F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Front Seat makes loud Creaky Squeaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Seat makes loud Creaky Squeaking Noise

Three Times I been to Steven Creek Mini for service and complain about a Loud Noise from my front seat. And like usual, the service department tells me they could not find it. So I'm asking the Mini forum for help in order to find somebody with the same problem. Then I can show them this thread and video.

The sound happens in stop and go traffic. When I press on my brakes or engage my clutch, the shift in weight from my legs, result in the sound. The sound becomes louder when I adjust the seat height up and pull out the Thigh support.

U tube Video Below (I hope it shows up in the post):
You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

If it does not show up, go to this link:
Thank You

Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If you can demonstrate it like that and they can't find it, they should just replace the seat. Probably a simple fix.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:40 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They can't hear that?? Under warranty.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
Thank You for

Minnie the Moocher and Toy Car

Thank You for replying to my Thread

Mini of Steven Creek in Bay Area CA claim they can not reproduce the problem.

This is the same BS the Service Department uses when they don't properly check the car out.

I will take it back before my warranty expires.

I found other owners with this problem and I will post it late.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:54 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What would be the reason for the dealer to not do a warranty repair? I thought they usually charge MINI USA more hours than actual and make money doing warranty repairs.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
I Found other people with same problem

Now I can go back to the Dealership and make them repair my New Car. The Dealer Service department are the worst.

…………………………………………………………………………………….

01-09-2016 by Derekh929 JCW Seat Squeak/creak www.minif56.com/forum

Subject: 2015 Mini Cooper Forum > MINI F56 Model-Specific Forum Discussion > MINI JCW F56 Forum > JCW Seat Squeak/creak

ok this is starting to get annoying the back of seat bolsters on drivers seat creak and squeak when I'm in car driving also the the front of the seat , average height and weight but broad shoulders.
Ok with wife but it seats the bolster makes loads of noise if you squeeze or push it on drivers side only and the plastic at seat controls against the leather making noise as well, would silicon spray between plastic and leather help? Or other type of lube?
Also window and drivers door rattle getting worse I thought it was the window seals tried putting rubber coating on them and trying window down slightly no difference, could be from seat belt area though.

12-20-2016 by Sootyvrs Seat squeaking over bumps???

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem??

When driving over less than perfect roads the drivers seat squeaks over every bump to the point it was driving me mad!!

I think I've isolated the problem as when I move the seat one notch forward or backward the squeak stops so it's only on my optimal seating position! I currently driving with the seat one notch closer to the pedals which I don't mind but wondered if there's something that can be done e.g. WD40 or silicon spray over the seat runner perhaps?

12-20-2016 by Davyboy

I had similar but happened when I pressed the clutch pedal and released it which made me think it was the clutch!

Dealer found it was the seat and used some sort of silicon under the front, been fine since and this was a few months ago

12-21-2016 by Chandlerbing

Had a squeek myself. Dealer changed the upholstery second time it wasn't resolved. Nof squeek free.

02-07-2017 by Jordyn92

I had a issue with a squeaky drivers seat in my mini it took 3 attempts to get it resolved, first time they replaced the extender, Then they told me they changed the base (Which was a Lie) then they said they changed the base again (actually changed it this time) It turns out there was a weld on the seat base that had failed. Was really annoying

01-11-2016 07:36 AM by Teefur

I get same problem with seat, but only from the front passenger seat. Worst when no one is sitting in it but also when there is. It's starting nip my head!

Any ideas to fix would be good...

03-17-2016 04:16 PM by Unkle Paulie www.minif56.com/forum

Subject: Drivers Seat

I drove 3hrs today to a meeting, when I got back in the car and pushed the clutch down my seat creaked. It's on the left side only and it didn't matter what I did it continued to creak every time! 3hrs is a long time with a noise like that!!!!

Anyone had a similar issue?

03-17-2016 04:17 PM By: Unkle Paulir

Go to your dealer. Mine was in my back. They changed the upper apolstery

06-27-2015 12:30 PM By: Tonyro

Subject: My seats creak, do yours?

They've been creaking since day one - when I accelerate, decelerate, and corner. Mind you, I'm not driving aggressively, still breaking the car in (800 miles so far).

The creaking sounds like it's coming from underneath the seats, perhaps from the rails. When stationary, I can't get the seats to creak (by leaning back, forward, side to side, etc). The car has to be moving (?).

06-28-2015 4:32 PM By: MPower

Yep, experience the same thing. The seats creak when slightly accelerating or cornering. I had my dealer take a look at it and they came up with the good ol' "could not replicate problem" excuse.

06-29-2015 11:56 PM By: RussKeys

I had the same problem. Sounded like I had a frog in my car on the passenger side. Turns out when I adjusted the passenger seat after vacuuming the back that it wasn't locked in position. The sound was really irritating and I was about to call the dealer to have them look at it. Just on a whim, I sat in the passenger seat and moved it back a bit and the frog went away. Haven't had the problem since. Same thing occurs with the drivers seat when you move it forward to put something in the back seat but I usually locks when you sit in the seat or start driving. Hopefully this helps.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Sounds like the rails have just a little play in them. Or the metal bars that go long ways to take the weight(like a spring) then rubbing into the foam. Thats my guess.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-27-2017, 03:59 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
Thanks

Thanks ECS Tuning for your reply.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (11-06-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:32 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
More reply's on seat problem

01-11-2016 by teefur

I get same problem with seat, but only from the front passenger seat. Worst when no one is sitting in it but also when there is. It's starting nip my head!

01-11-2016 by donnaj1dlh

My Dad would tell me to "turn my wireless up"! But I agree it must be very annoying. I practically tore out the back of my MINI trying to find my rattle which turned out to be faulty shocks. Sometimes we just can't find it on our own. Hope you get it fixed though!!

01-172016 by derekh929

Anyone else had these seat noises and from pillar area beside front seats

01-17-2016 by Rob Arias

Anyone else had these seat noises and from pillar area beside front seats

03-03-2016 by Souper

It's a common misconception that it's the seals that cause the window rattle. It's actually the glass moving out of its specified position. They tried to fix mine 4 times, including replacing the glass and every part. The glass still shifted; realignment silences it until it shifts again after a few 10s of miles. It's impossible to drive with the window knocking on the car right next to your ear. I put up with it for 6 months while they tried to solve it, but no joy. Now I have a Mazda, so no such problems.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by crxtomini
Thanks ECS Tuning for your reply.
Welcome.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
Update

I went to the dealership on 11/13/2017. And told them that I Posted my problems with my f56 mini on the North America Mini Forum.

They are now going to order the parts to fix my Mini.

I also have another problem. My [B]door seals are extremely DRY[\B] at the Top Rear Cornier. The cornier seals have no moisture. The rest of the seal is soft and excellent. They are scratching the clear coat off my car. If this is not repair, it will rub the paint off my car. I'm heading toward my last service. I need them to repair this while it is under warrantee. Please check your car also. A number of cars have this problem.

Photo 1 of my car door seal that has DRY ROT.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/picture/8625010

Photo 2 of my car door seal that has DRY ROT.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/picture/8625011

Here are two photos by other users that door seals rub against their paint job.

Photo-3
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/picture/8625013

Photo-4
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/picture/8625021

by: Hat 08-13-2015
Yep thats the one, caused by an over abrasive door seal .

4 days my car has now been back so i'm assuming the paint guns have come back out. I'm adamant I'm not going to chase them to find out what's happening but it had better be perfect when i get it back this time

by: Johnan 08-23-2015

They supposedly have produced an "improved" version of the rough seal/gasket thing, which apparently is also a dismal failure, so they must be aware of the problem at Mini, to action a redesign.
My dealer had never heard of the issue either.

by: Andyjshaw26 08-27-2015

Chased my dealer up today for an update. They have received this reply from Mini...

'technical - We are aware of this situation and are working on a fix. New seals are currently in production but are not available yet so no corrective action can be taken at this time.'

Hopefully won't be long!?

by: hotrunner 04-25-2016

De old doorrubbers are stiff and hard.
The new one are soft.

At 21 October 2015 all dealers were given a message: foil en new doorrubber

PuMA: 61343182 (-02)
Number doorrubber: left 51337458245 / right 51337458246

by: Falnano 05-18-2017

Sad to see this issue has been known by MINI for a very long time, yet new cars are still shipped with this issue. I just found out about this issue via these forums and of course I went outside to check my car (2017 F56 S) that is only 6 months old....and yes there are scratches on both the driver and passenger side. I guess ill be going back to the MINI Service Center.

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update. I bet they just made the rubber a little too hard/durable from the factory and caused rubbing down the road from that supplier. Have not seen that much rubbing on the door jamb before. Usually, once a Puma goes out the new parts fix it.

They work with the suppliers and then find a solution.

Those 2 parts are in our system:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2998782__ES2998783/

Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
After you get the gaskets corrected you might try 303 Rubber Seal Protectant to maintain them. I bought mine on Amazon.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM
crxtomini
1st Gear
Thanks Vetsvette

I will follow your advice

When the Door Seals are replaced, I will go to Amazon and purchase the seal protector.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
This is what BMW group uses and I use on my convertible top rubber seals.

Gummi Pflege

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-autosol-parts/autosol-rubber-care-gummi-pflege/6501kt/