 year old here. I'll install it myself as soon as it gets above freezing here (I self-installed the other one - you don't even have to drill it, just use the right screws.)

Old 01-21-2018, 10:31 AM
ChubbyMini
3rd Gear
Ughhhh they screwed mine in as it was an "in stock" vehicle & CT requires front plates - my previous 2 CM's I used this for the front plate it worked really well & I was able to get the no plate look at times by hiding it under the front bumper -
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-01-2018, 06:14 PM
JCWRS
Neutral
Hey all, has anyone installed a tow hook-mounted front license plate bracket on a car with front parking sensors? GMG Motorsports sells a bracket for the F60 Countryman, but advises against installing it on cars with the front parking sensors.

We're picking up our new '18 F60 next weekend. We instructed the dealer to not install the front license plate bracket so hopefully the front bumper will remain unblemished. I've installed a GMG Motorsports front license plate bracket on my other car and it is very high quality. Would love to use one on our new MINI, but it's a $100 gamble if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCWRS
Hey all, has anyone installed a tow hook-mounted front license plate bracket on a car with front parking sensors? GMG Motorsports sells a bracket for the F60 Countryman, but advises against installing it on cars with the front parking sensors.

We're picking up our new '18 F60 next weekend. We instructed the dealer to not install the front license plate bracket so hopefully the front bumper will remain unblemished. I've installed a GMG Motorsports front license plate bracket on my other car and it is very high quality. Would love to use one on our new MINI, but it's a $100 gamble if it doesn't work out.
I have a tow hook license plate bracket ready to be installed on my F60 w/ parking sensors. I can't recall the brand, but I will try and take some photos and report back with my findings. I just noticed that the sensors are pretty close to the tow hook location!

Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 PM
JCWRS
Neutral
I have a tow hook license plate bracket ready to be installed on my F60 w/ parking sensors. I can't recall the brand, but I will try and take some photos and report back with my findings. I just noticed that the sensors are pretty close to the tow hook location!
Yes, the very front PDC sensors are hidden quite well in plain sight. Looks like they're ~8" away from the tow hook location.

Any chance you've installed the tow hook license plate bracket and seen how well it played with the parking sensors?

CravenSpeed was looking for an F60 owner with the parking sensors to get some measurements, so I've been emailing one of their product designers. As soon as we pick up the car this upcoming weekend, I'll start taking measurements and sending pictures. Hopefully they can put something together off the shelf that will work. More to follow.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Cravenspeed sent me a little extension for my F60 with parking sensors and that let me shift the plate over a little and up a little and that cleared any issues.

Now with moving to PA we won’t need a front plate but the bride said she is going to put her cast aluminum Penn State plate on the F60. We will see how the little extension does with the heavy plate.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
JCWRS
Neutral
Nice. We just picked up our car and sent over some photos to Thom at CravenSpeed. Hopefully that'll be useful to them. They might just send over the same extension then we'll be in business.

Hate to punch holes in our front bumper.