F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 First Time Buyer/owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Isher
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Buyer/owner

Hello! Figured I'd introduce myself. I've always wanted a Mini for ages, but never really latched onto one because of cost at the time, and the fact they used to only come as a 2-door. Well, I'm finally almost ready to buy a 2017 Cooper 4-door.

I test drove a Clubman that they had (naturally) given all the fancy options...but I just want a bare bones Cooper S 4-door with an automatic. Maybe the anthracite headliner and piano black interior.

I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before buying, but I'm already excited. But, as a first time owner, I do have some concerns! I've read about the earlier 1st gens having issues with supercharger pulley failure, and I was curious if there's any things I should be aware of with a Gen 3 so I can get myself a good, detailed maintenance schedule written out to adhere to.

Glad to be here.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not sure what issues the current gen cars have but they do have some. They no longer have Mini models with superchargers they are now all turbocharged.

If you have certain insurance carriers (like say GEICO) they have some extended warranty options you can add to your coverage that are as good or better than anything you can get from Mini.

If you don't have an insurance carrier that has that kind of add on then I would suggest getting a Mini plan based on your expected mileage and years of ownership. This all depends on your willingness to absorb extra costs after the sale. Many repairs can be costly. Some repairs can pay for the extended plans first repair. Be aware though that there are two plans you can get. There is an extended warranty and extended maintenance plan. One extends the warranty (covers repairs) and one extends the maintenance plan(stuff like oil changes etc..). There are also several levels of both extended warranty and extended maintenance plan. They both cover varying levels of issues.

I would absolutely suggest you go back to your local dealer and test drive the cooper s 4 door with automatic as it will drive differently than a clubman. It will also be hard to find a bare bones one on some dealers lots. My local dealers have few if any barebones models. If you are willing to wait two months for one to be built and delivered you can order whatever you want though.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Will hold the "welcome to NAM" until you buy one.

Where did you hear that the Gen1 cars, my current R52 was preceded by a R53 both of which are Gen1, had supercharger pulley problems?????? The Gen1 has the cast iron block Tritec engine and is a pretty good engine as long as you do not use non-premium gas that leads to premature valve guide wear and subsequent burnt valves. There is a $5 crank sensor o-ring that needs to be replaced about every 30k or you will get some oil leaks but other than that the Gen1 car is a pretty good performer. Now the Gen2 with the N14 Prince engine is another matter. Know a guy with 240,000 miles on his car but also know others that say to avoid the N14 at all costs.

The car you are looking at has a BMW engine and the interior is of course the most up to date there is. It is the closet to a BMW that a MINI has ever been according to many that have them. Some in the Gen1 crowd think the car has a front end that looks like a fish mouth and the MINI is no longer a mini but a maxi. I can tell you that the cars handle very well. Had both a CM and a Clubman in a recent mountain run and was amazed at how well the cars handled.

If you buy a new one, IMO you follow the maintenance schedule that is in your warranty book

Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
FYI not only did I send you a PM but there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum section about buying a mini you should read. There is A TON of information out there on how to get the best deal for your money.

I know you said you want a bare bones Mini but there is one feature out there that I absolutely have regretted not getting on my most recent Mini(2015 coupe S) and that was the heads up display. For me(and again your mileage will vary) that was probably the single best feature Mini has added to the cars since 2010. There is one feature I will never pay for again as well and that's the panoramic sunroof ( in the Texas heat the one I got on 2010 hardtop wouldn't open during the summer months most of the time) but it might not be a bad choice anymore.

I ordered a new car TODAY that has the heads up and the technology package plus some other options which means its my dream car and I cant wait to get it in. I would suggest though that you do A LOT of research on the features and decide for your self what you need and what you want and what you could do without. If you cant find one on a lot and can wait a couple of months to get it just ask a dealer to order you a car(might require a deposit but in my case they will use that deposit as the money due at signing for my lease/your down payment).

Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Had a HUD on both of my Corvettes. Thought I would never use the thing, how wrong I was.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Had a HUD on both of my Corvettes. Thought I would never use the thing, how wrong I was.
Yeah I told my dealer a car without a HUD wasn't even something I would consider this time around ( regretted letting them talk me into the 2015 coupe that didn't have it)and since most HUD cars were $35k cars I had to order mine to get what I wanted. I got a 2018 S hardtop with tech pack, led headlights, spoiler, sport auto with paddles, HUD, and HK stereo ordered today. I am about to die waiting on it... Never should have ordered a car as impatient as I am but I don't regret it either...

Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I wasn't really informed about HUD when I ordered my 2015 JCW but I doubt I could have gotten it anyway as I didn't want anything but the radio! I believe the HUD requires at least the Visual Boost screen.

It's hard to order bare bones builds but it is my preference! I can live without gadegetry that always needs updates & is quickly outdated.

My preference would be analog gauges similar to the Chrono Pack that had water temp, oil pressure, amps, and I really want a DIPSTICK! :-)

Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I wasn't really informed about HUD when I ordered my 2015 JCW but I doubt I could have gotten it anyway as I didn't want anything but the radio! I believe the HUD requires at least the Visual Boost screen.

It's hard to order bare bones builds but it is my preference! I can live without gadegetry that always needs updates & is quickly outdated.

My preference would be analog gauges similar to the Chrono Pack that had water temp, oil pressure, amps, and I really want a DIPSTICK! :-)
I got an OBD2 reader that talks to my cell phone and tablet ($50 Amazon Fire). It the ability to display a lot of information including water and oil temp and amps. I don't recall that it displays oil pressure, but haven't really looked.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:21 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Conrad_Thomaier
I got an OBD2 reader that talks to my cell phone and tablet ($50 Amazon Fire). It the ability to display a lot of information including water and oil temp and amps. I don't recall that it displays oil pressure, but haven't really looked.
Great idea! Thanks!