F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Dinan Elite vs. JCW Tune

Old 10-07-2017, 09:36 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Dinan Elite vs. JCW Tune

Okay, so I'm asking this w/o much hope of an actual 1st hand experience w/ this configuration.

I have a 2015 S w/ the JCW tune (great car and VG performance w/ full factory support)

Next year will likely trade for a new one.

Dinan now supports Mini w/ a Elite tune which has a piggyback full warranty for their tune. Meaning if there is an issue, not covered by BMW warranty, Dinan will pay for any repairs (for the normal 4 year 50k mile coverage).

Dinan cost is $900.

JCW tune package from Mini is twice that amount and more depending on your dealership.

BMW offers a similar tune to their cars (MPPSK) which is their equivalent to the JCW tune. It is expensive, but has the same factory warranty as the JCW tune.

(as an aside, both the JCW tune and the MPPSK include an exhaust that provides a more spirited sound) The Dinan does not.

Dinan also sells an Stage 1 Elite tune for the BMW's. I have their Elite on my 2017 M240i. It is a beast w/ that tune.

On the BMW forums, consensus is, the Dinan Elite provides better performance gains than the MPPSK sold by BMW. Consensus is the MPPSK exhaust sounds great.

Wondering if anyone has had installed the Dinan Elite to their Mini?

I am considering going w/ the Dinan Elite over the JCW tune next time not only for the $ savings, but the potential performance gains over the JCW tune plus the piggyback warranty coverage Dinan provides.

AS for the exhaust note, which I find myself laughing at the "farts and burbles", I can easily live w/o it.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What about the JB4 from Burger Tuning? $500+ and seems like it is similar to the Elite without the warranty.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:39 AM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine is a 15' F56 JCW. I had a Dinan Sport on it for 4 months was pretty happy with it. however, the boost comes unpredictably, not good enough for AutoX. Now I have the Elite and power comes so smooth and it feels like it was from factory. So far for 1 month already and 1 track day @ Thunderhill Racepark. Torque comes so early that I was able to pull away from a 911 as we enter the straight. you will be very happy with the Elite

The following users liked this post:
PIPnorcali-F56 (01-19-2021)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:52 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Yeah, I'm kinda partial to some warranty coverage w/ a new car. The NM power module is another option and appeared to have fewer issues than the Burger. Most of the owners seem to really like it.

Dinan has a long history w/ BMW (and Mini) and appear to have all the bugs worked out of their tuners. While their tuners don't yield all of an engine's potential, erring on the more moderate side seems to eliminate any issues.

For pure performance gains, the Burger modules seems to be the overwhelming choice. The caveat being the set up and getting just the right combination of adjustments for max performance w/o throwing codes.

Honestly, at my age, I'm looking to go the most uncomplicated route that I can w/ the best support.

As mentioned, the Dinan tuner on the BMW side seems to yield better performance than does the BMW MPPSK option. Hence my inquiry here.

It would drive me crazy to have a new car throwing a CEL or entering "Limp Mode". Not saying this will happen, but if it did, it would be a WTF moment in my life and then trying to resolve the issue. Just one potential problem I prefer to avoid.

Additionally the hassle of having to remove a non-warrantied tuner each time I visit Mini isn't all that appealing.

Having a dealer installed $900 Dinan tune w/ full support (dealer and Dinan) provides a level of comfort I'm willing to pay a bit more for.

Certainly not everyone's choice, but at least worthy of consideration when factoring all things in.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by one2three_us
Mine is a 15' F56 JCW. I had a Dinan Sport on it for 4 months was pretty happy with it. however, the boost comes unpredictably, not good enough for AutoX. Now I have the Elite and power comes so smooth and it feels like it was from factory. So far for 1 month already and 1 track day @ Thunderhill Racepark. Torque comes so early that I was able to pull away from a 911 as we enter the straight. you will be very happy with the Elite
Wow, thanks for the post. Honestly did not realize anyone here went the Elite route w/ Mini. I find similar feedback w/ the Dinan Sport on the BMW forums. As you stated most are happy with it, but a few are selling the sport and going w/ the Elite for the same reason you mentioned.

The Dinan Elite on my M240i is as fast as my 2015 Corvette in straight line acceleration to speed under 100MPH. Seriously quick. Additionally it is smooth when driven normally w/ no loss of fuel economy (getting 26 MPG around town). The Elite actually eliminated the slight hesitation I experience w/ my M240i in "Comfort mode", when pulling away from a stop light. Big fan of their products.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:43 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My experience in my 2016 4 Door S, with the factory JCW tune & exhaust, and I just upgraded from the Dinan Sport to the Dinan Elite.

I can agree with the comments already stated, the car is much more responsive in all gears. It has a much smoother power delivery. Six gear at 75mph, you hit the throttle and car just goes. There are much less "hiccups" with the Elite compared to the Sport & NM Power Module.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by camptown
My experience in my 2016 4 Door S, with the factory JCW tune & exhaust, and I just upgraded from the Dinan Sport to the Dinan Elite.

I can agree with the comments already stated, the car is much more responsive in all gears. It has a much smoother power delivery. Six gear at 75mph, you hit the throttle and car just goes. There are much less "hiccups" with the Elite compared to the Sport & NM Power Module.
So, if I understand you correctly, you added the Dinan Elite to your car which already had the JCW tune and you saw an increase in overall performance?

For me that seals it. Next MCS will get the Dinan Elite and forgo the JCW tune altogether.

Good to know Dinan is doing right by Mini again.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elite issue

Do you guys seen a cell p12a4 with elite install?

i have it installed and it feels ok but i didnt push it hard, i felt the torque came earlier........after a 3xx mile trip, i have pushed it and the car is not fast at all....and a cell p12a4 was thown...after the car is off and on again....it didnt show while driving...i cleared it and can repeat it. i have uninstalled the whole thing and the car is faster than with elite installed. .i have a obd2 gauge and see stock boost around 10psi vs 6 with it installed.

anyone seen this?

F57s 2017.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by donuttang
Do you guys seen a cell p12a4 with elite install?

i have it installed and it feels ok but i didnt push it hard, i felt the torque came earlier........after a 3xx mile trip, i have pushed it and the car is not fast at all....and a cell p12a4 was thown...after the car is off and on again....it didnt show while driving...i cleared it and can repeat it. i have uninstalled the whole thing and the car is faster than with elite installed. .i have a obd2 gauge and see stock boost around 10psi vs 6 with it installed.

anyone seen this?
F57s 2017.
So if understand you correctly, you have a 2017 MCS w/ just the Dinan Stage 1 Elite installed and you are experiencing an issue? I'm dumb so what is a P12a4? By cell are we talking CEL (Check Engine Light?).

So you removed something and the car is now faster w/ the Dinan Elite installed?

If while driving you are getting a CEL w/ just the Dinan Elite, call Dinan and get the coverage you are paying for.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:27 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET

If while driving you are getting a CEL w/ just the Dinan Elite, call Dinan and get the coverage you are paying for.

There have been reports of poor dirveability and CEL's -- Dinan unit was defective out of the box and replaced without hassle. Problem gone, as I recall.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:11 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
Yeah, CEL...(auto correct ).haha..in touch with them now....see how its goes...

yes, car is faster after i took it off...(back to stock performance....)..

Old 11-24-2017, 03:29 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Please check out this thread and comment on your experience. Thanks.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4347374

Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Azwildcat68
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jcw tuning kit and Dinan Elite

I added the JCW Tuning kit to my 17 MCS about 6 months ago but wanted a little more. I got a Dinan Sport which was very good but after a few weeks began to have some CEL problems. I ordered the Elite partially because of the warranty but also wanted a little more power. The Elite with the JCW kit is amazing. It is very smooth and is fantastic once you hit about 12 to 13 rpm. On the highway you have to be careful as it goes from 70 to100 in a heart beat. I can't recommend it more.

Last edited by Azwildcat68; 11-26-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Mis spelling
sbreech (08-01-2019)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:44 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I've heard of several people getting CELs with the Dinan Sport. Haven't heard the same problems with NM. I'll be giving the Elite a try in a couple f weeks and will let you know what I think of it compared to the NM Module. I also have the JCW Tune.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 AM
MRM5MAN
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Between the world of 'civilized' dealership tunes, grab the Dinan Elite. Best option before going with a company like DME tuning or ESS.

sbreech (08-01-2019)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay, so I'm asking this w/o much hope of an actual 1st hand experience w/ this configuration.

I have a 2015 S w/ the JCW tune (great car and VG performance w/ full factory support)

Next year will likely trade for a new one.

Dinan now supports Mini w/ a Elite tune which has a piggyback full warranty for their tune. Meaning if there is an issue, not covered by BMW warranty, Dinan will pay for any repairs (for the normal 4 year 50k mile coverage).

Dinan cost is $900.

JCW tune package from Mini is twice that amount and more depending on your dealership.

BMW offers a similar tune to their cars (MPPSK) which is their equivalent to the JCW tune. It is expensive, but has the same factory warranty as the JCW tune.

(as an aside, both the JCW tune and the MPPSK include an exhaust that provides a more spirited sound) The Dinan does not.

Dinan also sells an Stage 1 Elite tune for the BMW's. I have their Elite on my 2017 M240i. It is a beast w/ that tune.

On the BMW forums, consensus is, the Dinan Elite provides better performance gains than the MPPSK sold by BMW. Consensus is the MPPSK exhaust sounds great.

Wondering if anyone has had installed the Dinan Elite to their Mini?

I am considering going w/ the Dinan Elite over the JCW tune next time not only for the $ savings, but the potential performance gains over the JCW tune plus the piggyback warranty coverage Dinan provides.

AS for the exhaust note, which I find myself laughing at the "farts and burbles", I can easily live w/o it.

JCW tuning cost more but there is notjing like the peace of mind of walking into the dealer and not having to he worried about a mod you did lol . Been there done that and when I got the mini I said no more. OEM or nothing lol.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive been to 2 different dealers already for service with my Dinan elite , one is a currnet dinan dealer and one isn't and neither have expressed any issues with my tune. One service guy drove it and loved the car with it. Put the Dinan on!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:44 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ranger052
JCW tuning cost more but there is notjing like the peace of mind of walking into the dealer and not having to he worried about a mod you did lol . Been there done that and when I got the mini I said no more. OEM or nothing lol.
Yes, appox 3 time$ more. If the Dinan is installed by the Mini dealership/Dinan dealer or even a BMW/ Dinan dealer, any issues will either be resolved through MIN/BMW or Dinan. No fuss or extra legwork. Full coverage just like the JCW tune. If you throw a code or enter "limp mode" or have other issues, all are treated like a factory warranty issue. Completely transparent to the car owner.

Certainly it is a dice roll when putting on a "Fernando's or Nigel's" super race tuner or power module, if you start to have a problems and expect factory support. It ain't gonna happen. Additionally, if they find the car was tampered w/ it's flagged for any future issues that could be traced back to the tune and/or you'll wind up removing that tune so you can at least enjoy owning a drive-able car while trying to re-sell the problematic tuner.

The big reason Dinan is the overwhelming choice by those who buy a new car, want a tune and still maintain full warranty coverage.

As an aside, my Mini Dealership is owned by the same person that owns my BMW dealership. My BMW dealership is also an authorized Dinan dealer. I asked my BMW Service Manager if I bought a new Mini, would they order and install the Stage 1 Elite install on my Mini. He said they would w/o issue. If I should have a problem w/ the tuner, I bring it to BMW, everything else is through Mini. Full support for 4 years 50K miles. What is nice, the BMW Svc mgr knows the Mini svc mgr (I know them both) and was told Mini/BMW won't abandon me should anything pop up. Another nice feature, the Mini motors are BMW motors.

Highly unlikely anything problematic will occur w/ Dinan, but should it, all it comes down to who does the warranty work (they are 5 minutes away from each other).

Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

The big reason Dinan is the overwhelming choice by those who buy a new car, want a tune and still maintain full warranty coverage.
I think the main reason people went/go with the Dinan Sport is price, since it's $100 cheaper than the NM. The Elite is still new and I don't believe there's enough data out to make an informed decision.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 AM
mouh60
1st Gear
JCW Tuning

I have a 2017 F56 MCS which I had a JCW Tuning Kit installed. It's perfect for my purposes which is not 0-60 in a nano second but extra oomph when getting on the highway or going around corners. I had a Dinan Sport on my previous Mini (2014 F56 Justa) which I installed on my MCS on top of the JCW Tuning Kit. It's a little beast. I've had it on for about a year with no issues at all. No lights, limp mode or anything. It just pulls. It also has a K&N Typhoon air intake and a Sprint Booster along with a coil-over kit.
I purchased my Dinan Sport from an aftermarket but, a couple of months ago I was at the dealer picking up a part and I noticed that they had Dinan Sports on the shelves. Didn't ask but I'm assuming if they carry on the racks, they sell it and if so, they install and warranty. It's pretty much perfect for my needs but, I keep thinking about the Elite.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:44 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mouh60
I have a 2017 F56 MCS which I had a JCW Tuning Kit installed. It's perfect for my purposes which is not 0-60 in a nano second but extra oomph when getting on the highway or going around corners. I had a Dinan Sport on my previous Mini (2014 F56 Justa) which I installed on my MCS on top of the JCW Tuning Kit. It's a little beast. I've had it on for about a year with no issues at all. No lights, limp mode or anything. It just pulls. It also has a K&N Typhoon air intake and a Sprint Booster along with a coil-over kit.
I purchased my Dinan Sport from an aftermarket but, a couple of months ago I was at the dealer picking up a part and I noticed that they had Dinan Sports on the shelves. Didn't ask but I'm assuming if they carry on the racks, they sell it and if so, they install and warranty. It's pretty much perfect for my needs but, I keep thinking about the Elite.
Elite has the piggyback warranty from Dinan (which covers what the Mini warranty doesn't should something major go wrong), the sport doesn't (even if dealer installed). However there is a warranty on the sport tuner should it go bad. Having the sport tuner on the may compromise a Mini factory warranty claim should it be associated w/ the tuner and a something engine related.

JCW tune is very nice just as a stand-alone. Honestly does transform the car's performance.

mouh60 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:04 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm leaving the Burger JB behind and going Dinan Elite on my 2019 JCW. The JB on my F56S made great power, however it was more like a light switch. In 55,000 miles I never threw a cel or a hiccup

sbreech (07-15-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 08:16 PM
joeybananaz18
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
So i understand that you can have the JCW tuning kit AND the dinan elite together but does the dinan elite cancel out the tune from the JCW kit? What im getting at is that the JCW kit adds around 15hp and the dinan adds around 50hp. If i had the JCW kit already installed, is it 50 on top of the 15?

Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joeybananaz18
So i understand that you can have the JCW tuning kit AND the dinan elite together but does the dinan elite cancel out the tune from the JCW kit? What im getting at is that the JCW kit adds around 15hp and the dinan adds around 50hp. If i had the JCW kit already installed, is it 50 on top of the 15?
As I understand it, it does cancel out the other tune. The Dinan tuner overrides the car's ECU settings and boosts or alters them in some fashion. So, whether the car is stock or has a flash tune (which is what the JCW tune is), the Dinan will adjust whatever the setting are to increase the car's performance. That being said, the a JCW tune that is already installed may adjust some ECU settings that will not be affected by the Dinan tune and could provide some additional performance over a stock install, but that is just me speculating.

Most owners who have the JCW tune and then add another tuner (be it Dinan or another) do rave about how much faster their car is with the power module. The same can be said about those that add a power module to a stock MINI. The only way to know for sure would be to dyno a stock car, then dyno it with the Dinan installed, then remove the Dinan and flash the car with a JCW tune,; dynno the car again, and the add back the Dinan and run a 4th dyno. That way most variables would be eliminated.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:27 AM
joeybananaz18
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
As I understand it, it does cancel out the other tune. The Dinan tuner overrides the car's ECU settings and boosts or alters them in some fashion. So, whether the car is stock or has a flash tune (which is what the JCW tune is), the Dinan will adjust whatever the setting are to increase the car's performance. That being said, the a JCW tune that is already installed may adjust some ECU settings that will not be affected by the Dinan tune and could provide some additional performance over a stock install, but that is just me speculating.

Most owners who have the JCW tune and then add another tuner (be it Dinan or another) do rave about how much faster their car is with the power module. The same can be said about those that add a power module to a stock MINI. The only way to know for sure would be to dyno a stock car, then dyno it with the Dinan installed, then remove the Dinan and flash the car with a JCW tune,; dynno the car again, and the add back the Dinan and run a 4th dyno. That way most variables would be eliminated.
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Like, is power extracted from different points in the power band? In a way, I almost wish the JCW exhaust was sold separately from the tune. If the increase is just about 15 hp, that most likely all comes from the tune. Exhaust probably only gives you the sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Dinan Elite vs. JCW Tune