F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Ripped up the lower Rocker Panel - What do I do?

Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
It is the dealers fault. The original dealership design, built in Albuquerque, NM in early 2000's, was adopted by MINI worldwide. It won national architectural awards for its design..

My local dealership (built couple of years ago, same owners) has a drive through, covered area with garage doors, tiled floor. It has entrance doors to the service desk AND the showroom, with parts department in middle of showroom. There is no "equipment" in the area. The original building design of the portal, as stated by the architect, was for the customer to be sheltered from weather, rain, sun, and snow.

At this new dealership, the alignment equipment is in a shop bay where no customers are allowed entry. It appears that some dealerships (probably owned by company that has many different brand stores) violated the design concept for greed, not safety.

I would suggest contacting MINI home office (Germany) explaining the situation and ask them. All dealership architecture, worldwide, has to be approved by them, following the Albuquerque design. I would further ask them if it is common practice, now, to have equipment placed in the customer drop off portal.

By the way, my local dealership has the parking lot is completely full of new MINIs. No customer parking available, only next door at the BMW motorcycle store.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
It is the dealers fault. The original dealership design, built in Albuquerque, NM in early 2000's, was adopted by MINI worldwide. It won national architectural awards for its design..

My local dealership (built couple of years ago, same owners) has a drive through, covered area with garage doors, tiled floor. It has entrance doors to the service desk AND the showroom, with parts department in middle of showroom. There is no "equipment" in the area. The original building design of the portal, as stated by the architect, was for the customer to be sheltered from weather, rain, sun, and snow.

At this new dealership, the alignment equipment is in a shop bay where no customers are allowed entry. It appears that some dealerships (probably owned by company that has many different brand stores) violated the design concept for greed, not safety.

I would suggest contacting MINI home office (Germany) explaining the situation and ask them. All dealership architecture, worldwide, has to be approved by them, following the Albuquerque design. I would further ask them if it is common practice, now, to have equipment placed in the customer drop off portal.

By the way, my local dealership has the parking lot is completely full of new MINIs. No customer parking available, only next door at the BMW motorcycle store.
If you were talking about some piece of equipment that was placed in a way that would be a hazard to the designed vehicle traffic flow of the building, I might agree. For what it is - within it's lane, this is no different than a speed bump. How often do you cross them sideways? Isn't the first rule of learning to drive - to be aware of your surroundings? As we become experienced, does this no longer apply?

If you're in a neighborhood - and you go over a speed bump and immediately turn right, you're likely to hit a curb. Do you think the Town, City or State will pay for damages to your vehicle? Are there 4' markers located near these speed bumps?

As already posted - at some point, we have to accept responsibility for ourselves. There are already enough rules and signs. The last thing we need is more crap to protect us from ourselves.

To my knowledge, this laser alignment device simply says if there is an alignment issue. It does nothing to correct anything. Some locations (like some car garages) also have devices similar to this that check your tires tread depth and alert you if there's a problem. Same device, different purpose.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:59 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Teachable Moment Here fellow motorers.

Lots of opinions regarding who was in the wrong here. Not enough clarifying questions -- and not a lot of answers to the fair questions that have been asked.

In my long life, I've learned that it is often best to ask clarifying questions before drawing conclusions and, certainly, before assuming a complete understanding of a situation that may be more complicated than it first appears.

Of all those who have commented, only one person on this thread was there when it happened.

Some think they understand all the ins and outs. Some appear sure they have a complete enough understanding. I still have unanswered questions.

Ah, to be certain in these uncertain times -- it may provide comfort, or it may be folly.

Last edited by 2017All4; 06-17-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:53 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
MiniTigger, granted speed bumps have warning signs. 2017All4, only one person was there, but the photo shows a drive over inspection machine. A few looks at manufacturers websites shows all devices are positioned in service bays, off limits to the customer. A printout or app for phone shows results. As their adds say, increase your monthly service income by XXX amount. They even have laser scanners that do your plate number...
Anyway, the dealer, IMO, handled it in bad taste. After 5 Minis, I would find another dealer.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I have yet to see a speed bump with a warning sign. Do those warning signs say if you turn right, you may damage your vehicle?

Not sure why this device would need to be in the service bay - as they have much more calibrated machinery back there.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Great thread-read all the posts. Willing to bet there will be marking posts in that service bay pretty soon as others will most certainly suffer the same fate. Despite the red paint, you can't see it!

Search this Thread