F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Buyer's remorse - Hitch issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buyer's remorse - Hitch issue

Don't get me wrong, I like my Countryman S...but at times wish I had gone with my second vehicle choice. The biggest issue, it seems that MiniUSA has taken Sport Activity out of Sport Activity Vehicle as unable to mount a hitch for bike rack (preferred method of transport), single loading canoe/kayak to roof, or even a small trailer for jet skis, etc. The only bike option is roof rack which has other issues - lack of efficiency, damage risk, and while I am not vertically challenged, lifting a bike when tired after a workout. Likewise, lifting a canoe or kayak after paddling upstream to return to launch point (springhead so couldn't start upstream for easier downstream return).

There essetially is no hitch available for the F60. When ordered the Mini, Curt had hitch 11451__ for the Countryman which they no longer show on their web site, e-trailer no linger lists, but a few lesser known do list remaining stock as 'available'. Curt, DrawTite, Reese and others don't even list Mini in their configuration search. MNYDoMore and others also don't list a hitch for the F60 Countryman or in the case of InvisiHitch, any Mini's. Emails to them confirm lack of availability and usually include the line "not rated for towing" all thanks to MiniUSA's official statement.

Enter the internet only shows how wrong MiniUSA is when Mini UK, DE, AZ all show hitch options on builds and UK further state towing capacity, depending on equipment as stated in the manual up to 3300lbs. Unfortunately, the manual is not available as a pdf online, but the pdf brochure further confirms a hitch as an option. Further research, it appears that both the Mini F60 and related BMW X1 hitch model numbers are the same exact BMW model numbers. So Mini's can in fact tow...MiniUSA just doesn't want to admit it for whatever reason (legal, warranty wear/tear etc.). I also asked the question of Curt, Draw-Tite if their X1 hitch would fit the Countryman when built on the same chassis, and the S - same engine/drivetrain. They either took the easy answer "No" or at your risk of it not fitting.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Is it because this is a new bodystyle that there are no hitch options? I find it hard to believe a hitch can not be added. I saw some dude in his Miata towing a trailer yesterday.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
just get the hitch from the UK

Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 AM
BDI
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
OEM? Do you have a part number?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrFunk
Is it because this is a new bodystyle that there are no hitch options? I find it hard to believe a hitch can not be added. I saw some dude in his Miata towing a trailer yesterday.
Yes...no hitch option for the new model. There are no hitches. The Curt hitch was technically for the 2016 and newer Clubman, and even YouTube video of install, but no longer listed in Curt's manufacturing inventory (catalog skips that model #) and Mini isn't listed as a searchable vehicle which is their preferred search method.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mega72 View Post
Originally Posted by BDI
OEM? Do you have a part number?
While the online buying/ordering at Mini only list the option number, found the part number on amazon.uk which also had the note "seller does not ship to USA". Further googling just the part number 71606870724 confirmed was same for BMW X1.

Amazon.uk link
Amazon Amazon

That of course is a european style hitch without the 1 1/4 receiver and don't know if available. A better option on european hitch design is Invisihitch (US distributor is Execuhitch) where they do have a 1 1/4 receiver option in place of the ball. http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/ Rumor has it that they are the OEM provider for BMW. Unfortunately, they don't list a model for Mini and told me the easy "No" when I inquired about X1 interchangability with Countryman. There are even photos/articles on the internet of an X1 pulling a 4000lb boat using their hitch! Towing capacity of the vehicle is there irrespective of what MiniUSA says.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Outmotoring had previously posted that they were looking for an F60 to volunteer for a prototype hitch. I wonder if there has been any developments there!

I'm with you on this issue. It's mind blowing they wouldn't have a hitch be an option for accessories such as bike racks.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:20 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Went in the dealership today - almost embarrassing. The low tire pressure light and message came on and was closer to dealership than home. Hated going in there for just that, but they took care of, no problem. While there said "Hi" to the salesman bought the car through. Mentioned the frustration on the hitch issue which he was very aware of with the availability in europe but hot here and replied "you're not alone". With the demand, whomever starts stocking a hitch is going to have a monopoly. Knowing he was an avid fisherman, showed him the blog photo of the X1 in Germany pulling the 2000kg (4000lb) ski boat. Really sweet photo and was not some independent rigging it up, but at BMW Germany's media event.http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/07/22/ne...-2000-kg-boat/

While Mini UK rates the Countryman a little lower at 3400lbs towing, couldn't you just see it pulling a lighter boat, like a Hobicat or even twin jet skis (snowmobile for northerners). My personal needs are much lighter...and wouldn't even require a trailer or lighting.

Last edited by tizeye; 10-17-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have looked as well and found the same thing - nothing.

I imagine something will come along...

Old 10-18-2017, 02:35 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Snurfer
Outmotoring had previously posted that they were looking for an F60 to volunteer for a prototype hitch. I wonder if there has been any developments there!

I'm with you on this issue. It's mind blowing they wouldn't have a hitch be an option for accessories such as bike racks.
Didn't see in Outmotoring's product selection so sent them an email, referencing this thread, and just had a reply. They remain committed to a hitch for the F60 but not in production yet. Currently in CAD drawing/testing stage. No the X1 isn't interchangeable due to mounting differences and clearance issues. It is the clearance issue that is the biggest design factor to overcome...but at least someone is working on it!

Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tizeye
Didn't see in Outmotoring's product selection so sent them an email, referencing this thread, and just had a reply. They remain committed to a hitch for the F60 but not in production yet. Currently in CAD drawing/testing stage. No the X1 isn't interchangeable due to mounting differences and clearance issues. It is the clearance issue that is the biggest design factor to overcome...but at least someone is working on it!
Awesome! Thanks for checking with them! So I guess I won’t sell my 4 bike hitch.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is SO BMW..... Years Ago when I was a Master BMW tech we followed the ‘party’ line on no Tow Hitches for North American Spec BMW models. And then I had a Grey Market 745i E-23 owner , who had his owners manual showing a Seven Series BMW towing a small trailer, and a whole chapter devoted to Towing......... I guess nothings changed years later.....:

Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Pure Red
This is SO BMW..... Years Ago when I was a Master BMW tech we followed the ‘party’ line on no Tow Hitches for North American Spec BMW models. And then I had a Grey Market 745i E-23 owner , who had his owners manual showing a Seven Series BMW towing a small trailer, and a whole chapter devoted to Towing......... I guess nothings changed years later.....:
I think of it more as "misrepresentation." Think about it. Everybody would be up in arms if their official marketing line was that the base Countryman would do 0-60 in 3.1 sec and get 58mpg city (intentionally absurd on both examples). The reverse is also true. Officially understating the capabilities of the vehicle is a misrepresentation equally as outrageous as overstating, as you can't trust what they say. Thanks to the Internet, it is now easy to see when their corporate counterparts internationally contradict them.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:43 PM
BDI
2nd Gear
Great news!! Hopefully something is available by Spring.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM
howardeng
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I purchased the Curt Hitch p/n 11451 this summer. I installed it, but didn't use it yet, luckily. I got a phone call last month from CURT Mfg that it was being recalled, and DO NOT use it. This week, I received a replacement hitch, pn 11522. The original hitch mounted on the pan of the back, and was an easy install. The tech I talked to last month said the hitch was separating from the vehicle, and that the pan was not strong enough to support the weight. (you would think they would have tested that.) They offered me the new hitch, as well as will pay for the removal of the old and installation of the new. The new requires a bumper removal. I have not done it yet, and since they are paying, I may take it to a trailer store to the installation....I have enough on my plate... Class 1, but with an adapter, my carrier fits on the back....

Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by howardeng
I purchased the Curt Hitch p/n 11451 this summer. I installed it, but didn't use it yet, luckily. I got a phone call last month from CURT Mfg that it was being recalled, and DO NOT use it. This week, I received a replacement hitch, pn 11522. The original hitch mounted on the pan of the back, and was an easy install. The tech I talked to last month said the hitch was separating from the vehicle, and that the pan was not strong enough to support the weight. (you would think they would have tested that.) They offered me the new hitch, as well as will pay for the removal of the old and installation of the new. The new requires a bumper removal. I have not done it yet, and since they are paying, I may take it to a trailer store to the installation....I have enough on my plate... Class 1, but with an adapter, my carrier fits on the back....
Good to know...and the fact that Curt took the initiative on the recall. That is consistent with what Outmotoring advised in the email but I intentionally left that content out in my earlier post as it was a 3rd party and competitor statement making me hesitant to pass it on. Looked at the Curt site and like the design of #11522. Crossbar totally hidden, unlike the one it replaced, with the dropdown receiver protruding just below the bumper - no visible/patched cut through. http://www.curtmfg.com/part/11522. It also fits all F60 models EXCEPT electric/hybrid.

On a secondary note - and the related thread on the tailgate opening that a recent TSB MIGHT fix. Personally, with a bike hitch or any other hitch that rises up, would put some foam tubes in area where might impact the hatch door if opened before you had the chance to drop (swing down) the rack to allow the clearance. You can find those tubes either pipe insulators in Home Depot/Lowes or swim tubes as various department stores. The pipe insulators are probably best, as not only is black a color choice but they are sliced lengthwise with adhesive strip making them easy to install on the rack tube.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Are you sure the hitch won’t fit the Hybrid F60?

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Snurfer
Are you sure the hitch won’t fit the Hybrid F60?
The Curt link above lists the models and trim. The only model missing is the hybrid. The list is a the bottom of the page.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
I would rather use the actual OEM stuff, than aftermarket "workaround" stuff like the Curt products (though they would technically suffice).

Why can't we get the MINI genuine OEM parts for the "rear carrier preparation (option 3AR)" from a MINI parts importer? Once that's installed, it's all OEM and we can get the properly designed accessories like the "REMOVEABLE TOW BALL HITCH" and the "REAR BIKE CARRIER COMPACT" which is what I would like to run.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn, that's a helluva different structural design -- behind-the-bumper-cover instead of bolted beneath the car. I wonder if the re-engineering was done at BMW/MINI's request or if there was some other issue?

CURT 11451

CURT 11522

Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
The Curt link above lists the models and trim. The only model missing is the hybrid. The list is a the bottom of the page.
I’m guessing they just haven’t tested to see if it would fit. I’ll be their ginny pig!

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 AM
tizeye
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by f60jcw
I would rather use the actual OEM stuff, than aftermarket "workaround" stuff like the Curt products (though they would technically suffice).

Why can't we get the MINI genuine OEM parts for the "rear carrier preparation (option 3AR)" from a MINI parts importer? Once that's installed, it's all OEM and we can get the properly designed accessories like the "REMOVEABLE TOW BALL HITCH" and the "REAR BIKE CARRIER COMPACT" which is what I would like to run.
I agree. That European hidden design is great. Unfortunatey not only is the OEM not available but the invisihitch/execuhitch (rumored to manufacture the OEM) doesn't carry any for Mini, while they do for the BMW. http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/ While expensive - would really be great.

Also, on the old design Curt vs new design, it is the connection point to the vehicle is critical. The new one, like BMW, connects to the end of the frame while the original was through existing holes in floor - presumably not in line with the frame - that couldn't support the weight.

Outmotoring and Mnidomore still haven't brought anything to market. Hopefully by spring.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 PM
BDI
2nd Gear
Any pics yet? Will most likely be doing this after the winter.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:12 AM
Rogervand
Neutral
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
New hitch available from Curt

I had part #11522 installed on my Countryman S. My understanding is that they had to redesign the hitch for 2017. Installs between frame and rear bumper.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:44 AM
BDI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rogervand
I had part #11522 installed on my Countryman S. My understanding is that they had to redesign the hitch for 2017. Installs between frame and rear bumper.
Pics would be great!!