F60 Power Tailgate Possessed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:15 PM
MNCNTRYMN
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Power Tailgate Possessed

Hey, folks.

The power tailgate closes by itself after opening. Take a few seconds but I can have my upper body in there getting something and all of a sudden I hear the beeping indicating the tailgate is closing.

Anyone else seen this issue? Is there a service bulletin out for it?

Thx.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:01 PM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Where are your feet when this happens? I remember when I was test driving a CM and the MA was showing the rear cargo area, I stepped up to look at something. My sudden step up was like the necessary "kick" to close the door. Now that I'm aware of that, I make sure I don't do that.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Kowboycoop
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This happened to me yesterday. Was getting gas at Costco, finished the fill up and noticed my rear cargo tail gate is up. I thing I might of walked by it to close. kinda of embarrassing, so acted like i need something out of the back. LOL. .

The following users liked this post:
maxou723 (11-08-2020)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:32 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
I have had it happen when loading Groceries, I am pretty sure my feet tripped the kick sensor.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mind of its own ?

Originally Posted by Kowboycoop
This happened to me yesterday. Was getting gas at Costco, finished the fill up and noticed my rear cargo tail gate is up. I thing I might of walked by it to close. kinda of embarrassing, so acted like i need something out of the back. LOL. .
LOL Mine did the same. I was standing near the gas flap, and corner. I guess I moved to close and a foot went under the car. Luckily no one else was at the gas station where I frequent.
But thanks for the tip if it opens at Costco on me
we make sure there is nothing near the key Fobs when we're at home. Not even the cat, because I know its going to open in the rain !
Have a good one ,

Old 10-28-2017, 10:19 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
LOL Mine did the same. I was standing near the gas flap, and corner. I guess I moved to close and a foot went under the car. Luckily no one else was at the gas station where I frequent.
But thanks for the tip if it opens at Costco on me
we make sure there is nothing near the key Fobs when we're at home. Not even the cat, because I know its going to open in the rain !
Have a good one ,
This has only happened to me one time so far, and I am always careful to stand with my legs astride of the central area. On the other hand, I have about a 95% success rate at kicking it open, which apparently many other people have a much harder problem with. I just "kick a ball" under the central area, and it works nearly every time.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I did this with a loaner that had the Power Tailgate. Exactly like others described, moved just enough to mimic the kick request, and the Tailgate started moving. Only did it once for me since I figured out how 'not to move' around the car...

Old 10-29-2017, 11:30 AM
BDI
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Funny! I’ve found the tailgate open in my garage many times. I almost wwant to disable the sensor.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
I have had it happen when loading Groceries, I am pretty sure my feet tripped the kick sensor.
Yep - my wife regularly trips it by accident when loading stuff. Dumb smart car. She's been almost crushed numerous times.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BDI
Funny! I’ve found the tailgate open in my garage many times. I almost wwant to disable the sensor.
Same here!!

Or walk behind the car leaving for the office and hearing the boot opening by itself...

I will ask for a way to disable it at next maintenance or else, I pull the fuse on it! Powerlift gate is not a necessity for me...

Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the accidental kick 1 time and began closing on me. Figured it out quickly though. Two persistent problems are partial opening on a kick even when make sure not standing close and having to manually lift the rest of the way, and the spontaneous opening. Usually it is in the garage and suspect pocket pressing the key...at least that is what service told me...as I sit at my desk typing on the computer, like now. One time apparently did it while driving as looked in rearview mirror as back panel was blocking view and realized that it naturally raised when the back opened. One time while shopping returned to the car and was open. That really concerns me as a professional photographer it is not unusual to have $10,000 of cameras/lens and other gear in the back. When I took the car in for a 'low tire pressure' warning, asked if the tailgate lift on the fob could be disabled, and the answer was no.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 AM
darex
5th Gear
Happened two days in a row to me! It was very upsetting. However, I did some research, and discovered that coding one line solves this. Now, my fob will only raise the hatch if the doors are unlocked first. I'd say that the chances of accidental hatch openings have been greatly lowered. We'll see!

Here's the code, for those interested:

In BDC ECU, change VAM_DISABLE_OPEN_LID_AT_NOT_UNLOCKED to "aktiv"

Old 11-02-2017, 07:05 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tizeye
Had the accidental kick 1 time and began closing on me. Figured it out quickly though. Two persistent problems are partial opening on a kick even when make sure not standing close and having to manually lift the rest of the way, and the spontaneous opening. Usually it is in the garage and suspect pocket pressing the key...at least that is what service told me...as I sit at my desk typing on the computer, like now. One time apparently did it while driving as looked in rearview mirror as back panel was blocking view and realized that it naturally raised when the back opened. One time while shopping returned to the car and was open. That really concerns me as a professional photographer it is not unusual to have $10,000 of cameras/lens and other gear in the back. When I took the car in for a 'low tire pressure' warning, asked if the tailgate lift on the fob could be disabled, and the answer was no.
Hm - Leaves blowing under the vehicle? Still should not open with kick sensor unless key is in proximity.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:32 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrFunk
Hm - Leaves blowing under the vehicle? Still should not open with kick sensor unless key is in proximity.
In most cases, the key is in proximity. If you are getting something out of the rear, the key is usually in your pocket. Standing there reaching in the rear and the car goes..."Oh look, a foot underneath my bumper"...beep...beep....beep and the tailgate lowers.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:40 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
My wife just told me she's come back to the car after parking it at work and the tail gate has opened on it's own. I also observed it close on it's own as she walked by it... I'll be telling Mini about this - they need to come up with a fix... you all should complain as well.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:12 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Happened again yesterday...twice. The first was at Best Buy putting a hard drive purchase in the lower section. No foot movement, just standing there with upper body movement lifting the floor flap and as placing the package in, hear two Beeps so step out of way. Second time was at nursery with 11 eighteen pack containers of sod plugs (repairing where 5 piles of hurricane debris killed grass while waiting month for pickup.) Loaded two at a time and at some point was enough motion to start the tailgate closing.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
On a side note, the ONLY damage to my Mini is due to opening in garage. While always have the clearance to walk behind, wasn't quite far enough in and scraped paint off as contacted the metal framework of the garage door. I don't even have a parking lot ding - just this! I can't recall having any car where the tailgate (or trunk) spontaneously opened while in the garage and the controller was typically in my pocket with all prior vehicles. Did have one where 'pocket push' would set off the flashing lights/alarm.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:18 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tizeye
On a side note, the ONLY damage to my Mini is due to opening in garage. While always have the clearance to walk behind, wasn't quite far enough in and scraped paint off as contacted the metal framework of the garage door. I don't even have a parking lot ding - just this! I can't recall having any car where the tailgate (or trunk) spontaneously opened while in the garage and the controller was typically in my pocket with all prior vehicles. Did have one where 'pocket push' would set off the flashing lights/alarm.
Brutal
I'd file a claim with Mini USA to have them repair it. There is a problem with the software. BTW I contacted Mini USA yesterday myself about this.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:08 AM
darex
5th Gear
Same topic over at the X1 Bimmerfest forum.

X1 Hatch Issues

Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
glad I didn't get that option haha

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
I'll create a new thread so it's easy to find - but there is a TSB for this
TSB # 510916
Seems it's a software update for the tail gate. We are going in Monday for the update.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the hatch close on me twice, both times I'm almost positive it was my feet accidentally activating the sensor.

I've gone into my garage twice and the hatch was open. 3 times I've had the key fob in my pocket and when I go to sit in the car, the hatch opens. I think both of these situations are associated with the hatch button getting pressed while in my pocket. The fob is too sensitive IMO.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFunk
I'll create a new thread so it's easy to find - but there is a TSB for this
TSB # 510916
Seems it's a software update for the tail gate. We are going in Monday for the update.
It might not be possible, but it'd be great to know which software version fixes the issue.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
jourgenson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone without the power gate had any weird issues? Several times I have gotten in my car in the morning only to see that the tailgate open warning is on. When I check it, it is popped open a bit as if the tailgate button had been pressed on the remote. In all cases it was closed when I parked it the night before.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheJuice
I've had the hatch close on me twice, both times I'm almost positive it was my feet accidentally activating the sensor.

I've gone into my garage twice and the hatch was open. 3 times I've had the key fob in my pocket and when I go to sit in the car, the hatch opens. I think both of these situations are associated with the hatch button getting pressed while in my pocket. The fob is too sensitive IMO.
I'm not so sure about that. I watched the hatch close on it's own while in the garage (no leaves blowing under the bumper) and my wife had the key dangling from her hand (fob not in hand)... She also said her trunk was open a couple times when she left her office. I'd suggest you go in for the TSB....