F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Sunroof Shade Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:11 AM
MNCNTRYMN
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sunroof Shade Rattle

Anyone have issues with the sunroof shade rattling when opened completely? Seems like the handle to open/close the sunroof shade makes contact with something inside the tray when completely open in the front and rear. A workaround is to not open completely, leave the sunroof shade open a couple inches and the rattle stops. Checking to see if anyone else experienced this. Thanks!

Last edited by MNCNTRYMN; 10-03-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Yes - we had that issue with our test drive vehicle and it drove me nuts.
The car we actually purchased however does not have this issue - this car came with the upgraded black headliner so not sure if that made any difference in the padding?...

Old 10-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MNCNTRYMN
Anyone have issues with the sunroof shade rattling when opened completely? Seems like the handle to open/close the sunroof shade makes contact with something inside the tray when completely open in the front and rear. A workaround is to not open completely, leave the sunroof shade open a couple inches and the rattle stops. Checking to see if anyone else experienced this. Thanks!
No problem with mine and I don't have the Anthracite headliner. That shouldn't make a difference what color it is.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
sunshade

ours rattles when the backseat sunshade is closed. The handle in the middle is hard plastic and it rattles on the frame just a bit when closed.
Our nieces found the rattle. A couple felt pads later, no rattle.

We have had the 'Countryman' a little over a month now. Its almost like, how did we get along without it ?
hope that helps

Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 AM
MNCNTRYMN
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
ours rattles when the backseat sunshade is closed. The handle in the middle is hard plastic and it rattles on the frame just a bit when closed.
Our nieces found the rattle. A couple felt pads later, no rattle.

We have had the 'Countryman' a little over a month now. Its almost like, how did we get along without it ?
hope that helps
Thanks for this. Where exactly did you put the felt pads?

Old 10-06-2017, 06:06 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
rattle

Originally Posted by MNCNTRYMN
Thanks for this. Where exactly did you put the felt pads?
You know where the sunshade has a small indent for a hand grip in the middle, like half way in the middle from the side.
It seems when that shade is fully closed, slid all the way to the rear, the frame for the shade has hard plastic against hard plastic when slid closed.

I placed two stick on pieces of felt on the plastic,on each side of that indent for the handle for the sun shade. The felt pads just fills up that space between the slide shade and the frame it rides in so they don't bump against each other when going down the road and cause that annoying rattle.

I'd take a pic, but my wife has driven the car to work Everyday !
She's throwing rocks at the IS350 now,

Hope that helps,

Old 10-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info, I too noticed the rattle while driving a Countryman loaner for a few days this month.....
I figured there already was a 'Rattle thread' going on somewhere here on NAM about it.....

Old 10-19-2017, 06:16 AM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same rattle. It was very annoying and I found it hard to pinpoint where it was coming from, other than it was from "up there somewhere". Sitting in the back seat with the sunroof mesh closed I could bop the area of the roof near where the slide handle nestled into the frame at the back. Clearly the rattle was coming from there.

I went to my basement and found some heavy duty stick-on velcro, about 2" wide. I cut off a 4" piece of the soft side (not the side with the little velcro hooks). I stuck that to the plastic frame where the mesh handle enters the frame when closed. I centered the soft velcro, facing up (sticky side down) and placed it as far back as it would go. The frame conveniently has a backstop about 2" in.

This has completely fixed my rattle when the rear mesh is closed. MINI ought to do something similar to this during the build.