F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 No Signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM
MES11
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Signal

Has anyone ever seen this happen to the head unit?

I was driving down the road and the screen turned off and then showed this. About a minute later it restarted like it does when the car turns on. I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow, but my confidence in them find out what happened is low. It's only happened once. Nothing out of the ordinary happened that day.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:55 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
What was playing on the head unit at the time?

Old 06-20-2017, 02:59 PM
MES11
2nd Gear
I was playing music that is on the hard drive.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
It'll be impossible to fix if they can't duplicate the problem. All they can do is run a diagnostic routine and hope something shows up.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:14 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Never seen that before. Yea, I would have them plug it in and run a test at the dealer.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Did you hit any bumps when it happened? Unusually hot inside car? Those would be my two choices if it isn't an internal failure. Sometimes a reboot is all it needs, after all cars are mostly computers now.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 PM
MES11
2nd Gear
So the dealership called and said... wait for it... they couldn't find anything wrong. Nothing in the error logs and no bulletins for this. Nothing unusual happened the day it happened. It was in the 80's and sunny. Didn't hit a bump. Guess it's just another gremlin. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I won't hold my breath.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This has happened before. Mostly people had the headunit replaced. It could be the satellite radio module or its antennae, even if it is not activated.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...my-stereo.html

Originally Posted by AlphaQuad
I had the same issue, my dealer replaced the headunit. the headunit is faulty and not putting out enough voltage to the display, hence the no signal message. the display and headunit are two separate parts. This no signal message has nothing to do with radio or sat radio functions.
Originally Posted by LauraHarlan
Went to the dealership on a Saturday June 28 purchased a new 2014 (Only 8 miles on it!). Drove 100 miles to dinner, and when we left to go home the Mini connect system displayed no signal. Drove home, turned the car off and restarted and the system came on. Went out to drive on Sunday, no signal again. Took it back to the dealer Monday, got a loaner until they could fix it. Found out it could not be fixed and a new system had to ordered. The part was going to take over a month to get. The dealer searched the USA inventory for another car with the same specs to no avail. They then offered to order us a 2015 and pay the difference. So, we are now waiting for our ncar, it should arrive this week! I cant wait to get out of the rental, even tho the dealership is paying!

Last edited by hammerhands; 06-23-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:10 AM
MES11
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info hammerhands. I sent AlphaQuad a message to see if there are an more details. I doubt the dealership will do anything unless it starts happening more though.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
No signal happening quite a bit now

I started getting the no signal upon startup. I would be in the garage when it happened. Not every time starting, but now more frequent and almost every time. Also started happening when not in the garage. it clears itself and functions normally as I go down the road a very short distance. I have a stubby antenna. I un-screwed and screwed back in thinking maybe loose or poor contact on antenna. Looking for my regular antenna to swap out, but can't remember where I put it.

Anyone have any update on this issue.

2014 MCS with all the Nav etc.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:45 PM
johnnyb2016
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this issue now.
It only seems to happen on start up if the headlight switch is in the auto position.
if the switch is off it is completely normal.
Seems to reboot after about 30 seconds and work normally.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:29 PM
chrome mini
1st Gear
No signal from Head unit on start up

I am having this issue now. I have taken a video and called the dealer. Over the phone the service adviser is unaware of this problem. Apparently it is a problem as all these threads indicate. Does anybody know an official stance of BMW. (2015 Cooper S with Navi, Satellite radio,etc). It seems like a computer rebooting after a power is turned off. Pressing the command button does nothing to the screen. No input will make the screen work. If the radio had been on when the car was shutoff it will play when this problem is occurring. If I had been listening to a blue tooth function that will not work until the system has booted itself. It takes approximately 3-4 minutes before the unit is fully functional. It is a safety issue though because my rear back up camera and parking sensors are inop until the system is functional. It happens in my garage as well as well as in the open with full exposure to the sky. Once it happens it does not seem to occur again during the day unless I drive a very short distance and shut off the system. Maybe a low voltage issue?
Car is at dealer now and of course they state they have never heard of the problem. I provided them with a usb stick with a video of the issue and the service adviser saw the problem happen in the service drive. They called me about 4 pm and told me that I needed a new battery which I did not authorize. The adviser said he talked to the shop foreman and that the battery had fixed this issue on 3 occasions. My car is out of the original warranty but has a factory mini extended warranty so I would have to pay for the new battery. From all the internet posts that I have seen it looks like the central sound system control unit fixes the problem. This has to be a known problem because both mini and bmw complaints on this are all over the internet. Tomorrow I will call Mini USA and talk to their consumer dept.
Does anyone else know of solutions for this issue?

Last edited by chrome mini; 01-23-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: update to post
Old 11-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife's 2015 Hardtop is now doing the same thing. I replaced the battery in the fob hoping that was a cheap solution, but it still happens. It does eventually seem to boot up. She has the original battery but the car seems to start normally. Any updates from anyone on this? I will try charging her battery overnight.

"... From all the internet posts that I have seen it looks like the central sound system control unit fixes the problem. This has to be a known problem because both mini and bmw complaints on this are all over the internet. Tomorrow I will call Mini USA and talk to their consumer dept. "

If this is the root cause, does anyone know if this is user replaceable?

Other than this, her car has been remarkably trouble free.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:53 PM
johnnyb2016
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fitted a new battery to my car, haven’t had any issues with it since.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
After doing some research it seems this 'no signal' error is a generic error message that could be any number of things both on Mini and BMW cars. Sometimes it is a bad head unit, sometimes the car needs a software update, sometimes it is another piece of hardware. It turns out in my wife's case it is related to a new iPhone that has a newer version of Bluetooth. After she paired to new phone to the car the problems started and if she turned off the phone when she approached the car, the car started normally. We deleted the offending Bluetooth profile and the car is fine now. Maybe she needs a software update.