F60 F60 PSA: Check your trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 PM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
F60 PSA: Check your trim

Just an FYI to new Countryman owners:

We came home last night and when I got out of the car, the rear window trim (between back door and rear window on both sides) was barely hanging on (how it didn't fly off the car, I have no idea)! Basically, it's held on with double sided tape! No clips, no screws, just tape (who thought that was a good idea). It wasn't really super hot yesterday (maybe low 90's), but apparently it was enough to have the trim not stick anymore.

I took it to Mini today and they ordered new trim pieces (hopefully with better "stick"), so we'll see if that does anything (we won't probably see that warm temps until summer next year now), but anyway, keep an eye out!

Also, I drove to the dealership with them off and there is a high-pitch whistle noise that is there without the trim... So they *are* there for a reason... But man, double sided tape?!

The following users liked this post:
AnOldBiker (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just an FYI to new Countryman owners:

We came home last night and when I got out of the car, the rear window trim (between back door and rear window on both sides) was barely hanging on (how it didn't fly off the car, I have no idea)! Basically, it's held on with double sided tape! No clips, no screws, just tape (who thought that was a good idea). It wasn't really super hot yesterday (maybe low 90's), but apparently it was enough to have the trim not stick anymore.

I took it to Mini today and they ordered new trim pieces (hopefully with better "stick"), so we'll see if that does anything (we won't probably see that warm temps until summer next year now), but anyway, keep an eye out!

Also, I drove to the dealership with them off and there is a high-pitch whistle noise that is there without the trim... So they *are* there for a reason... But man, double sided tape?!
------------------------------------------------------------
Holy crap!!! That's awful:-( Thank you for the FYI!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Just bought mine Saturday, now I'll have to look.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
It looks like it's just glued to the window's surface, and doesn't even wrap around the edge. What the hell is that??

Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 PM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks will watch. So far only my cup holder is kaput.

On the R60 never had a trim or cup holder issue just turbos and clutches. I will take a few minor issues if the big stuff is better.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by darex
It looks like it's just glued to the window's surface, and doesn't even wrap around the edge. What the hell is that??
It wraps a *little*, but yeah, it's a horrible design... And it's not even glued (glue would have at least been better), it's just double sided 3M tape!

Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Thanks will watch. So far only my cup holder is kaput.

On the R60 never had a trim or cup holder issue just turbos and clutches. I will take a few minor issues if the big stuff is better.
Your cup holder? Ours has been fine, what's happening with yours?

And yeah, if I have a few trim problems (that are covered under warranty) and that's all (*knocks on wood*), then I'll be fine...

Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
My wifes 2017 CM justa does not even have that trim.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:04 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trentiles
My wifes 2017 CM justa does not even have that trim.
That's not good! I would ask about that... Does it makes whistling sounds on the freeway?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:12 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by iceknyght
That's not good! I would ask about that... Does it makes whistling sounds on the freeway?
Not that I have ever noticed. Just the insane noise from the run flats.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:38 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
That's good, I suppose... LOL! Our runflats are relatively quiet (or the cabin is probably sealed better), compared to our 2012!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I won't notice the significant noise from a 1.5 L engine on SE until I open the window

Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The one's in the front on the inside of the door close to the windshield are literally set in there even without double sided tape!! I opened the door and one just fell on the ground and I was like wth. Keep an eye out for that as well as if I would have not been parked on cement / pavement, I wouldn't have heard it even hit the ground. :(

The following users liked this post:
Islandbluemini (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 11:13 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
What the hell? Are any of the trim pieces on this car actually secured in any way?

Trim pieces are falling off our cars and I haven't even made the first payment yet! This does not fill me with warm fuzzy feelings...

Thanks for posting! Definitely let your Mini dealer know!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
What the hell? Are any of the trim pieces on this car actually secured in any way?

Trim pieces are falling off our cars and I haven't even made the first payment yet! This does not fill me with warm fuzzy feelings...

Thanks for posting! Definitely let your Mini dealer know!
I'll be checking this out when I see mine tomorrow!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
noise

Originally Posted by trentiles
Not that I have ever noticed. Just the insane noise from the run flats.
This ^ Goodyears right ? If its new pavement they are pretty quiet, the tires only have 458 miles. If its older pavement, its a pretty loud roar.
Its ok, we're use to Jeeps
The motor more than makes up for the noise
All trim in place at this time : )

Have a good one!

Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 AM
darex
5th Gear
I haven't noticed any loose trim other than the usual chrome MINI stuff around the bottoms of the windows, which just sit across the bare metal edges. I purposely got all-seasons, and I have Bridgestone Turanza tires, which seem pretty quiet. Road noise was less than I was expecting. It certainly doesn't draw attention to itself.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by darex
I haven't noticed any loose trim other than the usual chrome MINI stuff around the bottoms of the windows, which just sit across the bare metal edges. I purposely got all-seasons, and I have Bridgestone Turanza tires, which seem pretty quiet. Road noise was less than I was expecting. It certainly doesn't draw attention to itself.
We have the all seasons too and same, the road noise isn't that bad, especially compared to our 2012 Countryman. The interior of our '18 is super quiet compared to our '12!

I also checked our interior trim and it seems okay for now... I didn't pull super hard, but it seemed pretty snug in there, but I'll keep watching it...

Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting... More trim issues on first year Countrymen

When I bought my 2011 Countryman, one of the most frustrating issues I had was the fact that the trim pieces were falling off the car in the first week. It took 3 months to get a fix. A large number of the first year vehicles had this issue. It was pretty embarrassing to show off your new car, and having to explain why the trim was falling off.

Now, the new Countryman comes out, and they have problems keeping the trim on the vehicle. Amazing how they didn't learn from the first time.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick
When I bought my 2011 Countryman, one of the most frustrating issues I had was the fact that the trim pieces were falling off the car in the first week. It took 3 months to get a fix. A large number of the first year vehicles had this issue. It was pretty embarrassing to show off your new car, and having to explain why the trim was falling off.

Now, the new Countryman comes out, and they have problems keeping the trim on the vehicle. Amazing how they didn't learn from the first time.
What sort of trim pieces?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
The 2011's had all the window trim pieces fail due to the chrome film peeling away. The car looked like it was shedding tinsel as the chrome fell off. It took three months for another supplier to manufacture the new trim pieces. There were many posts about this issue back in 2011.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM
MatthewH12
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wildone3c
The one's in the front on the inside of the door close to the windshield are literally set in there even without double sided tape!! I opened the door and one just fell on the ground and I was like wth. Keep an eye out for that as well as if I would have not been parked on cement / pavement, I wouldn't have heard it even hit the ground. :(

Ours did that like the 2nd week we had it on a particularly hot day. I just jammed it back on and up (it slides up....like wtf? If it slid DOWN into place it wouldn't come loose as easily!) into the notches, and it's stayed put so far.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
My local dealer says that they have received 5 new Countryman cars with the rear window trim piece missing completely! Either it was not installed at the factory, or it fell off somewhere along the way to the dealer. Seems odd that the factory would release a car with trim missing.

David

Old 10-17-2017, 12:53 PM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HamsterDR
My local dealer says that they have received 5 new Countryman cars with the rear window trim piece missing completely! Either it was not installed at the factory, or it fell off somewhere along the way to the dealer. Seems odd that the factory would release a car with trim missing.

David
Yikes!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually coming off after installation... The passenger side of ours was not sticky at all (the driver's side was at least somewhat sticky)... I still think it was a horrible design choice. And I wouldn't be surprised if they get another uptick in trim falling off next summer (if they don't fix this problem before then)...

It's been over a month now since I brought mine into my dealer and haven't heard back yet on the replacement parts. My Service guy told me upfront though that it was probably going to be at least a month before they got the replacement parts in (new vehicle plus parts would be coming from across the pond)...

Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Yikes!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually coming off after installation... The passenger side of ours was not sticky at all (the driver's side was at least somewhat sticky)... I still think it was a horrible design choice. And I wouldn't be surprised if they get another uptick in trim falling off next summer (if they don't fix this problem before then)...

It's been over a month now since I brought mine into my dealer and haven't heard back yet on the replacement parts. My Service guy told me upfront though that it was probably going to be at least a month before they got the replacement parts in (new vehicle plus parts would be coming from across the pond)...
My passenger side rear trim is loose as well and noticeably has more space between the top of it and the spoiler tail. The driver's side is somewhat sticky and alignment is closer to the top of the spoiler. Going to follow-up with my dealer to check this out as well. I'm watching it carefully every time I return home after driving. I agree that's it's a poor design

BTW....my issue of loose trim are the two wing edges between the rear windows that wrap the edges to the back hatch window. All other trims shown on this thread seem to be secure.

Last edited by Islandbluemini; 10-17-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added comment