F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Need help on F60 headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:38 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Need help on F60 headlight questions

When I bought my car a week ago, I did know it had halogen headlights. Both my trucks had them and I converted them to LED's. I intend to on this one. I want to keep the stock healight housing. Now I'm noticing something.

My headlight housing isn't like I see on other Mini's on YouTube and threads, an opening cap in the back of the housing with very easy to the lamps. I have a screw on cap atop the housing for inner lamp and it seems slightly small for my larger hands. I will manage some how, but an wondering if this will accept the lamp and from what I seem to read a canbus that is needed.

Has anyone else done this for their F60 ? Might I ask which brand and canbus ? Like mention I have a somewhat larger hand, was if a real pain in the a$$ ?

The other lamp cap is in the fender well and seems like it will be easy.

Thanks for any info.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM
AnOldBiker
Come on people, I'm new in the Mini field. Trying to learn.
Does everyone here only buys and installs aftermarket parts and never improves stock ?
Give an old man a break ...

Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
Come on people, I'm new in the Mini field. Trying to learn.
Does everyone here only buys and installs aftermarket parts and never improves stock ?
Give an old man a break ...
I'm pretty sure every last one of us got the OEM LED headlamps. That's probably why no one has answered yet.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Same here. LED headlamps on 2018 F60 SE ALL4.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Ditto. LED headlights on my '17 ALL4.

When I had my '15 F56, I did have the halogens. However, I was lazy and just went the Silverstar bulb route. Worked well enough for me though it sounds like you're looking for something more. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by chipfiev
Ditto. LED headlights on my '17 ALL4.

When I had my '15 F56, I did have the halogens. However, I was lazy and just went the Silverstar bulb route. Worked well enough for me though it sounds like you're looking for something more. Good luck.
I have OEM LEDs on my 2014 F56. They're amazing! Getting them on my F60 was a no-brainer! I would never have even considered the halogens.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
I have OEM LEDs on my 2014 F56. They're amazing! Getting them on my F60 was a no-brainer! I would never have even considered the halogens.
We all make mistakes in moments of weakness...

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM
AnOldBiker
This one has what I wanted, but it came with the halogen headlights. To me this is nothing but a little project. I didn't want to order a car this time just for LED headlights, since this is something I've done in the past so many times. In the past, all the vehicles I bought had the halogen headlights and I did the conversion without problems. (way more room)

The room is very limited for the conversion. And as mentioned my hands are a bit on the large size for this. (But I will make it happen no matter what). I was wanting to know if there was anyone else that had accomplished this convertion for this year & model.

But thanks for your responces.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
This one has what I wanted, but it came with the halogen headlights. To me this is nothing but a little project. I didn't want to order a car this time just for LED headlights, since this is something I've done in the past so many times. In the past, all the vehicles I bought had the halogen headlights and I did the conversion without problems. (way more room)

The room is very limited for the conversion. And as mentioned my hands are a bit on the large size for this. (But I will make it happen no matter what). I was wanting to know if there was anyone else that had accomplished this convertion for this year & model.

But thanks for your responces.
The F60's are fairly new so I can almost guarantee no one has done this yet. My wife's '17 F60 has halogens but I would never put in LED lights. I have seem some reports of people who have done this to other cars and the temp's that the LED units run at are absolutely through the roof insanely hot. I would hate to know what would happen if the little fan in the unit's fails.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM
AnOldBiker
I've done this on my past trucks and cars I've owned throughout the years. The last two was my Dodge 2500 and my wifes Frontier. Never had an issue and will always use the when possible. I travel to the west coast every year to see our grandkids and most times travel at night. Better with less traffic and cover more mileage than in the day time. The distance viewing is great.

But I think I've found a set that will fit in the housing and the price wasn't bad. They will get here in tomorrows mail. Then, I pray they will fit and I can get this out of my hair. Yes they can get hot in the older versions, but the cooling fins now days are way better.

I would have like the headlights be LED from the manufacture, but I had a brain fart and didn't noticed when buying. Sucks getting old. But never bought a vehicle with stock LED's before and it was one of those I should have noticed moments that past before ya know it ...
Also, I'm just not into HIDs from pthers having them and their complaints before changing them out.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:31 AM
AnOldBiker
I found a place that sells LED's for the '17 Mini Country halogen headlights replacement that are smaller and fit with room !

HeadLight Experts
http://www.headlightexperts.com/carf...halogen-292303

They are having a sale on now and you can also get 10% off if it's our 1st order. I bought the LED's wih the built in canbus and they were here in 2 business days. And lifetime warrantee to boot.

The only way I could get them in with my hands were pulling the headlight housings out and installing them. They are fine and should improve the night time driving. But I did notice that when starting the car, the high beams flickered about 6 times before stopping, then it was fine. They all work properly. But I now have an order in for the Custom Gold Resistors/Decoders they sell to correct this. If I'd have known, I would have them now and paid 10% less with the original order.

So they do have products that will fit and work with the new countryman head lamps limited spaced housings.

And I learned in the future I will have my 12 year old grandson install headlight replacement and not having to remove the headlight housing.

The following users liked this post:
SWat604 (04-30-2018)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Holy Cow,

I've done this on my past trucks and cars I've owned throughout the years. The last two was my Dodge 2500 and my wifes Frontier. Never had an issue and will always use the when possible. I travel to the west coast every year to see our grandkids and most times travel at night. Better with less traffic and cover more mileage than in the day time. The distance viewing is great.

But I think I've found a set that will fit in the housing and the price wasn't bad. They will get here in tomorrows mail. Then, I pray they will fit and I can get this out of my hair. Yes they can get hot in the older versions, but the cooling fins now days are way better.

I would have like the headlights be LED from the manufacture, but I had a brain fart and didn't noticed when buying. Sucks getting old. But never bought a vehicle with stock LED's before and it was one of those I should have noticed moments that past before ya know it ...
Also, I'm just not into HIDs from pthers having them and their complaints before changing them out.
Interesting, 'Biker', I have been contemplating going LED lights on my 2500 Dodge Ram, since buying the Mini.
the Mini came with LED lights and they are simply awesome at night. They light up the road, and made me realize I need new headlights for the D-Ram. I also ordered a new set of LED's for our 2016 'Rubicon' ( its headlights sucked) so I am replacing those as well.

And also I was wondering how many other 'Mini' owners have a Dodge Ram 2500 CTD ? Could their be more ?
Mine is a 05, had it since it was a pup, has 42k miles on it now, and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Didn't mean to change the topic but I saw your post about 2500 Dodge .
awesome,
I will look at the website you posted, and ordered from, to see if they have a set for my D-Ram.
cool, I appreciate it !

Old 09-20-2017, 03:24 PM
AnOldBiker
I wish to retract my comment of the HeadLightExperts LED headlights for the Mini's.

I installed and they are fine, except they need the Resistors ... so I ordered them and they just arrived today.

BUT .. it was not mentioned in their website that there is a warning for them.

Per the insert that I've seen for the 1st time;
Thanks for purchasing these 6 ohm resistors.cancellers for your vehicle.
These resistors get VERY HOT. Please mount the gold resistor to metal only, and please keep it way from plasti/wiring.

Now this is the 1st time I've seen this and know knowing this, if anything happens .. it's on me. And since these need to go into my headlight housings .. I'm sort of between a rock and a hard place. Never had this before, since with my Dodge and wife Frontier .. this is not an issue.

So before talking to someone like HeadLightExperts, there are hidden things to consider.

SWat604 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM
SWat604
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey AnOldBiker, did you get yours sorted out? I'm in your boat too, but I may just have started rowing.

If yours for some reason hasn't worked out, I've researched pretty extensively at on this product:
Amazon Amazon

I'm sure there are many others that are similar including the ones you tried, but this one was so well reviewed and scouring through the comments section it's worked well on older Countrymans (R60). I've also asked them quite a few questions, and here's one of their more important responses:The headlight high beam is H7 and low beam is H7 for 2017 Mini Countryman All.
Note:
For Mini 2005 and up, the vehicle system is sensitive to the aftermarket parts. So if to replace to led headlight, it' s better to add led headlight decoders in addition to the bulbs to avoid flickering issue.
It's also been talked about here for other Mini models: http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge...t-upgrade.html

I'm likely to go this route versus just getting "whiter" halogens that have the "HID/LED look". I also researched extensively into that, and while it was a viable option the price isn't that far off from the plug and play LEDs. It was either going to be a Philips or Osram bulb, but in the end I saw enough reviews saying the performance is just nowhere near the plug and play LEDs.

After this, I'll be looking at replacing the factory foglights with either a LED bulb or one that is new casing with LED halo if you're into that look.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:10 PM
AnOldBiker
I apologize to all for not updating, but I found out my older brother just found out he has cancer and I put a hold on most any work around here. When your at our age .....

Here's an update. installed the headlights I had from Headlightexperts and used the BimmerCode App and they work fine. No other additions/parts needed like resistors. Plug and play ... and no flicker

But to play it safe I bought CanBus lights for the Daytime running lights and basically everything else. All is fine but the rear lights. I could change out the backup lights with LED's, and nothing else. Kept getting warnings of tail lights out.

But BimmerCode has a recent update and I haven't had time since to retry. When ever I get the chance, I'll update what I fine.

SWat604 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM
SWat604
Neutral
Thanks for following up, sorry to hear about your brother. Hope it's on the upswing.

It's very helpful, I was about the order the plug and play LEDs with resistors/decoder but now I'll just get the app and have it coded out.

So for the DRL / foglights you didn't get the same type of plug and play LEDs right? I've read that first of all they won't fit, and second they are too bright for fog light use and it would dangerous for other drivers.

I think all the other F70 owners are having a good chuckle here, hope all this helps for those that didn't get the package lol

Old 04-30-2018, 04:45 PM
AnOldBiker
My daytime running lights are PSX24W. I'm not sure, because I've seen them classed as Daytime running AND fog lights. But my car says it's daytime lights only.

When I find what I want .. I don't care where they come from. So I bought them in canbus from a Canadian outlet that had them on sale and plugged them in. Nothing extra done. BimmerCode them and done.

Not sure if they really needed to be canbus, but I wasn't taking a chance.

SWat604 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:51 PM
SWat604
Neutral
Thanks again, really to go know I didn't have to go the route of having to do the extra step of adding the resister/decoder. I hope you were able to return the resister/decoder you bought.

Are you happy with the LED PSX24W's, are they a good match with the new headlights?

My DRL are basically my foglights, not sure if that's the same with yours. But that uses a halogen bulb too, and it's cool that you can actually replace that with a LED bulb. It's a wonder why they just don't come with them in the first place...

I'll take pictures once I get it all done in case anyone else runs into all this.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:59 PM
AnOldBiker
I did mine within the 1st 500 miles on the clock. The car sat for a long time since my wife had a left knee replacement and we had to use her pickup during the winter and the mini sat. But so far I'm very happy with the set up.

I don't understand the use of halogen in anything in todays market with LED's so common and cheap. Heck, my whole house is lamped with LED's.

Only thing left is the rear lights on my mini. But sooner or later .. they to will be gone

Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 PM
SWat604
Neutral
That's exactly it. I'm perplexed on what it's not standard equipment by now, but such is a problem for not only Mini's but other luxury car brands. There's a hilarious video of someone who just bought a 70k MB GL that didn't have them, didn't know, and the video was them reviewing a pair of $30 lights.

Talking to most dealers, car manufacturers are phasing out HID's and replacing them with LED's and thus Halogens stuck around as the reliable, low cost alternative. As far as I know, I thought we were and have been in a time where LED's are already affordable. My wife doesn't seem to care but it sure bothers me lol.

I'll keep posted as well on my adventure with the rear LEDs. Thanks again!

Old 02-01-2019, 02:14 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
I know I'm responding to a really old post, but I am in the process of updating to LED. In Canada the LED option is packaged and costs $3K+ more - I couldn't bring myself to pay that. Anyway, I noted your reference to Bimmercode, but I'm not sure what you were using this to fix, or what the specific coding option you were using (I cannot see anything listed in Bimmercode that would seem to be applicable.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Never mind - I found it under voltage monitoring.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:48 AM
SWat604
Neutral
Originally Posted by Boneman
Never mind - I found it under voltage monitoring.
So you're good now, it works? Just have to change it for all the monitoring if you are doing more than just headlights.

I was in the same boat, wasn't about to spend 3k plus for the LED package. The only downside is not having the LED halo's but I can live with that. My headlights, fogs and DRL's are all LED's now. But including Bimmercode, the wifi OBD reader and all the lights it was probably around $200 give or take.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Orientation of the H7 led

A question again for old biker. Assuming the orientation on the LED's you used are adjustable, did you find a specific angle that works best or did you set them at a north south orientation (ie with the LEDs pointing east west)? I am installing SNGL bulbs which are infinitely adjustable and the instructions saying to rotate to the "optimal" position before tightening the lock screws...

Old 11-30-2019, 09:20 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
On my 2019 CMS replacing the bulbs is quite difficult. There aren't even any vids on youtube on this. Now removing the headlight seems to be the easiest thing to do but there are 2 Torx screws that look like they need to come out but it also looks like it is the adjustment screws to the headlight so I don't want to screw with it.

Quick Reply: F60 Need help on F60 headlight questions