F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Nav & Live Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Nav & Live Traffic

Do we need to do anything to enable live traffic in the Nav? Seems to never navigate around heavy traffic. My wife now doesn't use the nav system in the car anymore and uses her Phone because the system doesn't seem to know where there is traffic or accidents etc. Also entering in destinations is a royal PITA - it's like a 10 minute process LOL. Voice recognition doesn't work well at all either. Is that a "the more you use it the better it gets" type of thing?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
We have 2016 version, "the more you use it" the less you want to use it according to my wife. Her clients, when she takes them to see homes, are usually all done entering destination into the phone while she is just starting to input into Nav in MINI. When I drive her car I don't do anything but find an album to play or if she is in the car let her handle all that.

They have developed the perfect un-intuitive system in the world. Brilliant! lol

Old 11-03-2017, 09:56 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
HAHAH the more you use it the less you want to use it. LOL - I'd say my wife has the same thoughts.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:10 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFunk
HAHAH the more you use it the less you want to use it. LOL - I'd say my wife has the same thoughts.
Really?? it's that bad? I was hoping the MINI NAV / Connected would be the first one that I would use in place of my iPhone (usually WAZE).

So is it just a waste of money to upgrade to the NAV or worth it since you get the larger screen?

Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Well that is your choice. I'd get it because when reselling ppl will prefer a car with NAV. The larger screen is nice as well. I drive with the map open as it's nice to see upcoming streets or turns etc. I've personally not had much issue with the NAV but have only used it 2 times. My wife hates it though.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:39 AM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the nav system. I use Waze, Apple Maps and Google maps on my iPhone, and switch off depending on my need/mood. Sometimes all of these can drive you crazy with traffic reroutes - like going through a maze.

I have used Apple Car Play as well. Found it a bit buggy.

Now I pretty much just use the Mini nav system. I like that it displays on the HUD- that is important to me.

Mr.Funk, you point out that the Mini nav doesn’t do a good job with traffic rerouting. Now that you say that, I can only recall a few times it has rerouted me. I will pay more attention to that and run some parallel tests with the other nav systems to see the difference in traffic capability.

Bottom line for me: I am very glad I ordered my F60 with the nav system.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
This nav does great, dynamic re-routing around traffic situations -- when navigating.

What seems not so great is traffic monitoring when not actively navigating. The info seems to come late, if ever. That aspect seemed way better in my F56.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:09 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
This nav does great, dynamic re-routing around traffic situations -- when navigating.

What seems not so great is traffic monitoring when not actively navigating. The info seems to come late, if ever. That aspect seemed way better in my F56.
Hm - I'll make sure I have everything enabled that should be for dynamic traffic routing. My wife complained the nav had no idea about major construction projects and even a closed road. I guess nothing is perfect. I don't think any vehicle nav is going to be as good as Waze though.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Since I've owned vehicles with installed Nav systems, I've found they are cumbersome, needing updates at extra cost, slow or sometimes inaccurate. With every vehicle I own, I either switch my old Garmin to it or buy another and never have an issue. Updates are free, active traffic notifications, rerouting when needed and cost is low. My other vehicle has a manufactures Nav system and to update cost $200 and that is each year. Not usre how Mini does it, but will never know, my Garmin is in there and nothing else is needed. From what I've read, guess I will keep doing the same for a long time coming.