F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 blind spot / convex / aspherical mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
blind spot / convex / aspherical mirrors?

Well- had a run-in with a motorcycle a few weeks ago. I got on the freeway fast, and moved over a couple of lanes right away... pretty sure I checked over my shoulder, but I believe he was hidden in the b-pillar. Thankfully all that resulted was some honking and finger waving. Anyway.

Is there a F56-specific blind-spot mirror? I see ones for previous models. Or what if you put a UK left-side mirror on- that would be wide, right? Something clean and integrated would be so nice.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 AM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (07-18-2019)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 ^ Mirrors are curved more overall and then about 3/4 the way out curved once again for additional coverage. One for non dimming factory and dimming factory option. You have to have that option. Cannot upgrade to it. They are easy to pop out and pop in. Check out the video on each full kit.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them on my 2011 Mini clubman and they are great. I even put them on my 2011 XC Volvo. These are standard equipment in Europe.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:29 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought mine from ECS and love them. 2016 4 Door

ECSTuning (07-17-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Ok, so I placed an order last week with ECS, for the non-dimming set... and just got notification that they're out of stock until September. Ouch.

Any reason I can't use the electrochroamatic set? When not plugged in, wouldn't they just be like normal mirrors?

Jeff

Old 07-31-2017, 12:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes, we just sold out. You can use them, the function the same. You will have the heat function but the autodim will not function. There are no extra wires there if you dont have that from the factory.

Thanks for the orders.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-03-2017, 09:16 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Having a MCS, C7 Corvette traded for a M240i, I've not found the need to change (or add fish-eys) to the side view mirrors. Usually where people are having issues w/ blind spots is more a matter of just adjusting the mirrors properly. Majority of the people seem to use their side view mirrors as rear views thus creating huge blind spots.

If when sitting in the driver seat and looking into either the right or left side view, if you see any part of your car in either mirror, they are not adjusted properly. When a vehicle vanishes from sight in your inside rear view, it should be a big as a house in one of your sideviews and remain visible until you just start to pick up in your peripheral side vision. I tend to glance left and right if I see nothing in my mirrors and have never had a close call.

Plenty of videos and primers showing how to set mirrors properly.

Last edited by USA-RET; 08-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Right, I set my side mirrors so there is very little overlap with the center rear-view mirror. Just look at something behind you, and set the side mirrors so you're not repeating what you already see in the center mirror. One problem with that is driving at night- you're now seeing very close & bright headlights from the next lane over. But it does give a wider field of view. I don't think it's ideal though, so I'm still looking forward to getting my blind spot mirrors. Will post my thoughts once I live with them for a bit...

Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Antmax
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I set mine so I can just see the edge of the car and the curb when backing up, otherwise as much of the lanes on either side as possible. only had my Mini a couple of days. Generally easier to see than my hardtop MX5. I like that the seating is quite high so I can see cross traffic when someone stops over the solid line at intersections when I want to turn right. Normally all I see is a bunch of quarter panel.

Glad you didn't collide with the motorcyclist. It can be pretty hard to merge onto the freeway here when a lot of traffic is doing 80mph in the slow lane. One of the reasons why I chose an S, makes it easier to get the speed to fit into a gap.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:38 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Following up...

Ordered a pair from ECS. Actually I think I ordered each separately because one of them was on sale for whatever reason. I got the auto-dimming set, though my car doesn't have auto-dimming, because the regular was out of stock. There is a very thin line that goes around the perimeter, which I think the non-dimming wouldn't have. So I wish I had regular, but glad I didn't wait for them to be in stock.

I LOVE that it no longer has the "objects in mirror... blah blah" text.

On the right side, the view is the same, except for a little bit on the far side that's extra convex to give a little wider view. It's pretty slight.

On the left side, you now get the same wide view as the right. I think it's a big improvement. The only downside- there is an odd effect where when you look over at the mirror, my eyes take a moment to re-focus. I don't know exactly why this is... I guess it's just having this convex mirror so close to me, versus the right side a good 5 feet away. Just something to anticipate and get used to. I think the benefit of wider view outweighs this annoyance though.

ECSTuning (07-18-2019)