F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Power Tailgate Possessed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TheJuice
It might not be possible, but it'd be great to know which software version fixes the issue.
I'm going in to do some coding tonight and can see if it lists an ECU software version or not. Whatever version I'm on is what they give you as the "fix".

Old 03-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Kowboycoop
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the TSB done. Like other posters the tail gate was going up on its on. I thought it was solved with the update. But today was at our local pet store with my 3 dogs. Left one in the Countryman. Was gone for 30 minutes. and guess what the tailgate was wide open. At first I thought my dog was gone, and was in shock. and than peaked around and was setting in the front Passenger seat looking at me. I have no trust in the power tail gate. Not sure what to do now. I know I i will never leave my dogs in the countryman. Also my fear, is that it opens on it own durning a heavy down poor. Or when we do the MTTS2018, and have it loaded down with luggage, it decides to open up. and a free for all, who wants our stuff. Shocked and in disbelief this is happening.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Panic !

I bet you were panicked 'Kowboycoop' ! Good Doggy, front seat.
Probably warmer there also.
I had only one occasion so far with the tailgate mysteriously opened by itself, luckily I went outside just to see what the neighborhood deer were doing in the front yard, and the hatch was open. I cannot remember if I had the key fob in my pants pocket. I wonder about it though, when I hear it raining sometimes.

Since then, wifee and I are diligent to to put the key fobs on a side cabinet in the kitchen, where I keep all my keys, as soon as we bring them in the house.
I never carry the key fob in my pants pockets anymore, just in my shirt pocket or a jacket pocket. I haven't had any incidents since october last year.

I am glad your 'good doggy' did leave the car !

I just keep the key fob in my shirt pocket now, its how I have adjusted,
best regards

Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 AM
kwhilden
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having this same problem on my Mini 2018 PHEV Countryman. Tailgate opens in the middle of the night, when we are asleep and definitely nobody or pets have touched the key fob.

Has anyone figured out a fix yet?

I also hate the power tailgate foot mechanism, which has never worked for me on purpose. Can it be disabled?

Old 02-09-2019, 12:16 PM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The only "solution" that seems to work is to lock my car whenever I leave it, including in my own garage. I personally hate that but I have not had the hatch opening issue since I've done that, except for the one time I forgot to lock it. I went into the garage the next morning to go to work and before I pressed the button to open the garage door I notice the hatch had opened and was stopped against the garage door. If I hadn't noticed (I always look now) and pressed the button to open the garage door, things would have gotten ugly fast. Both doors probably would have been damaged.

The locking suggestion from from my dealer. That's not a true fix, it's a band-aid. I intend to press them on it the next time I go in for service.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:31 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kwolfman
The only "solution" that seems to work is to lock my car whenever I leave it, including in my own garage. I personally hate that but I have not had the hatch opening issue since I've done that, except for the one time I forgot to lock it. I went into the garage the next morning to go to work and before I pressed the button to open the garage door I notice the hatch had opened and was stopped against the garage door. If I hadn't noticed (I always look now) and pressed the button to open the garage door, things would have gotten ugly fast. Both doors probably would have been damaged.

The locking suggestion from from my dealer. That's not a true fix, it's a band-aid. I intend to press them on it the next time I go in for service.
I fixed mine for good by coding so that the tailgate will only open AFTER doors are unlocked. Never happened again!

In BDC ECU, change VAM_DISABLE_OPEN_LID_AT_NOT_UNLOCKED to "aktiv"
(Yes, it's counter-intuitive)

My foot action works 90% of the time, first try. Do a "soccer ball kick", rather than a "foot sweep."