F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Manual or Automatic... I CANNOT decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:52 PM
curtyv
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own a F56 S with a manual transmission and have driven a couple of the F56 autos as loaners for a few days while my car was in for maintenance. I don't really like the automatic transmission on the F56 for two reasons:

1) On both automatic cars (Justa and S) I drove, the transmission had a tendency to lurch at low speeds. Like while driving in heavy traffic, or rolling up to a signal. This had me constantly on edge with my brake pedal application while at low speed.
2) The manual is so much fun.

My Mini is my daily, and I drive in a lot of traffic. Long stretches of gridlock traffic can be a bit of a bummer sometimes, but it never outweighs the fun of driving a manual on an open road. If I were to switch to an automatic, I'd probably be looking at a different type of car (i.e. not a hot hatch).

Old 11-05-2017, 07:42 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by curtyv
I own a F56 S with a manual transmission and have driven a couple of the F56 autos as loaners for a few days while my car was in for maintenance. I don't really like the automatic transmission on the F56 for two reasons:

1) On both automatic cars (Justa and S) I drove, the transmission had a tendency to lurch at low speeds. Like while driving in heavy traffic, or rolling up to a signal. This had me constantly on edge with my brake pedal application while at low speed.
2) The manual is so much fun.

My Mini is my daily, and I drive in a lot of traffic. Long stretches of gridlock traffic can be a bit of a bummer sometimes, but it never outweighs the fun of driving a manual on an open road. If I were to switch to an automatic, I'd probably be looking at a different type of car (i.e. not a hot hatch).
I never experience the lurch you speak of. That includes my car and the couple of loaners I've driven. The auto does tend to buck or lurch a bit on take off from a dead stop (almost feels like what one would feel when letting a clutch out on a manual transmission during normal operation). Something I had to adjust to coming for a car that doesn't display that behavior. (likely attributed to the electronic throttle as my BMW M240i displayed a similar behavior until I added a Dinan Stage 1 tune)

Auto shifts quite briskly under hard acceleration and will likely be faster if measured against an identical car w/ a stick.

That being said, picking between a auto or stick is really a personal choice. I can drive a stick, but would never care to own one unless it was a off road recreational vehicle where driving is the sole purpose of operation. In traffic, commuting, or traveling, the automatic is so much easier. Others feel just the opposite (which I certainly respect).

One consideration, the Auto will be more desirable when you trade or sell. Sale numbers indicate this.

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...115-story.html

Lastly, buy the car you want whatever the pros or cons are. You are going to be the one driving it.

Last edited by USA-RET; 11-05-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:32 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I never experience the lurch you speak of. That includes my car and the couple of loaners I've driven. The auto does tend to buck or lurch a bit on take off from a dead stop (almost feels like what one would feel when letting a clutch out on a manual transmission during normal operation). Something I had to adjust to coming for a car that doesn't display that behavior. (likely attributed to the electronic throttle as my BMW M240i displayed a similar behavior until I added a Dinan Stage 1 tune)

Auto shifts quite briskly under hard acceleration and will likely be faster if measured against an identical car w/ a stick.

That being said, picking between a auto or stick is really a personal choice. I can drive a stick, but would never care to own one unless it was a off road recreational vehicle where driving is the sole purpose of operation. In traffic, commuting, or traveling, the automatic is so much easier. Others feel just the opposite (which I certainly respect).

One consideration, the Auto will be more desirable when you trade or sell. Sale numbers indicate this.

Lastly, buy the car you want whatever the pros or cons are. You are going to be the one driving it.
I agree! But, one thing I always notice when watching car enthusiast shows on tv, auctions, etc. is that whenever the tv person notices it’s a manual transmission car they light up and that seems to indicate the value goes up as well! ;-). So, I don’t really agree that automatics demand better used car values...maybe for people who can’t drive a stick but for me my enthusiasm for a car goes up when I see 3 pedals! As time passes I believe the more rare manual transmission cars will be even more valuable, especially cars like the MINI JCW!

Old 11-06-2017, 03:45 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
With a manual you cannot:

Put on your makeup
Text
Change songs constantly
Never look at speedo or tach
Tailgate constantly
Wear high heal boots
Pet your dog (or kid)
Remove or add clothing
Not pay attention to what you are doing (like driving)

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:00 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I agree! But, one thing I always notice when watching car enthusiast shows on tv, auctions, etc. is that whenever the tv person notices it’s a manual transmission car they light up and that seems to indicate the value goes up as well! ;-). So, I don’t really agree that automatics demand better used car values...maybe for people who can’t drive a stick but for me my enthusiasm for a car goes up when I see 3 pedals! As time passes I believe the more rare manual transmission cars will be even more valuable, especially cars like the MINI JCW!
When i used to look at a sports car, the first thing i would look at was if the car had 3 pedals. I first became aware of the changing trend with the Corvettes, years ago. My initial thought was, "wow, someone would buy an automatic Corvette?". (The first few years of Corvettes were 2 speed automatic trannies and terribly underpowered, so i don't count them.)

The sports cars i grew up loving, the British cars (MG, Austin Healy, Triumph) and the German sports cars (Porsche (BMW wasn't much around then)), and most American muscle (GTO, 442, Mustang, Corvette), were pretty much synonymous with 3 pedals. I love driving my MINI, going through the gears, smooth downshifting by blipping the throttle (not the new automatic rev matching), finding the right gear to take the next corner... etc.

And per SMFCS's funny earlier post, i don't wear makeup, always watch my tach, and don't play the radio... I'm just a hardcore old school / fart...

Last edited by signcarver; 11-06-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added SMFCS's
Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by signcarver
-Those of us enthusiasts that frequent this board and the various MINI facebook groups are a small minority of MINI owners. The rest are normal people.
I was delighted to inform my wife that, according to a true MINI enthusiast, I am a "normal" person (We paid the big bucks to get the 8 speed sport auto tranny with paddles on our Clubman S All4, and we got the JCW steering wheel so we can... pretend.)

NEVER imagined I'd drive a car with an automatic. Learned to drive on a Volvo 122S with a 4-speed manual and a 1968 Porsche 912 with a manual 4 speed. Continued owning cars with stick shifts, as did my wife -- she even custom ordered a BUICK stationwagon with a 5 speed manual -- had to wait months for delivery and had to pay EXTRA over the cost of the automatic.

Then the early Jeep Cherokee Limited only came with an automatic, so, since I wanted the yuppie Jeep, I got the slushbox. After that it's been Jags and Range Rovers, all automatics. The 8-speed in our MINI is by far the best, most well-sorted tranny I've ever operated. A heck of a lot better than the 9-speed on our last Range Rover.

Season for everything. I hope MINI retains the manuals for those who want them. Paddles will never be the same as working a clutch. But I feel no need to row gears anymore. I've become... a normal person.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Season for everything. I hope MINI retains the manuals for those who want them. Paddles will never be the same as working a clutch. But I feel no need to row gears anymore. I've become... a normal person.
Normal is good... in fact, it's all good!

Love the old Volvos. I had a Swedish Racing Green PV544 in the mid-60s. Loved the car until the dual carbs caught on fire one night when my wife was 8 months pregnant.

The Volvo 122 and the older Saab 96 are two of my favorites. Sometimes the automakers screw up a good thing when they revise the styling. Porsche is a prime example... they keep getting bigger and uglier... imo That said, if someone wanted to give me a manual GT3, i would take it.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
FWIW, today we were given a 2016 4-door Justa service loaner. 10,000 miles on the odometer with the 6 speed auto transmission. This car hauls right along and the tranny does its thing fairly seamlessly. Not as refined as the fully-kitted Clubman S All4, but impressive, for a nuts-and-bolts loaner car.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Forgot a couple:

Brush teeth
Shave
Hold phone 6" away from face as to talk. Put phone on speaker. Will not get ticket as phone is "hands free".
Eat a burrito.

Just got back, Saturday from a 2,500 road trip that went through Oklahoma and especially Missouri. Saw it all but it cost over $25 in tolls to escape Oklahoma. On "Interstate" highways.

IMHO, real MINIs , as in Cooper, have 2 doors, manual, and front wheel drive. Even the old pickups had 2 doors. Ford and GM learned about autos. Mustangs and Camaros, that want to have fun at a stop light with my MCS, all have manuals gearboxes.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SFMCS

IMHO, real MINIs , as in Cooper, have 2 doors, manual, and front wheel drive. Even the old pickups had 2 doors. Ford and GM learned about autos. Mustangs and Camaros, that want to have fun at a stop light with my MCS, all have manuals gearboxes.
Today I have learned that I am a normal person (please don't tell people who know me as they might argue this point) AND I learned that I don't drive a real MINI. Oh well...

Old 11-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
With a manual you cannot:

Put on your makeup
Text
Change songs constantly
Never look at speedo or tach
Tailgate constantly
Wear high heal boots
Pet your dog (or kid)
Remove or add clothing
Not pay attention to what you are doing (like driving)
Brush teeth
Shave
Hold phone 6" away from face as to talk. Put phone on speaker. Will not get ticket as phone is "hands free".
Eat a burrito.
Back when I was a kid and in college I could have done most of those things while driving a manual shift car. Had to drive pretty much one handed for a few months. Not easy but holding the wheel steady with your thighs is doable.
IMO you ain't a real driver unless you can do that for a few thousand miles.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:25 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Hey Moocher, when you were in college the US population was half of what it is today and there was no cell phone texting!

After talking to some BMW personal, it appears that MINI's original plan was to make the MINI as a start for the young professional as an entry level vehicle. As they matured, they would graduate to a real BMW. After 18 years, one stated to me that their demographics was wrong. It is not about age or social demographic, as he stated, "it is a state of mind."

It is obvious. They tried the concept of the 2 seater and did not do it. Our 2002 was a great car. My wife's R55 coupe was a poor attempt (no, the roof does not come off. No, I cannot see out of the back). My F56 has too much "stuff" on it. Perhaps they need to make a customizable basic JCW and make the other models to compete with Subaru, Scion, and everybody else.

By the way, Consumer Reports still says the manual transmissions are more fuel efficient in most cars, depending on transmission. Kkind of surprised it is not a law in California. Maybe manuals cause cancer in California?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The whole state is cancerous.

Kkind of surprised it is not a law in California. Maybe manuals cause cancer in California?

Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FunToMini
The whole state is cancerous.
Yes. And we are contagious. Don't come here. Tell all the folks who have moved here recently, and there are millions of them, that they should leave before they get infected. When they're gone, we'll have less traffic and it will be possible to have a stick shift again without enduring left leg cramps from working the clutch in the gridlocked stop-and-go that is now constant here..

Old 11-07-2017, 03:13 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I had a manual R56 MCS and now an auto R58 JCW Coupe. Love em both. I did drive my friends' auto F56 MCS a bit and I can tell you compared to my JCW it wants to be in a higher gear. Mine wants 4th at 40 mph hers wanted 5th both in Sport mode. Mine goes into 5th at 50 mph. I like my AT just fine though.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:54 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
2017All4,
I will be there in DEC and taking the MINI driving class in Thermal. In JCW AUTOMATICS!(it has been said that MINI got tired of replacing clutches).

All joking aside, I would go with the auto if:

It was my only vehicle and I had long, busy commutes.
Live in a flat, eventful landscape with no curves.
Not be able to take a "fun" drive every couple of weeks.
Had to use the car for business.
Make frequent and short runs on errands.
Never drove in ice, snow, heavy rains.

I would even consider a 4 door if:

If I had more than one passenger frequently.
Used it for business.
Had relatives visit often.
Had a pet larger than a ferret (which we have 2).

Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Originally Posted by FunToMini
I wont be making my purchase until after the new refresh comes out, and I hear that the new transmissions will be out then as well, so I will need to drive the new auto at that time, but this has been surprising to me on how many have said manual. I was under the impression that no one really drove a manual these days.
A question for your original question, how old are you?

I would think it is quite difficult to text while shifting. I am not real big into government telling me what I have to do but if they told the car and phone manufacturers that they had to make systems that would not allow texting or viewing the phone screen while the car was in motion, I would not complain one bit.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 11-08-2017 at 05:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:46 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm 36. I do not text while I drive. Texting can wait until I stop and can reply without taking the risk of injurying myself or others around me. And rarely do I talk on the phone while driving, but when I do, I have bluetooth for that.

Originally Posted by r53coop

I would think it is quite difficult to text while shifting. I am not real big into government telling me what I have to do but if they told the car and phone manufacturers that they had to make systems that would not allow texting or viewing the phone screen while the car was in motion, I would not complain one bit.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:10 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Would think the responses to your question have allot to do with the age of the person.

Most people do not know how well a MINI handles. They see a "cute" car that looks like a small tractor trailer turned around backwards. Take those same people out and do a little "canyon carving" or some "mountain twisty runnin" and they come back will an entire different outlook. A MINI is not about 0-60 or long straight roads, its more about having your feet about a foot away from the front axle and the feel that provides in a nice tight switchback corner.

There is not too much better for me than throwing the stick around while on some nice curvy roads.

Glad to hear you are not into phone finger punching while driving.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I've had this Justa service loaner for a couple of days. The auto tranny is nice, but I'm beginning to understand why the stick shift advocates are saying what they're saying. This car would be more fun with a manual box, or at least paddles for the auto.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Yes. And we are contagious. Don't come here. Tell all the folks who have moved here recently, and there are millions of them, that they should leave before they get infected. When they're gone, we'll have less traffic and it will be possible to have a stick shift again without enduring left leg cramps from working the clutch in the gridlocked stop-and-go that is now constant here..

Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop

Cars and roads, can't think of anything that the government isn't more involved with. Cars are completely filled with safety devices, pollution controls, etc. and roads are built with public money mostly.

You can easily use voice recognition to text, pretty much the best way for old fingers to do it. I've never texted while driving, in fact I hate texting. Dumbed down communication for lost generations

As for texting, I'd throw people in jail for a bit and let them text from there. We've had some family crashes due to texters hits!

Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 AM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I have had many manual sports cars, Porche, BMW & Audi. I love the feel of control with a manual transmission. However, as I have started to age, the limitation my body has begun to give me has made me go to an automatic transmission with paddle shift. I initially was reluctant but when I first drove my current JCW I was all in. I find myself using the sport mode and paddle shifter quite often but I have to remind myself to keep an eye on my speed. Just earlier today, I was on the expressway on my way to the office and found a 2nd gen who was up for some spirited play before I knew I was travelling over 130 with less than a mile to my exit. Had to slow down to smile and wave to the 2nd gen driver. The automatic transmission and the paddle shift also me to have fun and feel connected still.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Hardcore types will only do MINI with manual transmission. So TRUE....

I also have family members who occasionally need to use my car, they can't drive a manual. Also TRUE for US....

And Valets who go into a panic when they've seen one of our Manual Trans Cars needing to be parked.....

Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by nqr31467
I find myself using the sport mode and paddle shifter quite often but I have to remind myself to keep an eye on my speed. .
The Sport mode with paddle shifter rocks. My problem is I tend to forget to use it. And with the JCW with the Manic tune the freaking car jumps so fast when I hit the gas I don't need to downshift with them.