F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 2018 Countryman JCW - help me decide :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 Countryman JCW - help me decide :(

I cannot get myself to pull the trigger.

So here's my story. A former MINI S hardtop owner, I've decided to go for my 2nd MINI, this time a countryman as I now have 2 little ones. I was all set to get a CM S but after the test drive was underwhelmed.

Was about to give up on MINIs but test drove the JCW and Suddenly there is hope!

Talked to a couple dealerships and was able to get the price down to roughly 3k below MSRP. (by the way, how is that? anybody else care to share if they get better or worse?)

So now, I'm ready to pull the trigger, but the color combination is killing me and I cannot decide. Light white + black + red stripes? Or moonwalk grey + red + black stripes? Etc.

While I'm deciding that I also talk to coworkers to get their thoughts and one of my coworkers suggest getting CPO. Hmmm?? I don't see any recent CM JCW used out there or what i see is not really catching my eye. I did however see a MCS 4 door carbon edition. Hmm... is that worth a look for half the price I'd be paying for the JCW CM?

Well, now I cannot decide on color, new, used, price to pay, etc. I feel like I'm back to the start again.

So help me out NAM community. What would you do???

Spend a little fortune and buy new and just go for it?
Be economical and buy used (I've never bought used so I'm a little worried about this idea - especially a potentially used "unreliable" MINI???

PLEASE HELP

Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Unless I found a screaming deal on a JCW, I'd go with an S model and tune it. Flash or piggyback like JB4 or Dinan Elite.

I saw a 4 door Carbon on the lot when my wife got her 4 door. She wanted Blue or Pepper White, so Carbon didn't make it home with us. I would have gone for it!

I buy low miles used for myself, let someone else take the bigger depreciation hit. If leasing then a different story and go new. I no longer need to have the newest model year to make me happy, the advantage of being older.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Unless I found a screaming deal on a JCW, I'd go with an S model and tune it. Flash or piggyback like JB4 or Dinan Elite.

I saw a 4 door Carbon on the lot when my wife got her 4 door. She wanted Blue or Pepper White, so Carbon didn't make it home with us. I would have gone for it!

I buy low miles used for myself, let someone else take the bigger depreciation hit. If leasing then a different story and go new. I no longer need to have the newest model year to make me happy, the advantage of being older.
^^ This.
We bought a CW S with the JCW aero and interior package. It has the adaptive suspension as well. We'll just tune it next and there you go. That said - I do like the two color packages you reference. I'd be happy with both. We ended up with a white and black one with red stitching and love the color combo. I agree that these CMS's are under powered and the turbo lag makes for a bit of a lethargic driving experience IMO - but I'm also used to quite high performance vehicles too...

As far as pricing. We got about 3.5k off as well.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question, but I thought there was no tuning kit specifically designed for countryman? I've heard of the tuning kits for the regular MINIs but wasn't aware of the ones for CM. Please educate me.

Also, when you "tune" do you get the nice crackle and pops out of the exhaust?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Tuning with non MINI vendors, Manic Tuning, Dinan, Burger Tuning, etc. Don't know about MINI kits for CM or others as they hold no interest for me.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
We will do a Dinan tune most likely.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:39 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
My concern used is with the previous owner factor. We have a 12 Countryman SAll4 that had low miles and has been lots of headaches. The fun factor luckily has eclipsed the frustration - by a bit.

As my 18 JCW will be my second car and not a DD, I decided to go new. Part of being older is being able to afford to take the depreciation hit I could not when younger. I got exactly what I wanted and did not have to "settle."

3K off is an excellent deal for a JCW.

GL!

The following users liked this post:
booyun (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:17 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jwanck11
My concern used is with the previous owner factor. We have a 12 Countryman SAll4 that had low miles and has been lots of headaches. The fun factor luckily has eclipsed the frustration - by a bit.

As my 18 JCW will be my second car and not a DD, I decided to go new. Part of being older is being able to afford to take the depreciation hit I could not when younger. I got exactly what I wanted and did not have to "settle."

GL!

I like your answer. The more I thought about it the more I agree with your statement on the previous owner (reliability) factor. I personally "baby" all the cars I've owned in the past. Not sure what I'd get from a previously owned. It'd be a gamble.

I last owned a mini 10 years ago and yes a bit older now so can swallow the higher price tag along with the depreciation.

As far as color I think I found the right combo: thunder grey + chili red roof. I may add stripes (black with red outline) later.

I also am deciding to remove leather (going leatherette) and instead adding dynamic suspension + active driving assistant.

I'm feeling pretty close to pulling the trigger now!

Old 10-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Love that color combo - it is both a classic as well as "badass" look at the same time.

I left the stripes off as well. I really like the stripes on our '12, but wanted to get a feel for mine before adding them.

I baby my cars too - and like to know exactly what is being done to it along the way.

The leatherette is very nice (probably the hardest choice I made my call on.) It is comfortable and a heck of a lot less expensive. It also wont get as darn hot in the Summer sun.

The active driving assistant is the bain of my existence. I installed it on my DD and absolutely love it. I did not order it on the JCW - and wish I had. :(

Old 10-15-2017, 09:23 AM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

GL!
I agree with everything you said. I order new so that I can get exactly what I want. Dealers almost never have cars configured the way I would want them. I'm older now too and I tend to keep cars forever. I figure the huge up-front depreciation is spread over the many years I keep the vehicles so all that becomes less painful.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Exactly, I saved some cash by buying an S model and adding the Dinan Elite chip. 58hp & 88Torque makes more power than the stock JCW for only $899.

Honestly, I went into the dealership to buy a JCW, but after seeing how subtle the JCW bodykit and trim is, it's not much different than the "S". Wasn't worth the extra cash in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 AM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOriginalKonky
Exactly, I saved some cash by buying an S model and adding the Dinan Elite chip. 58hp & 88Torque makes more power than the stock JCW for only $899.

Honestly, I went into the dealership to buy a JCW, but after seeing how subtle the JCW bodykit and trim is, it's not much different than the "S". Wasn't worth the extra cash in my opinion.
The JCW is more than just a body and trim kit. It also adds Brembo brakes and the engine is "beefier" internally. With Dinan Elite and the JCW you would end up with 280hp. The brake rotors are vented both front and rear. The JCW also includes the sport suspension with dynamic damping, All4, improved exhaust and JCW seats. I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
I hear ya, I know it comes with more than just a body kit, it was just MY opinion that it wasn't worth the price tag (and longer waiting period to be built). When I see all the other MINI platforms, the JCW's all are distinctly different then their "S" models. I think the CM looks almost exactly like the "S" or even the base model with subtle details.

Do I like the JCW CM, hell yes. Would I buy one, probably not. All just my opinion.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:11 PM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just ordered the Dinan Elite for my 2018 Countryman S from my dealer and they will install it. Their top tech guy is very positive about the Elite. It should get here in about 10 days, which should give me time to get through the break in mileage. (I only have 55 miles on it now; it was delivered with 12 miles on the odometer, which is lower than any other new car I have purchased.) . I have owned "sleeper" cars before; no special badging or external identification, but go like hell. I rather like that!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Guys, I am THIS close to ordering. I have all my options in place, negotiated a final price and paperwork ready to sign. I just cannot decide on color. So wondering if you can all give me your two cents on this.

I was originally going to go Thunder grey + Chili Red Roof. Possibly add black stripes with thin red border later. However, after going to the dealership and looking at a few thunder greys, it just looked too "flat" for me.

I am now thinking either:

- Light White + Chili Red (may add the black stripe w/ thin red border later + driving lights in black)

- Light White + Black (may add those same stripes)

- Midnight black + Chili Red (not sure about stripes or additional lights but may black out the chrome)

I am in upper 30's, male, have a family and work a corporate job just in case that factors into your opinion.

I previously owned a lightning blue + black stripe MINI back in the day but prefer not to go blue with the JCW.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Color choices are a purely personal thing. Why would it matter to you what we think?

My favorite combo is Moonwalk Grey/Red, which I don't own. I do have Midnight Black with Red, added with Vinyl roof wrap. Black is near impossible to keep looking good however.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Color choices are a purely personal thing. Why would it matter to you what we think?

My favorite combo is Moonwalk Grey/Red, which I don't own. I do have Midnight Black with Red, added with Vinyl roof wrap. Black is near impossible to keep looking good however.
Yea, I know But even something like your last comment about the black is nice input.

Hmmm...after browsing a few more pictures, wondering if I stick with Thunder Grey. Even though the grey doesn't pop, the red certainly does and may be a nice compliment to the grey.

Example:

Old 10-18-2017, 06:23 PM
jkwireless
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by booyun
Yea, I know But even something like your last comment about the black is nice input.

Hmmm...after browsing a few more pictures, wondering if I stick with Thunder Grey. Even though the grey doesn't pop, the red certainly does and may be a nice compliment to the grey.

Example:

I have this exact car and love it. I am also a waiter on a 2018 CM JCW (picking up tomorrow) and chose Rebel Green / Chilli Red (no stripes). On Thunder Grey I went back and forth between that and Moonwalk, but after viewing a zillion cars (and touring the factory), I decided that I like the Thunder more (for me) and think the Moonwalk looks awesome with a black roof. My preference for a red roof kept me with the Thunder Grey.

Good luck with your choice, and be sure to get every option that you think you want as you cannot add them once it is built!

Old 10-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
sleeper

Originally Posted by I'mMelting
I just ordered the Dinan Elite for my 2018 Countryman S from my dealer and they will install it. Their top tech guy is very positive about the Elite. It should get here in about 10 days, which should give me time to get through the break in mileage. (I only have 55 miles on it now; it was delivered with 12 miles on the odometer, which is lower than any other new car I have purchased.) . I have owned "sleeper" cars before; no special badging or external identification, but go like hell. I rather like that!
This ^ . The sleeper is the one you really have to watch out for. Back in the dinosaur days, had a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0, grey/silver.
Good god that thing would run Only thing that might have given it away besides, the dual exhaust and wider tires, ( sounded 'healthy ' at idle),
if you didn't pay attention, everyone thought it was probably a 2.3L four popper. It was such a nice car, wish I still had it.

So the dealer will install the Dinan elite ? Interesting,
and it won't hurt the turbo or pistons ?
Hope that clutch or Torque converter can handle it,

Old 10-26-2017, 01:48 PM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Honestly, the car is so under-powered that I don't think 58 hp could hurt it.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:20 PM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOriginalKonky
Honestly, the car is so under-powered that I don't think 58 hp could hurt it.
...and it still has full warranty.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
I took delivery today. Drove it 71 miles! lol.

Absolutely love the car, but it definitely needs any help it can get. I did not buy the car for straight line speed, but additional hp/torque would certainly help coming out of turns.

I will absolutely be getting the Elite.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
I took delivery today. Drove it 71 miles! lol.

Absolutely love the car, but it definitely needs any help it can get. I did not buy the car for straight line speed, but additional hp/torque would certainly help coming out of turns.

I will absolutely be getting the Elite.
Sweet!! And Congrats!! I'm sure it was worth the wait!

Yes, I am already planning on the Elite myself and I still have 2+ months left to go.