F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 CarPlay Terrible?

Old 10-19-2018, 04:57 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by iceknyght
And my wife calls me via the bluetooth connection everyday and it sounds great! Even if the windows are down! I've been impressed!
This reminded me to mention that when I use CarPlay to call someone else who I know also has an iPhone, I ask Siri to connect us using FaceTime audio instead of making a cell call. Generally the audio quality is a lot clearer and cleaner (bi-directionally); and the only time I had a data signal drop was in the California Central Valley, where the population is a lot more sparse meaning there are fewer cell towers in some places.
-Bob

The following users liked this post:
bratling (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by 18cmjcw
I can't figure out how to get emails list to display in CarPlay (or also OEM Mini mode)... I'm thinking that this is just not allowed in the USA vehicles. Also playing iTunes music is a problem, at least for what I have figured out... I cannot get the complete play lists on the phone to display on the OEM Mini screen, so selecting what I actually want to listen to is a pain in the butt.
Emails: you are unlikely ever to be able to access emails through CarPlay. Apple design is opinionated, and one of those opinions is that email is too attention intensive to be safe to do while driving. So, no email. (For the OEM “Office” functions you need to run the MINI Connected app on your iPhone, and connect to the USB port in the car.)

Playlists: this is one of the weirder things I’ve run into. If my car is connected to my phone via Bluetooth, only songs which have been downloaded to the phone already appear in playlists, and anything not already downloaded is skipped. (It’s as though the phone were an offline iPod!) If I connect via the USB port instead, I get full playlists with all songs listed, and anything that isn’t already on my phone just comes down via Apple Music.

So, grab your USB lightning cable and try connecting to the car that way. Both your MINI Connected email and playlist throubles should be resolved that way.

good luck!

18cmjcw (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:26 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling

Emails: you are unlikely ever to be able to access emails through CarPlay. Apple design is opinionated, and one of those opinions is that email is too attention intensive to be safe to do while driving. So, no email. (For the OEM “Office” functions you need to run the MINI Connected app on your iPhone, and connect to the USB port in the car.)

Playlists: this is one of the weirder things I’ve run into. If my car is connected to my phone via Bluetooth, only songs which have been downloaded to the phone already appear in playlists, and anything not already downloaded is skipped. (It’s as though the phone were an offline iPod!) If I connect via the USB port instead, I get full playlists with all songs listed, and anything that isn’t already on my phone just comes down via Apple Music.

So, grab your USB lightning cable and try connecting to the car that way. Both your MINI Connected email and playlist throubles should be resolved that way.

good luck!

Thanks very much for your detailed suggestions. Unfortunately, they just don't work for me. I connected the iPhone with the lightning cable but was not able to view email subjects using the MINI Connected app. There is a menu choice in the MINI (not CarPlay) interface in the car that says "Smartphone apps" but it is disabled (grayed-out) and I can only see it, not access it.

Interestingly, it appears to me that even though I am connected by cable to the USB port in the car, the connection is still being made over WiFi/Bluetooth. I tested this after I connecting to USB port by turning off the WiFi and Bluetooth in the iPhone. You would think that CarPlay would continue to work through the Lightning cable. But it doesn't. I think MINI has only enabled wireless access for CarPlay and the USB port is used only to charge an iPhone (BTW, this wireless access ability is touted elsewhere online as something special and not available on all automobile makes). Need to test more.

My iPhone is a 6 Plus model, which is about 4 years old. I'm also wondering whether my issues are related to the age of the phone. It's possible that even though I am running the latest OS in the phone, there may be something in the "older" 6 Plus hardware that is creating these problems. Need to test more.

Playlists.... I have all my music downloaded into the iPhone.... so that wasn't the problem. However, in further experimentation with Playlists, I found that I could see all my Playlists in the MINI CarPlay interface when I was not driving. Need to test more (sound familiar?) to verify if being at a standstill is required.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
-Bob

Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 AM
iamgrego
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm from Athens, Greece got a countryman All4, 2017. I got no carplay and I'm reading through this thread.

https://bimmer-unlock.com/collection...11082753474617

Is this gizzer up to date or the code will never come to me if I decide to buy? :D

I got no WIFI antenna, no touchscreen, is youtube or generally video playing after this update runs in the car? Anyone had massive hard stops to install and is bimmer unlock communicative?

Sorry for all the questions just being reluctant I'm sure I'll get over it :P

Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iamgrego
Hi Guys,

I'm from Athens, Greece got a countryman All4, 2017. I got no carplay and I'm reading through this thread.

https://bimmer-unlock.com/collection...11082753474617

Is this gizzer up to date or the code will never come to me if I decide to buy? :D

I got no WIFI antenna, no touchscreen, is youtube or generally video playing after this update runs in the car? Anyone had massive hard stops to install and is bimmer unlock communicative?
From the "Carplay finally!" thread here it seems you need the touchscreen NAV in order to retroactively activate CarPlay. (I installed on an April-build 2017 CM S All4.)

iamgrego (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 AM
iamgrego
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no clarity, some Countryman folks claim they done it, some clubman folks say I need the touchscreen. Just posting in case someone sees this and has actual experience on what's really happening / can happen.

Search this Thread