F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 What part is this? Plastic behind the interior metal wall. Source of rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What part is this? Plastic behind the interior metal wall. Source of rattle.

On a long battle with never ending rattles, I found this thing as one major source.

It's on the right side wall where the seat belt hangs. Remove the plastic cover, and I see this metal screw dangling in here but not enough to fall out. I can't unscrew it either because the receiving thing behind the metal wall freely spins. If I try pull the screw out by force, I'm sure that the other end is going to just fall deep down inside the wall and that might become another rattle source. I can't pull out the receiving end behind the metal wall either because the hole is too small.

Is there a good way to fix this? Or let warranty handle this?
As a bandage fix, I put some foam tape between the metal screw and the panel.

Attached Thumbnails What part is this? Plastic behind the interior metal wall. Source of rattle.-problem1_20170519_222620.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by hp79
On a long battle with never ending rattles, I found this thing as one major source.

It's on the right side wall where the seat belt hangs. Remove the plastic cover, and I see this metal screw dangling in here but not enough to fall out. I can't unscrew it either because the receiving thing behind the metal wall freely spins. If I try pull the screw out by force, I'm sure that the other end is going to just fall deep down inside the wall and that might become another rattle source. I can't pull out the receiving end behind the metal wall either because the hole is too small.

Is there a good way to fix this? Or let warranty handle this?
As a bandage fix, I put some foam tape between the metal screw and the panel.
You answered it!

The shop foreman at MINI Portland is pretty good about dealing with rattles!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I've had that whole back panel off at least 10 times. I broke the plastic receiving piece on my previous car and just used a drywall wall plug instead. I had no screw there for a while but it never rattled. I'd just jam a piece of foam in there.