F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 F60 Dinan Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by booyun
So my dealer said that if he saw the Dinan on the car, he would 'flag' the vehicle to BMW/MINI and would not service the car if there were any engine issues. Given that the Elite comes with a full warranty, how many of you still install anyways (regardless of this warning from the dealer)?

I'm not exactly the 'mechanic' type so wouldn't trust myself to install / uninstall every time it goes in for service.

Not sure what to do...
is your Dealer a dinan dealer ? If so they will Work on the vehicle and maybe your guy just doesn’t know . If Not they can still work on the vehicle should anything occur and Dinan will pay that dealership directly for any warranty work . That is basically how their warranty program works . Fear not , install the unit it’s a great upgrade and with Dinan you are in good hands !

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dinan

I am glad this thread was brought back up. I have been thinking about the Dinan tune. Hate that for you Booyun. That's crap. I guess I should ask my dealer about that.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:46 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
So my dealer said that if he saw the Dinan on the car, he would 'flag' the vehicle to BMW/MINI and would not service the car if there were any engine issues. Given that the Elite comes with a full warranty, how many of you still install anyways (regardless of this warning from the dealer)?

I'm not exactly the 'mechanic' type so wouldn't trust myself to install / uninstall every time it goes in for service.

Not sure what to do...
Yeah lots of manufactures/dealers are not tuner friendly any longer. I'd suggest taking it somewhere else to get serviced or just remove it before you go it. You don't need to be mechanically inclined to install and/or remove it. Probably 5-10 minutes once you've done it once. I know plenty of Audi people who will go in and get full ECU re-flashes before bringing their car in - MUCH more work. Not to mention the service intervals on these are pretty wide - you'd only be doing it once a year most likely. I wouldn't let losers like the dude at your dealership discourage you. These types of stage 1 tunes are on millions of vehicles - they are not anywhere near the limits of the engines.

The following users liked this post:
Jwanck11 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFunk
Yeah lots of manufactures/dealers are not tuner friendly any longer. I'd suggest taking it somewhere else to get serviced or just remove it before you go it. You don't need to be mechanically inclined to install and/or remove it. Probably 5-10 minutes once you've done it once. I know plenty of Audi people who will go in and get full ECU re-flashes before bringing their car in - MUCH more work. Not to mention the service intervals on these are pretty wide - you'd only be doing it once a year most likely. I wouldn't let losers like the dude at your dealership discourage you. These types of stage 1 tunes are on millions of vehicles - they are not anywhere near the limits of the engines.
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, the service guy I spoke to seemed pretty nice and said they love seeing how people customize their MINIs, but also seemed pretty textbook and by the rules and said they were issued letters from the parent company stating the policy.

I already have the tuner in an unopened box sitting at home waiting to be installed. I just don't have my MINI yet (picking up tomorrow )and am debating whether to return the tuner and wait it out over the next few years before installing (post warranty) but that sort of defeats the purpose of the Elite's warranty, right?

Perhaps I need to open up the hood, once I get the car and see what it takes to get this thing installed / uninstalled each time I bring it in.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by subzero05
is your Dealer a dinan dealer ? If so they will Work on the vehicle and maybe your guy just doesn’t know . If Not they can still work on the vehicle should anything occur and Dinan will pay that dealership directly for any warranty work . That is basically how their warranty program works . Fear not , install the unit it’s a great upgrade and with Dinan you are in good hands !
No, they are not a Dinan dealer. All the Dinan dealers in my area are either BMW or independent shops. Not a single MINI dealer within 150 miles.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:59 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Maybe call Dinan and see if hey have someone ? It’s possible one of their Dinan bmw dealers will do it for you as a courtesy . Just a thought

Old 12-14-2017, 03:05 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, the service guy I spoke to seemed pretty nice and said they love seeing how people customize their MINIs, but also seemed pretty textbook and by the rules and said they were issued letters from the parent company stating the policy.

I already have the tuner in an unopened box sitting at home waiting to be installed. I just don't have my MINI yet (picking up tomorrow )and am debating whether to return the tuner and wait it out over the next few years before installing (post warranty) but that sort of defeats the purpose of the Elite's warranty, right?

Perhaps I need to open up the hood, once I get the car and see what it takes to get this thing installed / uninstalled each time I bring it in.
Don't wait for the warranty to expire. I'm waiting for break in period to be over then will buy a Dinan tune. So prob by spring. We only have 2k on the ODO - waiting till prob 5k then will do an oil change and tune.

The whole point to a piggy back tune (plug and play) is that you don't have to flash the ECU and do any permanent changes. There are some vids on youtube showing how easy it is to install.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:21 PM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I had my Elite installed by my Mini dealer in Denver when the service manager told me they install “a lot” of Dinan’s in brand new cars. He said he really liked them. So, I went ahead and had them install it before I was throught the breakin period. No regrets.
I’m sure I could have installed it easily; just worth the extra security of a dealer-installed option to me.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:42 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by I'mMelting
FWIW, I had my Elite installed by my Mini dealer in Denver when the service manager told me they install “a lot” of Dinan’s in brand new cars. He said he really liked them. So, I went ahead and had them install it before I was throught the breakin period. No regrets.
I’m sure I could have installed it easily; just worth the extra security of a dealer-installed option to me.
That's exactly what I was hoping for which is why I asked the dealer directly if they would do that for me.

It's just interesting to see how it varies from one dealer to another. I'm almost certain this letter has been widely distributed to all MINI dealers so everyone should be given notice. It's just a matter of how these dealers are I guess handling these notices.

I do however want to drive my JCW without the Dinan first. Just so I can have a decent before and after comparison. Who knows, maybe I'll be happy enough with the settings on the JCW that I don't need to do any further tuning....

Old 12-14-2017, 03:50 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
....also, the reason i'm so cautious is because I'm a former R56 owner who's engine died on me (ended up returning it as a lemon) so any chance of a repeat experience like that gives me concern and i certainly don't want the "warranty" issue to come up if I was hit with such luck again.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 AM
TheOriginalKonky
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I do however want to drive my JCW without the Dinan first. Just so I can have a decent before and after comparison. Who knows, maybe I'll be happy enough with the settings on the JCW that I don't need to do any further tuning....
I doubt it haha

Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheOriginalKonky
I doubt it haha
yea, who am i kidding

Old 12-17-2017, 08:50 AM
2012CM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
I have the Dinan Sport on my F60 S All4 and love it!

Easy to install/remove, and really does make a good upgrade for the $$$
Where (in Canada) did you get it from ?

The following users liked this post:
maxou723 (12-22-2020)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts

Not sure what to do...

Which dealer? Alexander Mini?

Old 12-17-2017, 03:42 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
The elite is just a couple sensor connections . Very easy to install/remove if needed . Any repair shop could easily do it as well . Super simple

Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Which dealer? Alexander Mini?
Camarillo

Old 01-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Seahawk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw someone asked this a while back but I didn’t see a response so I thought I’d bring it up again.

Has anyone tried this yet with the S E? I’m curious if it would work to get a little more performance out of the gas engine.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:39 AM
ltcvee
Neutral
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed the Dinan Sport on my 2017 CMS All4, following the written and YouTube video exactly. Started the car and got the dreaded CEL with a dire warning not to drive it. I uninstalled the unit and erased the CEL with my Scan Gauge. Anyone else had this experience ?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
malx
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to be doing the Elite ASAP. Waiting for my dealer to give me the details so I can schedule the upgrade. 2019 F60 Countryman here.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by malx
I'm going to be doing the Elite ASAP. Waiting for my dealer to give me the details so I can schedule the upgrade. 2019 F60 Countryman here.
The install is about as easy as peeling a banana. You may want to consider doing it yourself - I'm sure your dealer will charge you a nice install fee for 10 minutes of work.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 AM
malx
1st Gear
I have to bring my car to them to get a few things looked at anyways. They want an hour of labor for it. It’s worth it to me because If they are willing to do it if something gets messed up they can handle it.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
tuanyes84
Neutral
Just wondering if anyone has installed the Dinan Tune on an S E.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:59 PM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by tuanyes84
Just wondering if anyone has installed the Dinan Tune on an S E.
Pretty sure Dinan doesn't make a tuner for the SE.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:18 PM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by malx
I have to bring my car to them to get a few things looked at anyways. They want an hour of labor for it. It’s worth it to me because If they are willing to do it if something gets messed up they can handle it.
Honestly, you have to try really hard to mess it up. The instructions are super simple and very clear . It's only 3 plugs and they tell you how to route
the cable

Old 02-21-2019, 05:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Page back, but here it is:

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Dinantronic_Elite_F54_F57_24989/

D440-0051, D440-0052 are for the 1.5L (Cooper) and 2.0L ( Cooper S)

D440-0055, D440-0056 are for 2.0L ( JCW)

Thanks

Just an update we have 12/2014+ (aka F60 ones) Dianatronics back in stock with free shipping.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: F60 F60 Dinan Tune?