F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Cooper SE Countryman ALL 4 - PHEV. Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, can an admin move this thread to the F60 section? Please and thank you!

Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It is the 6th week and the average mpg is 63.5. The 2nd tank almost runs out

If I turn AC on in the electricity mode, it will consume 1% of the battery power to run AC for 4 minutes or so

Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This YouTube reviewer is claiming 5.7 seconds 0-60 using a stopwatch. Not bad!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
I have only pushed Ethel to the floor once. The hand on the power display pegs to Eboost and it goes zoom. It feels faster off the line than my JCW R60, especially since I don't have to shift.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 PM
jse75
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pyuhlu
It is the 6th week and the average mpg is 63.5. The 2nd tank almost runs out

If I turn AC on in the electricity mode, it will consume 1% of the battery power to run AC for 4 minutes or so
Wow, that's amazing!

If I may ask - are you mainly running in Max E-drive mode or Auto mode?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Toddnorm
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question for you, MINI claims the occasional use 120 volt charger will charge in 6-7 hours. Have you found this to be accurate? Or does it take longer?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:59 AM
jse75
Neutral
I think 5-7 hours is typical. When I was using the 110V charger, it never fully charged if I took the car out multiple times per day. And when I leave it in overnight, I don't keep track. But the TurboCord charges at 3.5 kW which is much faster and charges completely in more or less two hours. Highly recommended.

Right now I am getting 61 mpg based on the distance/type of driving I do and the ability to charge it between morning and afternoon activities (I work from home, so it's perfect for me...). Pretty amazing since it ain't a Prius...

Old 02-03-2018, 04:34 AM
jtcooper
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, it takes about 7 hours to charge. When you plug it in, there’s a time on the instrument cluster, which I believe is the time when the battery will be fully charged - it ends up being in around 7 hrs for me.

As how others have stated, your mpg will really all depends on how much around town driving you do. My wife has a 50 mile commute, with only about 10-15 miles of it being on suburban roads. The bulk of it is highway, and she doesn’t have the ability to charge at work. Her usual gas mileage is around 34-36 mpg. Not nearly as good as others, but still great, given that it's still better than the gas trims (and was close to the same price with the tax credits), and comparable to say, the RAV4 Hybrid (but a lot more fun ). I know this may be rationalizing though...

On longer trips, it's about the same as a normal car. We averaged 28-29 mpg on a recent 700 mile road trip, only charging the battery twice. Again, I don't think this is not too far off from a RAV 4 Hybrid.

I have yet to take the car for a few days in a row for my commute - I am curious of what my results would be (similar commute as hers, but I am able to charge at work).

Old 02-03-2018, 06:00 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
7 hours is a good estimate. However, it may take longer in the cold seasons due to the battery efficiency

As to mpg, it is ymmv. I used to get 68 mpg but 58 now in the winter. My suggestion is that you may schedule the precondition with the 110/220V outlets in the cold weather so that you can start with the electric mode first

I may drive my SE during MTTS 2018 but not sure if I can enjoy the electric mode most. Definitely a portable charger may be a need in case the 110/220V outlets are available during the trip

Last edited by pyuhlu; 02-03-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Toddnorm
Neutral
Okay, thanks, I'm asking for a friend who just purchased a countryman hybrid. They have left it plugged in all night about 9 hours and have only got it to about 80% it could be just the cold, although they do park it in the garage. Is there something that they could do to decrease the charge time on the 120 volt.

I will probably recommend they look into a 240 volt charger as well.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 AM
jtcooper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Toddnorm
Okay, thanks, I'm asking for a friend who just purchased a countryman hybrid. They have left it plugged in all night about 9 hours and have only got it to about 80% it could be just the cold, although they do park it in the garage. Is there something that they could do to decrease the charge time on the 120 volt.

I will probably recommend they look into a 240 volt charger as well.
Actually, I think there is a setting in the menu that can slow down the charging speed with the regular 120V charger. I think by default it’s set to the slower speed - have them change it to maximum, which is what I changed ours to.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:10 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Really depends on the temperature. It always charge slowly in the cold weather. If the garage is warm or heated, it may speed up the battery charging
I heard a heater may warm up the battery in the cold weather automatically. I always charge the battery all the time in the cold weather even if the car is parked

Last edited by pyuhlu; 02-03-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Toddnorm
Neutral
Originally Posted by jtcooper

Actually, I think there is a setting in the menu that can slow down the charging speed with the regular 120V charger. I think by default it’s set to the slower speed - have them change it to maximum, which is what I changed ours to.
Thanks, I let them know and we changed it, That should help.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jtcooper

this is true. I charge to 100% in 3:15 hours on setting maximum. But i don’t know if there’s a difference with the 220 charger because i live in Holland.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Frau Schmidt
Neutral
New member here, but have been reading for a long time. Thank you for a very helpful forum. We are planning on getting an F60 as our second car and are struggling to decide whether to get the SE PHEV or the JCW. It won’t be used much, maybe 3-4 days a week for short trips, mostly city driving. We like the fuel efficiency of the SE (it will replace a BMW i3) and the fact we’d get carpool access. Our other car is a plug in as well and my wife depends on the carpool access for her commute, and so with the SE we could trade cars based on who needs the big car that day. But the JCW is also intriguing. With everything going plug in and autonomous, the idea of having a sporty car with a manual while we still can means a lot (we used to have a 2011 Cooper S hardtop manual and miss it dearly).

One worry with the SE is that some reviews said it gets sluggish when the battery runs out and so you should regularly charge it. We live on a steep hill and I’m worried about that at the end of a commute/trip when your are out of battery. Has that been your experience? And what about highway driving - is there usually enough power to pass?

THANK YOU all in advance for your replies! Can’t wait to have a Mini again!

Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Frau Schmidt
New member here, but have been reading for a long time. Thank you for a very helpful forum. We are planning on getting an F60 as our second car and are struggling to decide whether to get the SE PHEV or the JCW. It won’t be used much, maybe 3-4 days a week for short trips, mostly city driving. We like the fuel efficiency of the SE (it will replace a BMW i3) and the fact we’d get carpool access. Our other car is a plug in as well and my wife depends on the carpool access for her commute, and so with the SE we could trade cars based on who needs the big car that day. But the JCW is also intriguing. With everything going plug in and autonomous, the idea of having a sporty car with a manual while we still can means a lot (we used to have a 2011 Cooper S hardtop manual and miss it dearly).

One worry with the SE is that some reviews said it gets sluggish when the battery runs out and so you should regularly charge it. We live on a steep hill and I’m worried about that at the end of a commute/trip when your are out of battery. Has that been your experience? And what about highway driving - is there usually enough power to pass?

THANK YOU all in advance for your replies! Can’t wait to have a Mini again!
When the hybrid's battery pack is drained all that's left motivating the SE and its additional 600 pounds of weight (nearly two tons altogether) is the same 134 HP, 1.5L, 3-cylinder engine that powers the base FWD/AWD Countryman. I'd expect 0-60 acceleration to be at least 10 seconds but someone that knows first hand might be able to give you a more precise figure.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 AM
jtcooper
1st Gear
I have not timed it myself, but I am under the impression that even when the battery is drained down to ~10%, electric power still will kick in to provide a few additional horses to get the car moving up to ~60 mph. If done repeatedly, then I assume you will eventually drain the battery to the point where it has little to add.

In in terms of highway passing, yes it is slower than expected. This really applies to accelerating to like 90 mph for passing (not done often). Unfortunately the only car I have to compare it to is my stage 1 B8.5 S4. Sport does seem to make a difference. Of note, my wife’s previous car, the F56 Cooper S, was definitely better than this car, but this one is not THAT bad.

This car is truly ideal for short commutes - which allows it to use mostly battery. From our experience, the hybrid benefits go away with a lot of highway driving - but it still gets similar mpgs to a RAV 4 hybrid, but with far more fun!

Last edited by jtcooper; 02-14-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Birbilis
1st Gear
Translating from a test of the german Auto Motor und Sport:
" the Cooper SE comes as standard with four-wheel drive, which even with empty battery still works. Because of a belt-driven high-voltage starter generator, the petrol engine then provides the necessary energy for driving the rear wheels."
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-12784283.html
Maybe the same principle applies to acceleration when battery is low...

Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM
macarius
Neutral
I have not found the SE PHEV to be underpowered at all, but I was driving an underpowered hybrid SUV by another manufacturer for 10 years before I got this car. I've found that it is very easy on the highway (and back roads) to exceed the speed limits and it is agile in typical highway traffic where I live. At highway speeds, I don't think I'm ever using the battery at all. On back country roads, if the battery has enough charge, I can drive short distances on just the battery alone. When the battery power drops too low on my commute, the gas engine kicks in but I experience no loss of power/speed. Because I can charge at work and at home, I'm averaging around 50 - 60 mpg gas. On a long highway trip, the mileage drops closer to 30 mpg. So far, I'm very happy with its performance. I initially hoped that I would require fewer trips to the gas station, but because of the small gas tank, I get gas just as frequently, but a lot less of it. Hope this helps, and I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
kwhilden
Neutral
My report after 1200 miles

I have an SE plug-in Countryman with about 1200 miles. My work commute is a few miles, so I don't have to use gas at all.

Same with the commute to my local surf break, which is the primary reason I bought this car. There aren't many options to get a plug-in with roof racks and space inside for storing surfboards. I thought aboutan Audi Etron, but it was too small inside.

My lifetime fuel economy is about 43 mpg. Since my last fillup, it's at 48mpg. Not too shabby... better than the 40mpg from my prior car (a VW TDI wagon).

I love how the car drives. Very fun, very easy. Accelerating in electric-only mode is solid with plenty of torque.

Even better, it's not a Prius. Every third car in California is a Prius. Ugh

I wish it had longer electric range and was certified for carpool lane stickers in California. But I knew that going in, and bought the car anyway.

My only real gripe is the almost completely useless information display on the hybrid energy flow. I like to know how my car is performing, and this display is almost a complete joke. Otherwise the dashboard is pretty good. I didn't order the navigation option, since I knew that would be useless too.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Snurfer
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kwhilden
I have an SE plug-in Countryman with about 1200 miles. My work commute is a few miles, so I don't have to use gas at all.

Same with the commute to my local surf break, which is the primary reason I bought this car. There aren't many options to get a plug-in with roof racks and space inside for storing surfboards. I thought aboutan Audi Etron, but it was too small inside.

My lifetime fuel economy is about 43 mpg. Since my last fillup, it's at 48mpg. Not too shabby... better than the 40mpg from my prior car (a VW TDI wagon).

I love how the car drives. Very fun, very easy. Accelerating in electric-only mode is solid with plenty of torque.

Even better, it's not a Prius. Every third car in California is a Prius. Ugh

I wish it had longer electric range and was certified for carpool lane stickers in California. But I knew that going in, and bought the car anyway.

My only real gripe is the almost completely useless information display on the hybrid energy flow. I like to know how my car is performing, and this display is almost a complete joke. Otherwise the dashboard is pretty good. I didn't order the navigation option, since I knew that would be useless too.
Yeah! A fellow surfer here who bought the SE for very similar reasons. I'm probably over 2,000 miles and right a 42 mpg, which would be higher except for a few longer journeys that sucked down some gas.

I find that on longer journeys I like to keep some battery, but don't like the Save mode, as it drops the mpg quite a bit. I just put it in Green Mode and then slap the stick over to sport when I'm on the hwy and put it in 6th gear. That keeps the car from eating through the battery so that I have some juice left for driving around town at my destination.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
I honestly don’t understand how a Toyota hybrid (not plugin) can do 56mpg easy peasy where we have to charge almost every day half of a month to get that figure. These are very uneconomical if you think about that comparison. I charge about 4 to 5 times a month and get an mpg of 40! And thrn i have to calculate the electricity charging. Then it would be less economical. Unless you charge it almost every day it isn’t cheap driving at all. It should at least be as economical as a Toyota without charging if you ask me. But what a horrendous driving experience a Toyota hr-v has. Had a test drive this week. Omg. Horrible. Loud. Slow. Loud!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 PM
discretesound
Neutral
Vs jcw

How does it compare to the JCW in terms of overtaking speed?

Old 07-08-2018, 12:40 AM
OrangeCrushTX
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a former Prius owner I can affirm that the Toyota blows the SE MINI out of the water when it comes to fuel economy. There is no question about that. But it comes with severe sacrifices. While the Prius has 2x the electric range of a e-MINI it will never do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and will never be even remotely fun to drive. A hybrid of any kind is a compromise on wheels. The e-MINI is the best BMW engineers could come up with to create a car that is fuel efficient and still fun to drive. A Prius is focused primarily to get the best gas mileage at all cost, to heck with fun to drive.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:57 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
I haven’t driven the jcw, people who have on youtube are surprised. But without comparing i am surprised every time when i put it in sport mode and floor the gas pedal. It is very very quick. I think it is really not an economical car to begin with. First months i was bummed by that. I couldn’t understand how i simple hybrid of Toyota can do 5.0/100 km’s easy peasy where my mini if i wouldn’t charge it but with a much much bigger battery and bigger electric range can’t get better mileage then 8.5ltr/100km. But i didn’t charge it much then also. I drove an auris hybrid and even considered a C-HR. They had both zero driving character. Zero. Very loud engine. It is just an economical thrust worthy car. But zero fun if you ask me. Mini on the other end is a lot of fun. Quiet. Fast. Beautiful materials. And nowadays i plug it in almost every 2 days. Try every day but not there yet. It is getting way more economical now. Latest i got was 4ltr/100km. And i calculated last weekend the more i charge it the more it really gets cheaper to drive.

But to sume up, it is quick. To 100km/h it really is super quick. After that though it is less quick but quick enough for me. I drive it 95% slow. When i need it the power is really there. Look at all the YouTube videos. There are enough comparison reviews.