F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Wireless Charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Wireless Charging

Just received a Spigen iPhoneX case (because I'm thinking about getting one).

I can now confirm what I'd previously only measured, that the iPhoneX in a case will easily fit our wireless charging docks.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 PM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did the same measuring and plan on ordering an X. That will help get rid of an annoying charging cable. Cool!

Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by I'mMelting
I did the same measuring and plan on ordering an X. That will help get rid of an annoying charging cable. Cool!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 AM
darex
5th Gear
It looks like BMW has another version of their wireless charging system, which can accommodate bigger phones. To be honest, it looks even junkier than the one we have, which I know is shared in the 3 Series, and perhaps with others. Check it out this video. As for the reminder that you've left behind with the ignition off, I'm going to look and see if we have that feature too, because I really need it. I walk away from the car with my phone left behind every other time. I knew that would happen if I stashed my phone in the armrest. I can't seem to remember to grab it every time. I am using a wireless charging case on my iPhone6 in the meantime, before the X comes out.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 AM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been using the wireless charging to charge my 6th Gen iPod. I had to buy a $10 charging adapter from AZ, which plugs into the lighting connector on the bottom of the iPod. The iPod keeps fully charged and it connects to the infotainment system via bluetooth. Look Mom, no wires! It works great, and unlike darex, I don't have to remember to take it with me (it's not a phone). It remains in the arm rest, sight unseen.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:19 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kwolfman
I've been using the wireless charging to charge my 6th Gen iPod. I had to buy a $10 charging adapter from AZ, which plugs into the lighting connector on the bottom of the iPod. The iPod keeps fully charged and it connects to the infotainment system via bluetooth. Look Mom, no wires! It works great, and unlike darex, I don't have to remember to take it with me (it's not a phone). It remains in the arm rest, sight unseen.
If I were to go that route, I would probably get a micro flash drive, and fill it with everything I could possibly want to play, and plug it into one of the USB ports and forget about it.

I've given up on Apple CarPlay until I have a new phone. I think my phone is the limiting factor which makes Apple CarPlay work like ****. In the meantime, I am able to stream everything from the wireless charger via Bluetooth to the head unit. In particular, TuneIn and Iâ¤ï¸Radio apps. They just appear. Works great!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:40 PM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by darex
If I were to go that route, I would probably get a micro flash drive, and fill it with everything I could possibly want to play, and plug it into one of the USB ports and forget about it.
The iPod (which I already had) lets me play the protected songs I purchased a long time ago through iTunes. I don't bother with Apple Carplay. I just use it as a Bluetooth device and I can access all of my music. The only thing that I haven't been able to do is use playlists. I think I'm just missing something. It's not a killer.

On a sightly different topic, I started using the SiriusXM sat radio. What the heck the first year is free. To my ears, the sound quality has been vastly improved over the SiriusXM in i heard in my 2013 MINI Clubman. I stopped using it because the sound seemed to be very heavily compressed and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of a metal trash can. The new setup is vastly improved. I don't know whether the radio is better or SiriusXM is using less compression.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 PM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a sightly different topic, I started using the SiriusXM sat radio. What the heck the first year is free. To my ears, the sound quality has been vastly improved over the SiriusXM in i heard in my 2013 MINI Clubman. I stopped using it because the sound seemed to be very heavily compressed and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of a metal trash can. The new setup is vastly improved. I don't know whether the radio is better or SiriusXM is using less compression.
I agree! I have Sirius in two other vehicles (Jeeps) and the sound quality is so poor it is not worth using.

On my Mini, the sound is actually much better.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The iPod (which I already had) lets me play the protected songs I purchased a long time ago through iTunes.
FYI, you can convert your old protected songs to unprotected:
https://www.wired.com/2014/03/kill-itunes-drm/

Old 10-23-2017, 05:09 PM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been using the wireless charging since I got my iPhone 8 and it's pretty awesome! It's nice just to pop it in there and let it do it's thing. Even if it's only adding a little bit of charge [cause a) it's not fast and b) I am using the phone usually for CarPlay]... My wife still has the 6s, so if we're in the car together, she can use the cord and I can use the wireless charging! :D

Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by iceknyght
I have been using the wireless charging since I got my iPhone 8 and it's pretty awesome! It's nice just to pop it in there and let it do it's thing. Even if it's only adding a little bit of charge [cause a) it's not fast and b) I am using the phone usually for CarPlay]... My wife still has the 6s, so if we're in the car together, she can use the cord and I can use the wireless charging! :D
I love it too, but am STILL leaving my phone in the car every other time! I wish it were just a VISIBLE tray, up front, like in the 3-series.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:13 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
I love it too, but am STILL leaving my phone in the car every other time! I wish it were just a VISIBLE tray, up front, like in the 3-series.
Yeah, it's a double edged sword. I like the fact that it's out of the way, but it definitely makes it easier to forget! They need to make an arm rest with a "window" built in...

Luckily for me, I am used to pulling my phone out of my pocket and placing it somewhere in the car, so I am already conditioned to look for it when I get out, but if that's not something you do all the time, it's super easy to forget that you did!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 AM
darex
5th Gear
In my F56, I had a cradle, front and center, and I never forgot to grab my phone. Here, the adage "out of sight, out of mind", really is holding sway.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Apple says BMWs (and hopefully MINI by proxy) are Apple/Qi-compatible but will they provide enough juice (Amps) to outrun the navigation apps?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/24/...rging-support/

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Karrock
Apple says BMWs (and hopefully MINI by proxy) are Apple/Qi-compatible but will they provide enough juice (Amps) to outrun the navigation apps?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/24/...rging-support/
My iPhone 8 charges while using CarPlay pretty well. It's not a physical link, so the charging is definitely slower, but so far, each drive that I have used both (Carplay and the wireless charging), I do end up a few percent higher than when I've started.

I also have only gone like 30 minutes at most doing this (so no long trips), so I can't say if the longer trips would eat more battery than it would charge, but in my experience, it's been fine. If you're worried about the apps draining the power a lot (or you get in the car and are at like 10% and need to use it), I definitely would recommend plugging it in instead of the wireless... Luckily, we have both options...

Old 10-24-2017, 01:26 PM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
In my F56, I had a cradle, front and center, and I never forgot to grab my phone. Here, the adage "out of sight, out of mind", really is holding sway.
Try putting something visible in one of your front cup holders to remind you to take your phone. Even something as stupid as an image of your smartphone might help.

When you take your phone out of the cradle, put the picture in it's place. Reverse when you put the phone back in.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM
darex
5th Gear
Try putting something visible in one of your front cup holders to remind you to take your phone. Even something as stupid as an image of your smartphone might help.

When you take your phone out of the cradle, put the picture in it's place. Reverse when you put the phone back in.
Not a bad idea, but I think I'll just try to train my brain to do an arc from e-brake straight on to flipping open the armrest upon parking. A wire-free car interior is worth the effort!