F60 Question on F60 Hybrid highway passing performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 AM
jse75
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question on F60 Hybrid highway passing performance

Hi there,

I'm new to posting on the forums but not new to Mini (or to lurking on the forums either for that matter) - have had two R60 Countryman S (2011, 2012) and despite a pretty disappointing experience with maintenance issues on the 2011, have just traded it in for a 2018 F60 S ALL4 which we love so far.

I had a question for those who are lucky enough to own the F60 PHEV/Hybrid. How do you find the highway performance, particularly passing at high speed (e.g. 50-70mph, 65-75 mph etc). The MINI dealer here in Austin doesn't have one to drive, and none of the online reviews directly comment on this. It's not clear to me how much effort the electric RWD puts in at highway speeds. Does it perform highway passing like the 3-cylinder base model (if so, I'm steering clear), or does it leverage both the front and rear drive systems for highway passing?

Given how much better the 2018 is than our 2011, 2012's, I'm strongly inclined to trade in the 2012 as well, but trying to decide between another F60 S ALL4 or the PHEV.

Thanks for your advice and perspective...

Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jse75
Hi there,

I'm new to posting on the forums but not new to Mini (or to lurking on the forums either for that matter) - have had two R60 Countryman S (2011, 2012) and despite a pretty disappointing experience with maintenance issues on the 2011, have just traded it in for a 2018 F60 S ALL4 which we love so far.

I had a question for those who are lucky enough to own the F60 PHEV/Hybrid. How do you find the highway performance, particularly passing at high speed (e.g. 50-70mph, 65-75 mph etc). The MINI dealer here in Austin doesn't have one to drive, and none of the online reviews directly comment on this. It's not clear to me how much effort the electric RWD puts in at highway speeds. Does it perform highway passing like the 3-cylinder base model (if so, I'm steering clear), or does it leverage both the front and rear drive systems for highway passing?

Given how much better the 2018 is than our 2011, 2012's, I'm strongly inclined to trade in the 2012 as well, but trying to decide between another F60 S ALL4 or the PHEV.

Thanks for your advice and perspective...

Basically the electricity is consumed more in high speed. I normally drive in the highway with an Auto mode and the gas engine will be kicked in around 50 mph or in the battery save mode and the gas engine is kicked in around 77 mph. To drive smoothly, the auto mode is a good choice but make sure the battery is charged enough. If you may hit the traffic in the highway, the battery save mode is recommended in high speed and then the auto mode is selected in the traffic jam. Keep in mind that you need electricity from battery for eBoost or 4ALL. As I said before, the battery charging rate while driving is about 1% per 30 second and it depends on the driving behavior. In a low speed , you will feel vibration and noise from the 1.5L engine.

If you can charge easily or drive in cities mostly, a CM Hybrid maybe a good choice. BTW, I may suggest Active Driving Assist for Hybrid because of the quick acceleration from the electrical motors. When I accelerated with the electrical motors, the car in front of me just stopped suddenly and the Active Driving Assist warned me before I applied the brake

Last edited by pyuhlu; 09-24-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Birbilis
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there,
i would like to know more on the PHEV’s Highway performance. I will be doing a 27km (about 17 miles) route to work everyday. The battery will be full. The highway here in Crete (Greece] will allow for about 120km max speed. What efficiency should I expect? And will I get a convincing boost on passing with the gas pedal floored?
thanx for your time!